The plane ticket situation.

This is another question I'm going to throw out there for y'all (that's "you all" for the differently-abled).

I just started this whole process so this won't be an issue for a while but I like to plan ahead.

I would like to be at my Siegfried's interview (for support and so we can come back to America together as soon as she gets her visa).

My understanding is that an American has to have a round-trip ticket to get a visa to visit China.

But, how can I get my wife onto my return flight?

When I buy the ticket in America, can I just tell them that my wife will be joining me on the return flight and pay for her ticket at that time?

This may seem like a stupid question but after 9/11, my mom tried to buy a plane ticket for me and she had to jump through some hoops and rigamaroll and whatchusay and hey now!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, is there a good place to get cheap tickets? Anybody have any airline connections and could hook a brother up?

You don't need a roundtrip ticket to visit China. I have always waited until I get my visitor visa before I bought my plane tickets. look in the links section of CFL to find the airplane tickets. They will get cheaper after August. One way is to expensive though. In the past I have booked a round trip from LA to GZ on China Southern for $660.00 Once in GZ you can change your departure for around $75.00. That way you can match her flight. Others have had good luck with Cathay air.

When my wife flew to the USA on short notice, the cheapest tickets were found by her using a Chinese travel agency in GZ.

Good luck.

Trigg

You don't need a roundtrip ticket to visit China. I have always waited until I get my visitor visa before I bought my plane tickets. look in the links section of CFL to find the airplane tickets.  They will get cheaper after August. One way is to expensive though. In the past I have booked a round trip from LA to GZ on China Southern for $660.00 Once in GZ you can change your departure for around $75.00. That way you can match her flight. Others have had good luck with Cathay air.

When my wife flew to the USA on short notice, the cheapest tickets were found by her using a Chinese travel agency in GZ.

Good luck.

Trigg

Ditto:

I have never been questioned about my return from China as long as you have the Visa to be there thats all they request to see.. So you could do a one way and buy one there. If worse came to worse. Try to by you tickets as refundable may charge you $100 to do this if you change your departure date on a round trip.

This is another question I'm going to throw out there for y'all (that's "you all" for the differently-abled).

I just started this whole process so this won't be an issue for a while but I like to plan ahead.

I would like to be at my Siegfried's interview (for support and so we can come back to America together as soon as she gets her visa).

My understanding is that an American has to have a round-trip ticket to get a visa to visit China.  

But, how can I get my wife onto my return flight?  

When I buy the ticket in America, can I just tell them that my wife will be joining me on the return flight and pay for her ticket at that time?

This may seem like a stupid question but after 9/11, my mom tried to buy a plane ticket for me and she had to jump through some hoops and rigamaroll and whatchusay and hey now!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, is there a good place to get cheap tickets?  Anybody have any airline connections and could hook a brother up?

I'm not sure about having to buy a round trip ticket to get a visa to China, but my gut says you don't need one.

Nonetheless, when I went to China to be with Jingwen, I bought a round trip ticket for me and a one way ticket for her and the kids which put them on the same return flight as mine. This was done with United, and they were cordial enough about coordinating the seating. The one way tickets were a bit more than 1/2 the round trip ticket, but it was worth it to make sure that we could all sit together.

One piece of advice. Do NOT buy a round trip ticket for her and try to use only the second leg. She'll lose the reservation if she does not use the first leg.

Also, it is often cheaper to buy the tickets for the both of you while in China which also suggests to me that you might not need a round trip ticket to get a visa since others on this board have bought their tickets while there.

Not true. I have gotten 3 visas and my tickets were not required.

If she wants to enter Hong Kong after she receives the visa, then she needs a departure ticket within 7 days, IIRC. That's the closet thing I can think of.

When I went to China in April, I got my visa through A Briggs in Washington, D.C.

One of the things they specified that I had to send to them was a round-trip ticket.

I figured that the Chinese embassy needed to see proof that I wasn't going to stay more than 3 months (or whatever the limit is).

But I guess I learned something new today.

So, it seems like the best thing is just for me to buy a one-way to China then buy one-ways for my wife and me back to America.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the links and the info guys. I appreciate it.

Yes, Siegfried. As in Siegfried and Roy.

I have this fantasy about meeting my wife at the airport and we run into each other's arms. Then she says, in an Eastern-European accent, "My Siegfried!"

And I reply, "My Rrrroy!"

That would be friggin' sweet! :P

Suggestion.

Fly to Hong Kong no visa needed for up to 90 days. And obtain your Chinese Visa there at a fraction of what you would pay in the US. I know I have been living in China for the past 2 years now.

Walk across the border at lowu (HK) into China then fly domestically within china much cheaper. This is very easy to do.

I have been back to US twice and have renew my visa 5 times already in Hong Kong.

Another note:

The only time I crossed into China at LoWu, it was a MAJOR hastle ...

...as the lone westerner when I was there, I was swarmed by locals on the Chinese side, pulling on my clothes (wallet pocket) -- all trying to "help" me.....

--it was a good 200 yards (and up stairs) to the ticket window for the train, and then I didn't have RMB for the ticket (Of Course ! I just crossed the border !!)

And no currency exchange office at LoWo ~!! (but locals willing to help out at the black market level) surprised to see a very good exchange rate for US dollars.... But still, would NEVER cross at LoWu again!

Another note: 

The only time I crossed into China at LoWu, it was a MAJOR hastle ... 

...as the lone westerner when I was there, I was swarmed by locals on the Chinese side, pulling on my clothes (wallet pocket) -- all trying to "help" me.....

--it was a good 200 yards (and up stairs) to the ticket window for the train, and then I didn't have RMB for the ticket (Of Course ! I just crossed the border !!) 

And no currency exchange office at LoWo ~!!  (but locals willing to help out at the black market level)  surprised to see a very good exchange rate for US dollars....  But still, would NEVER  cross at LoWu again!

hmmm?

Usually it isn't so bad. Next time exchange money in HK at the little hole in the wall places, banks charge to much. last time we did exchange money it was RMB for HKD and think it was something like 1.07 RMB to the HKD, where as banks where charging us in the teens.

Coming across at LoWu.. which by the way is where our sig pic is take at, is quick and you end up in a central place in SZ. As for the crowds etc.. a very very stern look and moving quickly and with purpose should do the trick. It is all about looking like a tourist, which we all are even in the states when we travel. If you look like you know where you are going, people don't notice you so much. So just move with the flow as everyone is walking to the buses.

Remember the train station is to the left even on the ground floor when you first exit the crossing building. everyone goes right and than up the strairs to the left just as you come out from under the floor.

At the top either go straight or right and than left to be on the other side of the big block. At the end turn right and walk over to the stairs to get to the street... follow the crowd and there you go!! at the busses.

If you don't need a buss wall a few bl;ocks up past the hotels and turn right to next street, try a cab there... you are far enough away from the station and scalpers but not so far to lug things..:huh:

believe me the other crossing is really out in nowheres!! and it is two crossings which means check, leave building walk, check leave building. Than grab a cab or bus, where you are sure to get screwed by either the cab and paying to much or getting on the wrong bus!! heheh

So remember!!! it's all about attitude!!! give them some down by Lo Wo and they will leave you alone.. hehehe

Mark and Bea