Great Expectations

I expected anywhere from 9 months to 15 months. Based on conditions at the time I filed the I129F with TSC, I was fairly confident that 10 months was likely. What I have learned is that EVERY case is different and you cannot become overly optimistic nor deeply depressed when "things don't go your way" or go along the timelines you expected. I mailed off the package to TSC on Jan 5, 2004. My fiancee will have the interview on January 5, 2005. :lol: While it is disappointing that we will not be spending Thanksgiving or Christmas together this year, it is equally exciting to know that I will be celebrating the New Year with her and 2005 will mark a new beginning for both of us. :) :) :)

Craig

Guest Fionas_Fiance
I have been waiting so long to start process, I fully expect it will be a year or so.  Hopefully I have soaked up enough knowledge during the wait , that I will be well prepared and not make any silly mistakes.  It has certainly raised my confidence.  I think I know what to do, what to expect - in general handle the process

You may get lucky. I heard somewhere (I forget where) that GZ was going to be taking on a lot more staffers in mid-2005. Too late to help most of us here, but it might reduce the wait time of anyone filing now by quite a bit.

I would like to state publically that this is my last post here. Lately CFL has been hijacked by people with irrational conspiracy theories or political axes to grind, or who seem to want to blame the government for their own screwed-up applications. I no longer consider CFL to be a useful site. The quality of information is much lower than at britishexpats or visajourney.com, and I don't find it to be a supportive environment. There is too much whining, politicizing, and misinformation passed along. Visiting this site has become counter-productive, at least for me.

Good luck to all in getting their VISAs.

We are going the CR-1 route.

In the winter of this year, I thought 8 - 9 months from filing the I-130 petition to visa interview.

In the spring of this year, I revised my estimate to 10 - 12 months.

Now, I believe it will take from 13 - 16 months.

My revised estimates are based on other members’ timelines at this site and VisaJourney.com. I am not happy but I must be realistic. This timeline accounts for our good fortune of being able to apply through the Vermont Service Center or it would even be longer.

2 months thru I-130 petition at VSC. We gained time at VSC versus the other Service Centers.

4 - 6 months thru the NVC process.

7 - 8 months at Guangzhou.

Pei Yun is more optimistic than I am, but after reading all the posts, I am not hopeful for early completion. After what I read about name checks this appears to be a problem. First she has a common last name. Second, after reading an AILA lawyer’s post on VisaJourney.com about his recent tour of the NVC, this has further discouraged me. Upon asking a question of a senior official at the NVC, the official stated that the process at NVC will be accelerated for applicants except for those from China and India. I think the term he used was retrogress.

Still hopeful

Pei Yun & Mark

I would like to state publically that this is my last post here. Lately CFL has been hijacked by people with irrational conspiracy theories or political axes to grind, or who seem to want to blame the government for their own screwed-up applications. I no longer consider CFL to be a useful site. The quality of information is much lower than at britishexpats or visajourney.com, and I don't find it to be a supportive environment. There is too much whining,  politicizing, and misinformation passed along. Visiting this site has become counter-productive, at least for me.

Sorry you feel this way. I have always found CFL to be the best site on the web regarding China USA K-visas. The emotional support I have found here has been a god send. Like any family we sometimes squabble but I would rather this site remain a place where we can vent our feelings and frustrations. You may consider it whining and counter productive, I consider it a healthy outlet for a frustrating process. Good luck to you and your visa quest. I doubt you will find a better site though. For the record I have seen as much or more so called whining on British ex pats as here.

Fionas_fiance,

You came to this site with a rather unusual request --- you were traveling to Beijing, and you wanted to know if there were any nonsmoking restaurants that people could recommend.. that you were "allergic" to tobacco smoke ... The response, as I recall was sympathetic, and many (even in Beijing) searched their experience for answers --- I myself made a restaurant recommendation....

Later, when there seemed to be a genuine problem with yours and Fionas' situation in the visa process, many here at the Candle came forward to assist you --- and to suggest an Immigration attorney that could provide council.

According to your own posts, you took some of that advice, and were relieved after consulting with one of the attorney's recommended here --- even though you were less that forthright about your (Fionas') specific problem.

--- as I suggested to you at the time, given the wealth of experience here, it was highly likely that someone had already encountered her problem --- but you declined specifics.....

Now, as you leave, you give us a backhanded slap --- not the first from a departing member since I joined in April, but still, I'm inclined to say: Good Luck!

...... and go FYS....

I would like to state publically that this is my last post here. Lately CFL has been hijacked by people with irrational conspiracy theories or political axes to grind, or who seem to want to blame the government for their own screwed-up applications. I no longer consider CFL to be a useful site. The quality of information is much lower than at britishexpats or visajourney.com, and I don't find it to be a supportive environment. There is too much whining,  politicizing, and misinformation passed along. Visiting this site has become counter-productive, at least for me.

We must all walk our own path. If you feel that way about CFL, then it's for the best for you and for us.

Hey Kim,

I like that, an impressive little "here take this with you when you go" kinda thing....go FYS... yeah, nice one, dude.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've never visited any other visa related web site, hmmm, maybe I'm missing something, but who gives a F? I kinda like you people and your misleading opinions.

Besides, what the hell does a Brit know about being an American?