Finally got the visa

Yea Thomas,

My wife messed up by giving this woman too much info. I was prepared to move to China so I had no problems caloing her bluff but I think everyone needs to be very very careful when giving out personal info-we got away with it but I'm starting to think others have not.

Given the corrupt nature of some of the modern Chinese authority types, it is somewhat normal for our SOs to believe these "agents" when they tell them they have connections in the consulate. Maybe a very good idea for people to warn their SOs not to discuss anything with anyone before calling hubby!?

If you think about it it is a very lucrative scheme. Most Chinese think all of us Americans are rich anyway so if they know your SO is marrying one they can try and blackmail her with threats of derailing the visa with third party corespondence. It appears that it works. GZ needs to do a better job of investigating these cases. Trigg is right. It is best to keep mum and be very very careful who you tell what.

Earlier I was under the impression that it could take months to have the case reconsidered. How did you get listened to so quickly? What is the procedure? Unfortunately you experienced one of the problems that all of us fear after the long wait and getting so close.

Congratulations at overcoming the nearly insurmountable.

Just to update...we are back home in Tennessee and all went well. Shuping had it easy coming through immigration/customs in Los Angeles. Now we are just resting and she is trying to recover from the jet lag. She loves the town and our house but is still trying to gather the courage to pet the dogs. Can't believe she actually likes the carpet in our bedroom, but then again maybe I will come home tomorrow and find her mopping it. Thanks again to all here at Candle. I promise to post the whole story about our problems in Guangzhou soon.

First of all Chuck, let me say congrats. I'll bet your glad all that is over.

As for all this third party nonsense. This brings back a memory from our visa days of a year ago. My SO went to GZ for something maybe about 2 months before we had our interview. she talked to one of the "agents" who work outside the consulate. The 'agent' told her she could get us the interview within a month (for $500.00) because she "knew" the right people at the consulate.  My wife had given this person a lot of personal info. My so then called me and told me about it and I told wifey "Hell no" As I was sure we would have P4 within a month anyway. Well, my SO told the lady and the lady told my wife that she would call people she "knew" at the consulate and make sure we never got a visa.  I called this lady and told her I would report her to every possible agency in the known universe--she backed off.

We refused to give in to this extortion and had the P4 a month later and no problem getting the visa. Point here is do any of these people really have people the "know" in the consulate??? Can these criminals actually stop a visa in progress???

If anyone has any info on this it may benefit greatly those who are waiting.

Trigg

i would be curious to know if some of these "third party vendors" are on the consulate preferred vendor list of legal advice in town.

i would not put it past some of these people to have connections with people inside the consulate.

if you check the consulate website today:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...ou/cg/jobs.html

these job opportunities consulate workers only require a high school education, and can be local chinese people or US citizens. i wonder how many chinese high school graduates would not be tempted by helping to hinder or push through some papers for a few extra hundred buck a months? that could be more than their full time salaries there?

and how can anyone at the consulate ever know or check up on it?