Hi all, I have not been lately what I used to be before, our case is still stuck in the name check HELLLLLLLLL, I'm doing my very best to get it resolved, and it's been the hardest times of my life, but hope is still alive.... Anyway, my SO had been relocated to GZ and am planning a visit next June, it's the first time for me to go there. I've seen some special offers at Expedia.com, best deal is with Delta Airlines, and I wonder if anybody can offer some good advice on this (both Delta and Expedia). As we're planiing to visit HK, I guess I should get a multiple visa, right? Thanks as always!!

Mari,

You can save the expense of a mult-trip visa (not that cheap anymore) --- if you arrive in HK, vist HK, and then enter China. OR: Fly directly to Guangzhou, use the visa, then exit through HK OR: Do your roundtrip into HK, visit at both ends of the trip in HK and then leave.....

Mari good to hear from you, sorry about the Hell they are puting you through. I found a good travel agency here in Seattle that always beat anything I found on the internet by at least $100, a friend of mine would always call first and talk to them in Chinese, I Think that helped a little.

I look at two or three sites, pick the two cheapest airlines, and then if I can I go directly to that airlines web site to see if they have a special on that flight. I did that with Northwest and saved $105. If am in no hurry and a good price is not available, then I'll search again every two days. If I can get a good price I'll get my tickets 1.5 to 2.0 months in advance. I like Yahoo Travel most, for many reasons. If you get a flight that uses an overseas carrier then you may have to pay about $15 more for the tickets to be mailed to you. Overseas carriers cost more on average, but are better on average. I'll pay $50 more for an overseas carrier. I fly out of LAX to GUZ, and have paid from $726 - $895.

I'm now looking at all sites, and they got very good deals, you guys are experts on these matters! I'm concerned if it will be possible and easy to change dates later if needed. Jenny, I'm very happy that you made it safely to USA. I think very soon I will post some good news. I've written to every possible office, to include Maura Harty, still haven't got an answer from her, but we're almost at the end of the road... I've found that in order to move things along, you need to knock on the right doors, later I will give some details on what has happened in the last months. One thing I do want to say is that founding this site has helped me so much in getting useful information and to cope with one of the most difficult situations in my life. Thanks Don and the others who had such wonderful idea and initiative.

Hey mari,

I was wondering what was happening with you. What your going through is so sad. If I remember right, you should have been in GZ the same time I was, but then came the dreaded second name check. :(

I'm sorry to hear your still waiting, but it's good to hear from you.

I joined www.aircourier.org and flew to Honhg Kong r/t last April 2004 for $400.

Then I flew on China Southern r/t LAX to Nanning via Guanzhou 1st time $850 this time $890.

do you know what is up with these flights?

I tried one for feb of this year but was told by the people I use (Joined the same org. in nov of 202 and made 1 1/2 trips with them.. sweet) no more flights to NYC from HK.. :rolleyes:

I ended up with a nice flight out of GZ on NWA rt for 500.00 and change.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

Many people here seem to like China Southern Airlines quite well especially for flying to Guangzhou from LAX. I just returned from Guangzhou two days ago. As far as I can see, China Southern Airlines is the only one that flies non-stop from the US to Guangzhou. Almost everyone else goes through Tokyo. I'll throw a fly in the ointment and just say that my experience with China Southern Airlines is absolutely the worst I have ever had. I'm a veteran of about 40 rountrips to Asia and have flown every major airline going there from the US. I have never seen a more rinky dinky, unprofessionally run airline system than China Southern and I have never seen seats so close together on an airline. I'm only 5'8" tall and had only about 2 and 1/2 inches of room between my knees and the seat in front of me. Whent the guy in front leaned back, the seat was nearly in my chest. The surely flight crew literally runs to fix the first meal as the airplane is still trying to climb to altitude after take-off. Then they quickly all disappear to the crew rest area below and you will not see them again for 10 or 11 hours. The check in counter people in Guangzhou sucked. They were rude as hell to us. What a joke of an airline!!!! "I'll never fly them again I don't care if they give me the tickets for free. Beware of Delta Airlines because they code share with this terrible Chinese airline system and that's who you'll fly to Guangzhou if you buy tickets there on Delta.

A friend of mine has flown China Eastern before several times and loves them but they stop in Tokyo for flights to Guangzhou. Also Northwest Stops in Tokyo on flights to Guangzhou. Not bad if you can have a pleasant experience going and coming. For my money, I would rather fly Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines (first rate airlines) to HK then figure out how to get to Guangzhou just to avoid going anywhere near China Southern Airlines. If you hit them at the right time for a sale their tickets are often cheaper than the third rate airlines.

And FlyChina.com may save money for some, but for me I ended up paying premium dollar for that sorry ass China Southern. I could have flown anyone else for the same price.