What do you do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beijingjenny,

I haven't found any decent hospitals here in shenzhen...actually its rather scary...I have some very very frightening stories if you want to hear them...some stuff you wouldn't believe.

Thats why we are hoping like crazy to be able to get the visa in time to have the baby in the states....my guess is that its not going to happen though....

just have to stay positive.

nate

beijingjenny,

I haven't found any decent hospitals here in shenzhen...actually its rather scary...I have some very very frightening stories if you want to hear them...some stuff you wouldn't believe. 

Thats why we are hoping like crazy to be able to get the visa in time to have the baby in the states....my guess is that its not going to happen though....

just have to stay positive.

nate

I just read an article today that talks about babies of Chinese people who are born in Hong Kong can get a HK residency. This is actually amazing for your case, since it is allowed to have a US residency concurrently with a HK residency. And if your wife's hukou is from SZ, she can get into HK no sweat.

I just closed the window to the link, but it was in today's straitstimes (www.straitstimes.asia1.com.sg)

I'm a Manager at Petland part time, and IT student part time, and a sales rep at Home Shopping Network full time. Sometimes I even sleep...

I'm ex-military as well. Was a Korean Cryptologic Linguist for 4 years (It sounds way cooler than it was, but that's why I like to type it out :P)

Jun isn't working right now, but she has been a program director/writer for a media company, teacher (computer science at USTC), ad agent, pet store owner, most recently assistant to the general manager of a furniture company.

As for what Jun can do when she comes here we're still working on that one. She'd like to eventually own her own business, but as for what to do before that... I think depends largely on polishing the English skills.

It's really interesting to see all the diversity we have here.

Ryan- Xiao Ming and I have also been thinking a lot about what he can do. One important reason we hope I get accepted into grad school in Chicago is because there will be a lot more job opportunities for him. We know a couple from Dalian (US woman/Chinese man) who did the K-1 and when they moved back to the US, the guy couldn't find a job so they moved to a bigger city (Boston) for him.

Xiao ming only has a 3 year university degree so we are thinking he can do some work as a translator- they just opened a new Chinese cultural center in Chicago. Or how about working at the airport for a Chinese airline? Anything where he can use his excellent English and of course fluent Chinese. He will also probably go to school part time to study either vet-tech or physical therapy. Or maybe do 1 or 2 more years to get his bachelor's. The best thing would be if he could work for a business that wants to expand into China- he'd be great at that and it pays quite well.

Hope that gives u guys some ideas!

Amber, can you kindly advise that whereabouts is the new opened Chinese Cultural Center in Chicago? or any web links? thank you.

Rosey

Hi all:

newbie at his best!

Construction Manager and Consultant for Commercial high end hospitality. Includes the new trend of Fractional Ownership of desireable condo locations...ex. 1/8 share of condo in Aspen for $1M.

I would be very interested in working in China. Starwood Hotels has my resume presently, and I can only hope.

It's really interesting to see all the diversity we have here.

Ryan- Xiao Ming and I have also been thinking a lot about what he can do. One important reason we hope I get accepted into grad school in Chicago is because there will be a lot more job opportunities for him. We know a couple from Dalian (US woman/Chinese man) who did the K-1 and when they moved back to the US, the guy couldn't find a job so they moved to a bigger city (Boston) for him.

Xiao ming only has a 3 year university degree so we are thinking he can do some work as a translator- they just opened a new Chinese cultural center in Chicago. Or how about working at the airport for a Chinese airline? Anything where he can use his excellent English and of course fluent Chinese. He will also probably go to school part time to study either vet-tech or physical therapy. Or maybe do 1 or 2 more years to get his bachelor's. The best thing would be if he could work for a business that wants to expand into China- he'd be great at that and it pays quite well.

Hope that gives u guys some ideas!

Amber, can you kindly advise that whereabouts is the new opened Chinese Cultural Center in Chicago? or any web links? thank you.

Rosey

Rosey-

my mom lives in chicago and told me this- i'll send her an email to ask where it is and more details then i'll PM you.

amber