They Got IT!!!!!!!

Sorry it has taken me so long to fill in the details but this is the first chance I have had to get on line. In a way I feel that this visa is all of yours as well as ours. I know the love and support I got here at candle gave me the strength to overcome what at the time seemed like insurmountable odds. I am grateful to each and every one of you. Mark and Bea your hospitality and assistance are very much appreciated, Thank you so much. Bea is a real sweetheart and the video you made for us saved the day.

A few things I have learned that may help those of you waiting for interview. You do not have to speak Chinese or your fiancee speak English. There is no requirement that one of you speaks the others language. This is straight from the horses mouth at the Thursday bitch session. You may need to prove you can communicate. This can be with a pocket translator or any other method you can use. The box checked that you must speak Chinese for five minutes is not accurate. I would advise any of you that go to China to see your loved ones before interview to make a video while there. Go to the interview. If I had been there we could have resolved this in the next day or two when she was denied. It is that important. The support your loved one needs during this critical period is immense.

Since I couldn't get online I have been keeping sort of journal. Here it is ladies and gentlemen the details you have been waiting for.

Wednesday 04/28/04

We are in Guangzhou now and we took our video over to the consulate this morning. We got up at 700 am, arrived there about 730 and stood in line until 900. There were not many people in line for interview today, maybe15-20 people or so. The line for overcome documents was just about as long. I wanted to ask some questions about the recent problem with scheduling interviews but I couldn’t find anyone to ask. They told me to come back tomorrow for the Thursday bitch session which we will do. We have to go back tomorrow anyway to find out the results of our appeal. Bing is not very optimistic of our success however I think we will prevail. She is pretty tense right now and quite grumpy

Thursday 04/29/04

We went back to the consulate and arrived about 1:15. I wanted to get in on the Thursday bitch session that is supposed to start at 1:30 to get some answers in case we were denied again. We stood outside the consulate for about a half hour before we were brought in to stand in line some more. We then had our retinas scanned before going through a metal detector and were led through the building to stand in another line outside in the heat for about an hour. While standing there Bing and the other people waiting for overcome results were brought through into the same building we were waiting to go in. About 20 minutes later (we were still standing in line.) Bing comes out looking for me. I had the evidence bag and she needed a passport photo out of it. Of course I am anxious for news but she just says “I don’t know” and off she went. Finally we were let in for the information session. It had just begun when Bing comes out with a big smile on her face and a white slip in her hand. She had to wait for fingerprinting but it was in the same room as I was in so we got to wait together while we listened to the consular officer give his speech. It was quite informative. It was sort of a FAQ session. He talked about why the visas take so long once they reach GZ. He blames it on Chinese customs. Then he talked about different kind of visas such as K visas vs. family preference visas. Family preference visas take longer because of numerical limitations imposed by immigration law. Then he got into why visas are sometimes denied. According to him it is not some vendetta or a VO getting up on the wrong side of the bed that morning. (I’m not convinced) He says if the VO feels the relationship isn’t valid a blue slip will be issued. Some things that raise red flags are lack of evidence, i.e. photos, if there hasn’t been any contact with the applicant for a long time or if the VO feels they may not be able to communicate. Then he said the same thing we have been saying all along. There is no requirement that we speak each others language. All you have to prove is that you can communicate. It can be with paper and pencil, electronic translators or anything that “proves the relationship works”. Then he went into the question and answer period which promptly turned into a lot of angry petitioners wanting to know why their cases aren’t being processed. He reiterated that he couldn’t discuss individual cases. I wanted to stick around and ask him why they check that the petitioner has to speak Chinese for five minutes but about that time Bing’s name was called for fingerprinting and I lost interest. We took the white slip then went shopping to celebrate. Bing picked up 3 new blouses and the new phrase “darling pay money”. (She has taken to calling me darling because it is easier for her to say than Carl) We then went back to our hotel and had a two hour massage that was to die for and talked about her interview over dinner. She said the woman who interviewed her for the over come was very nice and spoke fluent Putongua. Bing told her she was very nervous and the lady told her “don’t worry you’ve got it”. This puts to bed the theory that you are assigned one visa officer for everything. This was a totally different woman with completely different attitude. She only asked Bing if she could speak English. I don’t even know if she watched the video or not. I think maybe if Bing would have brought back our original video she may have passed anyway. On the other hand I think my being there may have been what made the difference. The biggest piece of advice I can give people waiting for interview now is to make a video in advance and be there for the interview. Even if you are denied you can get what you need and bring it back the next day saving your loved one an extra trip to GZ while you are scrambling to get a visa to come over to China.

Friday 04/30/04

We went to the medical center where Bing had her medical check done and got her vaccinations today. Afterwards we had a leisurely stroll over to a fast food place near the White Swan Hotel. We ate some ice cream and killed a little time before going over to the consulate to pick up her visa. We got in another line where we waited out in the hot sun and high humidity (think summertime in Louisiana) finally they let us through and staged us in yet another line and this consular official comes out and says "we have some bad news. Due to some technical problems with the new biometric scanning system we only have visas for 26 of you. If we call your name come over across the street and get in line. Those of you who aren't called we will take your name and phone number and you should be able to pick up your visa May 10th after the Labor Day holidays." My heart was pretty much in my throat because the last thing we wanted was for Bing to have to make another 13 hour trip to Guangzhou to pick up her visa. After about 10 names we finally heard "Huang Bing" I was so relieved. Bing beaming from ear to ear ran across the street and got in the line to pick up her visa. We then went to the hotel and got our bags went to the bus station where we had a nightmare bus ride to Nanning with a bus driver I was sure was going to kill us on several occasions. Now Bing is in the process of preparing to come to Portland. She dropped everything when she got the denial and now has to pick up where she left off. I'm not quite sure when she will be coming to Portland yet but my best guess is about 10 days after me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, Carl. We've all been waiting to hear the story. Just hearing that Bing got the visa was great news, but not enough. I'm very happy for you and Bing, working together through this adversity will only make your love stronger, plus it'll be a great story to tell the grandkids one day.

Gotta run, but tell Bing, "Welcome to America"!

wow - what a story :rolleyes:

congrats - my fiance got approved and will be here near the same time - may 14th!

we're in SF if ya ever are nearby <_<

she had a VO that was also nice - i kinda wish that someone would maybe do a close look at the VOs approvals/denials, and then run a second check on the appeals of their denials and rate them on how many appeals pass.

that way the real problem VOs who cause so much heartbreak and emotional distress, by being vendictive or just pain in the asses like that, could be somehow held more accountable.

but i digress...congrats again!

Great story, I am wondering about somethings maybe you and others can clue me in on. I was going to be there for the interview but we figure if I buy a plane ticket for her to come back with me an she is delayed then I lose money,If I wait until she has visa and buy plane ticket I will pay dearly for it so the best option money-wise is to wait until after she has visa and has affairs in order then go get her. HOWEVER I want to be there for the interview and she does not want to fly alone so can anyone clue me in on other options as I would like to be there for interview and bring her home with me.

Tickets are not neccesarily more on short notice. I bought my ticket to China on only a weeks notice the price was the same as if purchased earlier. Maybe plan 2 weeks in China and get the ticket as soon as approved. Good luck Darrell.

Carl!

Great Story!

But what is this!?: "In a way, I feel that the visa is all of yours, as well as ours"

Hey Carl! I thought you lived in the same Oregon city as me -- not Hollywood Calf!

This ain't the Oscars -- You got it because it was : The Right Thing To Do!

Also as one who has been through the Consulate in GZ twice for adoption, let me just say this about your notes from the Thursday (4-29) Meeting with the consulate officer :

"He talked about why the visas take so long once they reach GZ. He blames it on Chinese customs."

REALLY!?!?

Well, let me ask you this Mr. "Customs Man" --- then why don't you put the applications in a diplomatic pouch and circumvent Chinese Customs completely?

This is an entirely appropriate use of this form of "Diplomatic Immunity" (this is a proper function of STATE, on behalf of its citizens! there is no hint that it is to "circumvent" anything!)

....And you can bet that the Chinese are using it to bring similar papers to America.

AND BY THE WAY! It is the way the adoption applications for both my daughters were transported!

This smells like dead fish to me...

---Kim

Congratulations to you and Bing! Great details of your experience, and it is evidence that GZ is still processing fiance visas! I'm a bit scared though...due to work schedules, I doubt I will beable to travel to China when Ping has her interview.

No shortage of photos, recent letters and calls though....and I've sent ping copies of the translator user manual along with a copy of my receipt for its purchase. Jeeesus this is nerve wracking!

Al

Guest Gene

Congratulations again Carl and Bing. Thankyou very much for the detailed journal of what happened, It helps us people behind you a lot in preparing for for the interview.

Carl,

Great story.

I am very glad that you got the visa on Friday, and didn't have to wait another 2 weeks.

I hope Bing is able to accompany you back home, but I can understand that leaving can be a bit hectic. And, of course, she can still load you down with a couple of extra suitcases.

Best Wishes,

----- Clifford ------

Congatulations, Carl and Bing. I cannot tell you how happy it made me to read the news. Also, Ningning was ecstatic when I told her about it. I don't believe she reads CFL but she was very disturbed when I told her of the difficulty you two were having.

Thank you for the details of the story. Tell Bing welcome home frfom all of us.

Phil

Congratulations Carl and Bing!!!!!

You have helped a lot of us here by keeping a journal. I know for us that our starting out on the visa journey it is a tremedous help to see how GZ reacts to things.

I also will be sure to make a video when I go back to visit my MM. I hope we will be well prepared for the interview by hearing about everyone experience who has gone before us.

David