Traditional Gift?

So = significant other

My SO told me to bring gifts for her father, her sister, her sister-in-law, her father's SO (her mother is dead), and her 2 siblings children. I did all that and then got in trouble for not bringing a gift for her brother. And it seemed her father did not think his gift was expensive enough... :huh: Of course all Americans are filthy rich according to all Chinese.

My advice..Good luck.. :huh:

Of course all Americans are filthy rich according to all Chinese.

Not all Chinese think we are all filthy rich, nor do they care. Some do, but then you find this in every country. The rich and their attidtude when they travel makes a bad name for the rest of the Americans.

I took gifts for Mother, Father and Family.

Both Mother and Father did not really care about gifts. They are more happy their daughter found someone special. They worried about her, now I am told they worry about her younger sister.

On my second trip I brought her father some American Whiskey. Seemed to go over real good.

Being a Artist and love to work with wood too, I been told to make something with roses for her mother, I still trying to think of something, I be giving it to her just before I go home a week after I meet the family which will be a week after our marriage. Her father smokes a pipe and my sister collect pipes thinking about buying one off her. Rest of the family not sure yet, I know the adopted sister love harry potter books and learning english, so bringing my collection for her.

Robert

Some of the old timers will relate that money given to the Mother-in Law with a face value ending in"8" will bring good luck and the family in many ways will "repay" the gesture(Trigg either some input here or acknowledgement of how old you are!).

Funny, I took over some good scotch whiskey and it really didn't excite anyone...alcohol didn't seem to be high on their list. On the other hand there is a lot of interest in the NBA; so the Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady jerseys went over huge.

I think that the gesture is much more important than trying to overwhelm the family with "rich American" type expenditures.

Most important is that you are going to cherish and protect their daughter.

Phil & Yun