SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

I like this format - much more actual coverage of the topic, and better editing. This is an informative video about Chinese food.

I've been to two different restaurants here in Yulin where I could watch them kill and drain my chicken from where I sat. One drained it into a bucket, the other drained it into a drainage trench alongside the restaurant. Good chicken either way!

Halfway through that video; have to finish it during my lunch break ... it's dense.

Just wanted to say that in my experience embedded with numerous work crews throughout China, diarrhea is the norm for those guys. Yes, I know because we're taking a dump in the grassy areas, behind the trees or side by side in the cozy communal squat toilets.

Sort of lowers the bar for their expectations of the quality of their tap water.

Wonder what other people think: for yourself or others, is diarrhea more likely in China than back home, wherever that may be?

Halfway through that video; have to finish it during my lunch break ... it's dense.

Just wanted to say that in my experience embedded with numerous work crews throughout China, diarrhea is the norm for those guys. Yes, I know because we're taking a dump in the grassy areas, behind the trees or side by side in the cozy communal squat toilets.

Sort of lowers the bar for their expectations of the quality of their tap water.

Wonder what other people think: for yourself or others, is diarrhea more likely in China than back home, wherever that may be?

I've had better experiences with the food in China than in the U.S. I'm not sure why - it maybe has to do with salt and other additives.

I avoid seafood in China (because of what they marinade in for their entire life-span). I think I caught a VERY mild case of listeria from the Blue Bell outbreak when I was there in 2015

From one source:

https://www.travmed.com/pages/health-guide-chapter-6-travelers-diarrhea

There is little risk (attack rate of about 4%) when visiting North America, northern and central Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Intermediate attack rates (8% to 20%) are found in travelers to most destinations in the Caribbean, southern Europe, Israel, Japan, and South Africa. High-risk destinations (attack rates of up to 60% during the first 2 weeks) include Mexico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti, and the developing countries of Africa, South and Central America, the Middle East, and Asia. One attack of travelers’ diarrhea won’t “immunize” you against further episodes. In fact, the attack rate in long-term travelers and expatriates remains unchanged for several years after arrival.

I have not been in China in a little over a year. On my 5 or 6 trips, I was always treated well; any issues were purely business-related.

Always checking in with police and getting stopped in traffic stops, they have been exemplary. And, the smaller the town, the more enthusiastic strangers were to come up and talk to me. Guards in guard shacks, fixers for companies who couldn't speak English, children, old people (with long memories) ... always good, inviting me to sit and smoke, smoke from the big bong they have in the south, share tea, hold hands (yep), take a picture, show me pics of the western celebrities they are fans of, ask me: how much I weigh, hold old I am, tell me I have beautiful eyes, voice, etc.

Anyway, finished that video. Glad to be spared the negativity and disappointment expressed in their other videos and that restaurant, while being very ordinary, looked just fine and the food looked delicious. Again, having worked in about 5 or 6 locations, the logistics guy always scouted out a reliable restaurant and we always got lunch and maybe half of our suppers there. They would be like the one pictured.

My mother in law who is staying with us can walk the 4 or 5 blocks over to the Asian market and buys bitter melon because she knows I like it. Also bringing back fish, odd fruits, and cuts off the hanging hogs.

But, I don't think she trusts our Denver water .... Rocky Mountain snow melt water .... has to boil it

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fairly good discussion of teaching English in China, if you're interested in watching. Back to the motorcycle format, with a sub-par audio

I'll say that my own experience, at the University level, was fairly good. Also that I think the new restriction of only hiring native English speakers is a good one. They can already read and write English at a newspaper level - they were taught by Chinese teachers. They can SPEAK English amongst themselves, but not at a level WE understand. What is needed is the native English (as spoken by yourself) to round out their education.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I'd have to rate this one as highly critical, but also highly accurate. I will say in defense of China that their garbage seems fairly clean, that they cycle through it and pick it up fairly often. Also that my hands seem cleaner here than they do in the states, although I'm not sure why.

My personal benchmark of China's polluted environment is that they won't be ready for clean air or clean water until they can learn to pick up after themselves

C-Milk gets taken for a ride by the Mafia, but brings it back home.

I'm not sure about his strategy of running up tickets while it's on someone else's registration, though

Edited by Randy W
edit: this video may or may not last very long (see edit history)

Can you fix this Randy? I'm not quite fluent on a cell phone yet.

A new video, not very well written but with SOME good information and some good scenery

Back to the old motorcycle format, but some new scenery in Jiangxi

posted earlier last month