A Chinese V-day

Aug.22nd, is the 07/07 according to the Chinese lunar calendar. It is a special day for the lovers that be away from each other.

According to the ancient folk tale, there is one couple that are away from each other, thousands of thousands of light years maybe---they can only meet each other once a year, on the day of 07/07 on the lunar calendar. Except for that day, they have to be apart and miss each other, with the vast Milky Way between them. That is how their love goes on, for centuries and centuies and centuies. In the ancient folk tale, it is the magpies that fly together, to form a 'magpie bridge' between the couple(their name is Niu Lang & Zhi Nv) so that they can have a date on the bridge.

For centuries and centuries and centuries, it is a day that the girl who is still single will picure their ideal lover, and for those who already has that special one, it is a day to express your adore and devotion to that special someone, for some of us who can not be together right now, it is a day dedicated to the sweet memories of the past and a good wish that the magpie bridge will bring us together someday.

To celebrate the Chinese V-day, in an old-fashioned Chinese way.

The Chinese V-day is also called as 'double 7 fest' , cause it is July 07 of the lunar calendar. Also called 'asking for talents fest'(sorry for the bad translation), it is the day that single girl asks for more talents so they can marry a good husband. :D

And the mid autumn fest-------It is the day for family get-together, another good chance to be in the thoughts of the sweet love.

• 11 months later...

This is great information, as I was not aware of the date, only that is was coming in August... guess it is good time to check out that site David posted for sending flowers.... and maybe we can get some magpies together too!!! Thanks Sawadee

Lucky for you Tony that the 11th isn't the one day of the year to meet.

For 3 years we have been celebrating 7/7 which is the day for seperated lovers. My SO says once she gets here we wont celebrate anymore because we will stay together. I thought last year was the last one we would celebrate but I guess we have one more.

Qi Qiao Jie

This festival came from an old Chinese myth. Once upon a time, there was a guy falling in love with a lady, for sorts of reason, they were departed by an old Chinese god and were sent to the two ends of the sky. They were not allowed to meet each year except on this day.

Usually, people eat a kind of home made fried square cookies, we call it "qi zi kuai", the first word has the same pronunciation of the name of this old traditional festival. It's kind of interesting.

No matter what, to have a festival to celebrate is a happy thing to do.

Sarah