OT. Time for a new music thread..:)

What!? Have you forgotten "Beep Beep" by the Playmates. And our parents said our generation had no real music!

While riding in my Cadillac

What to my surprise

A little Nash Rambler was following me

About one-third my size

The guy must have wanted to pass me out

As he kept on tooting his horn <beep beep>

I'll show him that a Cadillac

Is not a car to scorn

and how about Brian Hyland's "Sealed With A Kiss" what were you guys doing at summer camp?

How about the Supreme's last song "Someday We'll be together" maybe someone could arrange to play this outside the GZ Consulate on a loud speaker.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennett

Now Mike.. see.. this is the reason it took 19 months for outr visa. Not only did I forget to cross my T's and dot my I's... I completely left some of them out!!!

Nice one dan R.. :) I like your sense of humor and the Supremes as well..

I have that "sealed with a kiss" but think this one is covered by Ricky Nelson.

Rock and Roll is great fine and dandy but the USA has a much wider musical history. I don't think we have hit on the Blues or R & B or even yikes country.. hehehe

And what about some of the newer music. I certainly don't know the groups names but listened to Maroon 5 on the way to the airport... not bad but they did sound like another group from about 6 or 8 years ago,

Speaking of the ride to the airport.. My sister played "The Guess Who" must have been greatest hits and wow!! darned if i didn't know just about.. and liked, ever song. What was also interesting is you heard the precurser to other bands sounds like Aerosmith, and..???? I forget the others but there was at least 3 distenct sounds from this one group alone.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth.. starting to re-adjust finally :angel:

My take on the rock scene is that by 1991 I was getting tired of hearing all the great tunes of the 1980’s like Bob Segar, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, etc. The radio would play them over and over again. The country was ready for a different sound, or at least I was, when it finally came. It all started with Kurt Cobain of Nirvana followed by Pearl Jam.

Call it Grunge or Alternative, it was the new sound I was looking for! Nirvana and Pearl Jam opened up the floodgates that lasted into the late ‘90’s. By 1997, it started to wane until around 2001 when the band Staind hit the scene with their mega hit “It’ Been Awhile.” The Rock sound was gaining momentum again.

Well, that is how I remember it, being the old Lynard Skynard fan I once was. Actually purchased tickets to one of their concerts at The Scope in Norfolk but they cancelled out….Hhmm…..( is that an understatement???)

One thing that I found surprising was that shortly after their arrival, I learned my stepdaughter knew about the band Linkin Park while in China, and liked their music. I had a Linkin Park CD because I liked 1 or 2 of their tunes but needless to say, it’s my stepdaughter’s CD now.....:D

How about Stevie Wonder and his funk-a-fied protest "Higher Ground" and maybe "A summer Place."

It would be interesting to see what the shift is in current music, more protest , more group building? or is it more anguhist?

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth.. no she isn't a pasafist.. it's pasifier! :D

My take on the rock scene is that by 1991 I was getting tired of hearing all the great tunes of the 1980’s like Bob Segar, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, etc. The radio would play them over and over again. The country was ready for a different sound, or at least I was, when it finally came. It all started with Kurt Cobain of Nirvana followed by Pearl Jam.

Call it Grunge or Alternative, it was the new sound I was looking for! Nirvana and Pearl Jam opened up the floodgates that lasted into the late ‘90’s. By 1997, it started to wane until around 2001 when the band Staind hit the scene with their mega hit “It’ Been Awhile.” The Rock sound was gaining momentum again.

Well, that is how I remember it, being the old Lynard Skynard fan I once was. Actually purchased tickets to one of their concerts at The Scope in Norfolk but they cancelled out….Hhmm…..( is that an understatement???)

One thing that I found surprising was that shortly after their arrival, I learned my stepdaughter knew about the band Linkin Park while in China, and liked their music. I had a Linkin Park CD because I liked 1 or 2 of their tunes but needless to say, it’s my stepdaughter’s CD now.....:D

On my first trip to China they had 2 songs playing in the airport TV's 1 was linkin park,the other I can't remember it was a Chinese song it also was good.

• 2 weeks later...

The more things change the more the stay the same..

Steivie Wonder from "Songs in the key of Life."

Saturn

Packing my bags -- going away

To a place where the air is clean

On Saturn

There's no sense to sit and watch people die

We don't fight our wars the way you do

We put back all the things we use

On Saturn

There's no sense to keep on doing such crimes

There's no principles in what you say

No direction in the things you do

For your world is soon to come to a close

Through the ages all great men have taught

Truth and happiness just can't be bought - or sold

Tell me why are you people so cold

I'm....

Going back to Saturn where the rings all glow

Rainbow, moonbeams and orange snow

On Saturn

People live to be two hundred and five

Going back to Saturn where the people smile

Don't need cars cause we've learned to fly

On Saturn

Just to live to us is our natural high

We have come here many times before

To find your strategy to peace is war

Killing helpless men, women and children

That don't even know what they're dying for

We can't trust you when you take a stand

With a gun and bible in your hand

And the cold expression on your face

Saying give us what we want or we'll destroy

I'm....

Going back to Saturn where the rings all glow

Rainbow, moonbeams and orange snow

On Saturn

People live to be two hundred and five

Going back to Saturn where the people smile

Don't need cars cause we've learned to fly

On Saturn

Just to live to us is our natural high

Sing it Stevie!!!

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

Just finished watching "Joe Dirt" with David Spade, Dennis Miller and a great cast of others.

I have always liked that movie particularly the soundtrack. At the end of the movie they play a really cool 'Cheap Trick' tune.

I should've known that they do away with the credits anymore so that they can cram in some commercial time. I don't know why they do that. I like to see the credits when a movie ends. It is a part of the movie too but now, they deprive us of that! And that's what happend at the end of 'Joe Dirt.' They 'minimize' the credits where you can't read them and silenced that cool 'Cheap Trick' tune just so they can advertise.

Hhmm...........is anything "sacred" anymore?.... or is everything just a big "rip-off"...:angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

:cheering: I'm a bloke,

I'm an ocker

And I really love your knockers

I'm a labourer by day,

I piss up all me pay

Watching footy on TV

Just feed me more VB

Just pour my beer,

And get my smokes,

And go away

:clapping:

:huh: I'm a bloke

I'm a yobbo,

and me best mate's name is Robbo

Winfield is me cigarrete

I dress in flanellette

Shearer's singlet that is blue

Throw in a few tattoos,

You know you wouldn't

Want me any other way :)

Who knows this tune? It reached #1 on the ARIA in 2000. It's a pretty cool tune, a parody of Meredith Brooks' tune 'Bitch'.

edit:- 4 year celebration for this memorable old thread! (January 21, 2005):cheering:

Edited by samsong (see edit history)

Stones, only albums I ever purchased were "Satanic Majesties Request" and "Let it Bleed"! Everything else is so popular that we still hear them enough.

Hendrix deserves a second mention

Jethro Tull

Yes

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young Collectively, on their own, and in other groups

Barry White In college speach class, a girl brought a small stereo, a candle and a bottle of wine, she played Barry White as she explained "How to get laid in a college dorm room"

Stones, only albums I ever purchased were "Satanic Majesties Request" and "Let it Bleed"! Everything else is so popular that we still hear them enough.

Hendrix deserves a second mention

Jethro Tull

Yes

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young Collectively, on their own, and in other groups

Barry White In college speach class, a girl brought a small stereo, a candle and a bottle of wine, she played Barry White as she explained "How to get laid in a college dorm room"

I mostly listen to Christian music nowadays although I still like and sometime listen to everything I liked in the 70's... growing up in NYC, I went to a lot of concerts...

Robin Trower (wrong spelling)

Jethro Tull

The Spinners ( I can llisten to them all Day)

Isley Brothers... does any one know Jimi Hendrix palyed for the Isleys at one point?

Parlament/Funkadelic

Labelle before Patti left

Earth Wind and Fire

Average White Band

Chick Corea

Stanley Clarke

My favorite of all time concerts is Stevie Wonder, such a wide ranging crowd

Favorite guitarist next to Jimi... Jeff Beck.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)