medical exams and civil surgeons

Ok I'm a little confused. I've completed all the forms for AOS except the I-693 which if I am reading it correctly means that Bing has to have another whole physical exam. If so what did I pay 100 bucks for in China? We have the Vacination records she got after visa approval, but don't they put all the medical records in the mysterious brown envelope? all we have is a little 3X5 booklet of her medical exam. Is this what we take to the civil surgeon along with X-rays?

Ok I'm a little confused.  I've completed all the forms for AOS except the I-693 which if I am reading it correctly means that Bing has to have another whole physical exam.  If so what did I pay 100 bucks for in China? We have the Vacination records she got after visa approval, but don't they put all the medical records in the mysterious brown envelope? all we have is a little 3X5 booklet of her medical exam.  Is this what we take to the civil surgeon along with X-rays?

Carl, if I understand correctly the civil surgeon will review her med records and not necessarily do an exam. Also, I think you wait until they get you an appointment--after you have filed AOS etc.

Guest Long_strider

On a K-1 you do not need a medical exam for AOS......As Carl said, it's already been done in China. The BICS already has this information on file in your record that you brought over and submitted at the time of entry to the US.

The vaccination form needs to be signed by an approved civil surgeon. The vaccinations can be done in many places. Civil surgeon charge different prices for this service. The one that we used at Lloyd's Center reviewed our vaccination card from China and completed the form. He charged $0.00 dollars, yup zero dollars. Some that we called gave prices of between 100 and 200 dollars. Call all the civil surgeons on the list and ask about pricing. Tell them that you already have the vaccinations. Some will say that they need to do the medical exam too. Ignore them.... and try another....

Mi

1.Your wife's medical examination paper is good for 1 year till her AOS interview.

2.If she had the vaccination done in China, she should have a copy of vaccination form that was given to her and a yellow booklet that shows the date and vaccinations.

3. Go to a civil surgeon, and have them fill out the vaccination form ( given by BCIS). You will have to pay 20 bucks for office visit ( if you have insurance)..if not, they would charge you a normal price, usually 40 bucks.

4.All the medical forms and vaccination forms she did in China were sealed in that yellow envelope that was handed to customs when she entered U.S. by the time of your interview AOS, the officer should have all the files there.

Carl,

I don't know what service center is handling your AOS and as we all know they don't quite do things the same way. I sent my wife's and daughter's AOSs to Anchorage, AK. For the medical portion I made copies of both the examination booklet and shot booklet cover to cover. This seemed to satisfy the requirements as my wife just received her two year condition card in April. We expect our daughter to receive her's at the end of June.

I don't remember why I did this except I was following Eric's (the Frenchman) lead on the whole AOS process. Maybe some other old timers can expound on this.

I'm confused. Heard from 001 that in most of the cases you don't need to get the vaccination done untill the interview. That means you don't need to submit the shot report while you apply for the AOS right?

I didn't get the shots in China and we're planning to apply for AOS next month as we just got married. I'm wondering how can i find out if the CIS needs my vaccination to be done by the time we submit I-485 or we can take the shot report to the interview instead??Anyone knows??

I am wandering around in the dark myself but as I understand it you need to go to the civil surgeon with her shot records for the AOS interview. As a K-1 she doesn't need the shots for the visa but she will need them for the AOS. Since they are much cheaper in China we had Bing's done there.

I am wandering around in the dark myself but as I understand it you need to go to the civil surgeon with her shot records for the AOS interview.  As a  K-1 she doesn't need the shots for the visa but she will need them for the AOS.  Since they are much cheaper in China we had Bing's done there.

That is correct. Just have her records for the civil surgeon. Since the civil surgeon for my wife charges a flat fee of $250, I had her take the examination too.

Guest Long_strider

NOte: Every BCIS office is different (even though they follow the same written rules and procedures. And every BCIS officer has varying levels of knowledge and competency. So what happens at the Oregon BCIS office on Tuesday maybe be different that what happens at the Boston BCIS office on Wednesday.

But in general......

It is correct that you present the vaccination form, signed by the civil surgeon at the AOS interview. It does not need to be presented when you file for AOS, only at the interview.

Also

Remember for a K-1 the vaccination shots are not required prior to entry into the US, because a K-1 is only a temporary visa and expires in 90 days. (but it's often cheaper to get them in China) If the individual elects to not marry and returns to China, then no vaccinations are required. Because of the temporary nature of the visa, the vaccinations are only required if the individuals marries, elects to stay in the US, and files for AOS for permanent resident status.

After we got married I put my wife on my health insurance. The two required shots cost me a $5 copay. The 693 has to be filled out by a US Board Certified Dr, not a surgeon. I am not sure if the shots you got in GZ, are what you need for the AOS.

There should have been a list of local Drs. in your AOS packet. AOS filing is pretty simple.. Good Luck!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest meierhong

you dont havt to take any phisical exam, you go to a hospital that INS pointed out and show them Chinese booklet , they should transfer information to the i-693 form , mainly INS want vaccine records, if your wife already took them in China.I only pay 30 bulks for transferring records.

good luck!

ps:my husband already call INS about this, they answered the same thing,dont need take phisical examination.

If you are here on a K-1 visa and you have had a physical examination in the last year you do not need to take another. You do however need the I-693 vacination supplimental that only a civil surgeon can sign off on. If you had the vaccinations in China merely take the yellow booklet down to a civil surgeon and have them fill out and seal in an evelope the supplimental form. I would call around and see what they charge. Bing and I found one that did it for free.