Seem to recall marriage between two foreigners is allowed, but not for sure and certainly would help for at least one of you to know Chinese. You might both have to also be residents of China. You can find info on marrying in China on the Embassy/consulate web sites along with phone numbers for the offices. But again, I don't think they speak English.

Thanks for the info

ok still need to talk to Thoa, but john brought up a interesting Question

if married in HK do we go through HK or viet nam on visa? she be living in Viet nam but we planning to marry in China.

as will need 2 witnesses for wedding the first week of june if anyone interested at hong kong. ( still depend on if we marry in china or she decide we marry in Viet nam) got one big promise to marry me so no longer worry just figuring out where, when, and what time.

Robert

Can a american and viet namese marry in china?  She said she marry me but we have to marry outside the country so her family have no say.

Robert

This is too complex. Take the easy road out. A person with a vietnamese passport can go to Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos for 30 days without a problem. Check the rules in each of these nations. However, then be warned, that the Visa may have to be applied for through them!

Thanks for the info

ok still need to talk to Thoa,  but john brought  up a interesting Question

if married in HK  do we  go through HK  or viet nam on visa?  she be living in Viet nam but we planning to marry in China.

as will need 2 witnesses for wedding  the first week of june  if anyone interested  at hong kong.  ( still depend on if we marry in china  or she decide we marry in Viet nam) got one big promise to marry me so no longer worry just figuring out where, when, and what time.

Robert

If you *marry* in HK, you go through HK, which is MUCH faster.

But, it is NOT EASY for a Vietnamese Citizen to get a visa to go to HK...

Singapore is a good one. Neither needs to be a resident. One of you would need to take a one month holiday there to apply and qualify. Americans can visit short term without a visa.

Singapore is ASEAN, and so a Vietnamese Passport holder may be able to go, but only for 30 days at most. The processing at the consulate there is EXTREMELY FAST.

However, to be there for more than 30 days requires a special passport, the exact reason they say more than 30 days. It is tough...

Can you try Malaysia (another ASEAN nation)?

She finally letting things sink in, after finally deciding to marry without her family permission she decide we take a 3 hour train trip to Hue and marry there. the fact of going to hk a city neither one of us know scared her, os we decided on Hue. BUT she very stubborn on the wedding date june 6th, God grant me sanity for the 4 days in same room before marriage to think of cheetos, cheetos, cheetos.

since she has made your dicision she more relax and happier and so am I.

when she told me only death will keep her from marrying me. Please, god grant her a long life.

robert

• 3 weeks later...

I see Singapore is mentioned as a place to Marry but am curious if the Consulate there would let you file an I-130 and process since neither are citizens in Singapore.Or am i missing something in the consulate web site? Thanks in advance. Paul