When I brought my documents (I-134) to a notary in my town, he ink stamped his notarial seal but did not use the stamp that leaves an impression on the paper. When I asked him about it, he said that the law changed and notaries no longer need to use the impression stamp.

Has anyone heard about this? And do you think that the VO might question a document with only the notary's ink stamp?

In addition, when he signed my documents, he did not indicate the date. Do you think I might encounter problems... or am I just paranoid? :(

I haven't seen a Impression stamp for a long time. You will not have any problems with the ink stamp. He signed them that whats important, date them your self. :(

Different states and even different documents get notarized differently. Sa long as the notary stamp is used, it is singed, dated and the name of the notary is printed you should have no problem. I don't understand the notary not dating. When I went for certification of documents at DOS I had to get the county certification. They told me they would not accept it unless the name was printed or applied below the signature with a stamp. The clerk held up a pile of papers and said "These are all being mailed back for that reason". Needless to say I was picky at the courthouse about how they put the clerks name on.

As Dan R. indicated, public notaries in the U.S. are governed by state law. So, what kind of stamp/seal a notary is required/permitted to use in one state will differ with what a notary can use in another state.

OT: This is why notaries are not supposed to notarize documents when they cross state lines, and why the U.S. consulates abroad get to charge higher fees to notarize things.

Hi everyone!

I am a notary public for the State of Missouri. As has been stated, some states allow the use of an ink stamp instead of a seal. You can request the seal if you want. I have both. It is easier to stamp but on things I want to look very official I use both. If you feel uncomfortable with a stamp..as for the seal.

Are you sure you need a state notary? Isn't it a certification by the DOS? That is what China requires. The Chinese consulate required my certified divorce decree recertified by the State Department before the consulate could certify the papers. This was required when I thought we would do K-3.

For the I-134 you can get it notarized by USCIS (or the American Citizen Services Consulate in a US embassy) for free, or by any public notary (which may charge a fee). The instructions are on the form.

If you are marrying in China, you'll need a Single Certificate. You can get this one of two ways:

(1) American Citizen Services in one of the Consulates in China. There's a fee, but it's a one stop procedure; no running around to different offices. China marriage offices will accept these. Instructions are on the consulate web pages, including the fee involved.

(2) You can sign an affidavit that says you are single, and then have that notarized by a public notary (state). You then have to have this certified by the Chinese Consualte or Embassy in the U.S. that has jurisdiction over the state you have the notarization done. Before you can get that done, however, you will need to have the notary's stamp verified by a county clerk and then by the Secretary of State of the state you have the notarization done in. In some states, there may be an additional intermediary step between the county clerk and Secretary of State's apostille. Once again the steps are:

a. Sign the affidavit in front of a public notary;

b. Have the relevant county clerk verify the notary's seal;

c. Have the Secretary of State verify the clerk's verification (an intermediary step may have to come before this in some states); and finally

d. Have the China Consulate that has jurisidiction over the relevant state certify the Secretary of State's signature.

Stopping in a US Consulate is definitely simpler and less time consuming, but many have preferred to get the certifications done in the U.S. prior to going to China.

Many documents that you need to submit to Chinese authorities for registration require this running around, including those required for adoptions and registration of US law licenses.