Working in China

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please add me to the list. I'd love to spend several years minimum working in China. As a constuction manager type with Engineering degree; I'm sure that I could do something useful ..lol..seeing more tower cranes in any given city than we probably have operating in any US State.

I definitely plan to live and work in China. My plan now is to wait about 5 years-- make some money, get my fiancee her MBA, and get me fluent in Chinese. Then we'll head over there, she'll start her business, and I'll hopefully find myself a good job (I've done the ESL thing, hopefully this time I'll find something in my actual field). That's the plan, we'll see how it goes.

Two more sites that I might add:

Shanghaiexpat.com

bejingexpat.com

Shanghaiexpat is substantially larger. Unfortunately, the server is not the speediest in the world. I would point out that this particular site covers Jobs, want ad's (Cars, apts, jobs, nannies, etc.), personal realtionships, culture, open forum discussion, Culture issues and questions, and a myriad of problems that people have encountered, and were able to solve and/or recieve advice. There is a lot of sound information there. Most of the contributors are either British and/or US.

Best of luck with your dreams

Hmmm....Well....that is an interesting bit of writing, but many of us who have lived and worked in China might take exception to much of what was written...well hell who am I kidding? What a load of horseshit!

I hope you DO NOT base your decision of whether or not to move to China on this Americentric, biased, unfounded, piece of dung!

Hmmm....Well....that is an interesting bit of writing, but many of us who have lived and worked in China might take exception to much of what was written...well hell who am I kidding? What a load of horseshit!

I hope you DO NOT base your decision of whether or not to move to China on this Americentric, biased, unfounded, piece of dung!

Thank you so much for that reply!

I got lunch after reading this biased, bigoted, piece of writing, and I was thinking of millions of ways that I could write against it. However, I could not even eat my food thanks to the terrible taste in my mouth. However, your words sum it up quite well, and I would like to second them!!!

On almost my first day in China, still in Zhuhai, I threw 100 kwai into the Bank of China. I opened an account under my Chinese name and got a nice little red passbook. The whole transaction took less than 15 minutes. I was jubilant. There, at least, was one bit of cash that Uncle Sam was never going to get his filthy mitts on.

Just a week later, now in Nanning, I decided to put a little more into the account, just for the sheer pleasure of it. But I was told at the Bank of China that my account could not be accessed. You see, I'd opened the account in Guangdong, and this was Guangxi. Not only could I not deposit, I could not withdraw.

One has the option of opening a couple different types of accounts in a Chinese Bank.

1) Just an account with the main branch where you simply store your cash and only get the pass book. This type of account is used for savings and is not convenient to access because you do not have an ATM card.

2) An account with just an ATM card. Allows one to access funds from any bank branch by using the card.

3) An account with a passbook AND an ATM card (in order to turn RMB into USD you will need the passbook and a residence card with a stamp from your employer that explains exactly what percentage of your pay can be turned to USD).

4) A credit card account.

Obviously this guy was really in the dark about how banks work. I could access my funds from anywhere in China as well as transfer money from one account to the other...no hassles!

i think its great for those of you who want to work and live in china!

But it is also very important to remember the difference between visiting a place and living in a place for an extended period of time. I am not trying to discourage anyone from living abroad, I am just reminding everyone to make sure.

My experiences in Shenzhen in the last four years have allowed me to see many things about the world we live in, unfortunately many of them bad. Possibly it is just my experience and maybe becuase I am in Shenzhen (as I have seen that many others have very little complaints about their locations), but after these four years I am QUITE ready to go back to the states. If anyone wants more details please let me know..im happy to share some stories.

nate

No Big deal...It was just a post about living and working in China that was incredibly racist, sexist, and full of misinformation. Not authored by a Candle member (that I know of) but posted here from a different group.

The guy spent some time in China and came away with a very negative impression full ridiculous assumptions. The thing was that he made too many sweeping generalizations. It would have been one thing if the guy just talked about isolated incidents but instead he painted ALL chinese as being deceptive and inept and that the only gem of a woman that could be found in China was his wife.

He went on about hiring house keepers whom he couldn't trust to do good work and how they somehow always managed to get HIM to perpetrate inappropriate sexual relations with them...the guy was louse...and it is a good thing y'all can't read the post!

Now, no one will know what we are talking about...

can it be edited to not disclose personal info as long as Michael has obtained premission to post it from the author?

yeah.... what just happened??

Amber, you do *not* want to know.

Someone posted a message which was not of his/her own, and the message, although long and detailed, contained many bigoted and insulting comments in it (my opinion). So it seems that maiyademama and I both saw it and commented on it, and it was quickly removed before anyone else could get to it (so at least 4 of us saw it, since one of the admins removed it, but possibly not any more).

I think that if it were even true, that it would be a very sad story, but the way in which it was written was absolutely terrible.

Anyway, its gone now, so no problem!!! :)