A new thought for when travelling

Guest blsqueaky

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese Wife?,

I agree that going to the consulate personally is the right idea. Julia and just haven't made it a priority to travel there from Nanning. What I might have done differently would have been to stay in Guangzhou overnight before continuing on my connecting flight to Nanning.

Guest blsqueaky
Squeek, ya did a good thing.  :o

It's one of those, I thought everyone knew kinda things. It is a good idea to register with the local consulate anytime you are going to be in a foreign country for more than a few days. It's especially helpful if you can leave contact info so they can get in touch with you in case something should happen that makes traveling unsafe. That's not a big problem in China except during the SARS outbreak.

I'm not sure if the folks in the GZ/IV Unit will know you registered with the Citizen's Services Unit, but it can't hurt. I do know they are aware of every email you send them.

Don, thanks for the compliment. Not bad for an old truck driver here. I would venture to say that everything that happens in the consulate, everyone is aware when it invloves the computer, and I also think that if you are in a city where there is a consulate, it is better to register in person than on-line, so they at least can see you. This is just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest blsqueaky

Hello everyone, I thought atht after the Tsumani, it is about time to bring this back up front again. I can not stress enough about cheching in when you are travelling over seas.

After listening to a talk show the other morning, they are searching for many people from the U.S. that they think are there, but they have no idea because many people do not bother to check in or check out,

So Please, many of you are getting ready to travel back to China, please, so please, check in and out. It will help in so many ways.

Mark and Ling

Great idea, and actually I never thought of doing this. After this recent tsunami disaster, it is a great idea.

I will be landing in shanghai next trip, and going to Nanjing.... any local offices there for me to check into? I wont be travelling all the way to GZ this time. :)

I tried to check in online with the consulate before I went to China. Actually, I had never travelled overseas and was very concerned. I filled out the registration form; however, I tried and tried for over a week and it gave an error message and would not accept the information.

I do not think for K-1 purposes it would make much difference in that my passport is stamped with the entry and exit stamp from China and I think that would be a good indicator. I guess nothing hurts. There was no consulate where I went so I could not do it in person.

Guest blsqueaky
Great idea, and actually I never thought of doing this.  After this recent tsunami disaster,  it is a great idea.

I will be landing in shanghai next trip, and going to Nanjing.... any local offices there for me to check into? I wont be travelling all the way to GZ this time. :blink:

Hello, when you fly over you can check in with the Consulate there in Shanghai, or anywhere else we have a consulate. The only good thing about checking in person, is that they see you, and they know that you are there, and again when I think visa, they see again.

Right now I am more concerned about checking in in the wake of the disaster. We are trying to find some of our citizens, and they are not really sure if they ar there or not.

• 1 month later...
Guest blsqueaky

I thought that it is about time to bring this up front again, since I am seeing that many of us are planning on travel soon to china. Again, I can not stress how important it is to check in, whether GZ, Shanghai, Beijiing or HK, or anywhere else that there is a consulate. Please, check in, ot just to show that you are there to see you SO, put to also let them know where you are in case something does happen, and they can get to you.

Thanks, and to those making a trip soon, have a safe one

I have never registered at a US consulate when I was in China. However, it would have been tough to, considering that we have never spent more than 7 consecutive days in any one location (Beijing) together. We enjoy traveling, and I have never thought of it as being important to do so, especially as I traveled there during the SARS infection (a great time to travel, as there were practically no lines).

However, had I thought about it some more, for documentation reasons, it could have been an idea, although I am not sure if anything will help (such as original train/plane tickets that my darling is taking to the interview, for us both, with adjacent seats, etc.).