Need USA Visas, My Mom's Sick

Unfortunately my mom is sick and old. So my wife (we got married 12.12.12 in Wuhan) and her mom want to meet her.

The thing is my mom is in the USA and my wife, her mom (neither have ever been -- or desired to go -- to the USA before) and I are in China. I'm the USA citizen who would also go along.

We would be staying at my mom's house. We just want to visit and then go back home to the good ol' PRC.

I know starting this month on the 16th that the USA visas can be applied for online here, I know how to do that. There is even going to be a new visa issuing office in Wuhan, hooray. We are thinking a July or August trip.

What are the requirements for these nonimmigrant visas for our trip? What are the do's and don'ts? Any help would be appreciated.

Money, connections, property in China, ties, relatives etc. I don't think that anyone has really found out what the magic key for approval is but if they have please speak up. There have been many with varying combinations that have gotten them and some with the same qualifications that were disapproved.

My guess is that in your case from what you have been posting is that the both of them getting a visa at the same time and it being their first visa is pretty slim. One thing for sure if you don't try they will never get one.

Larry

Okay, so nothing's different than any other Chinese national visiting the USA?

Don't forget that one of them is your wife! I would think that that would work to your advantage, but you never know. There's no separate category for this, though.

But yes, the application and interview procedure is the same.

In other spouse B-2 topics it has been stressed strongly you need to over come the issue of immigration intent, the consulate always assumes immigration is the intent when applying to visit. Marriage to a USC is strong evidence of possible immigration, they want to know if you are simply trying to use the B-2 to get to the USA quickly rather than going the through the normal I-130 process, or are truly visiting with no intent to immigrate.

You need to convince them that there is no intent to immigrate. Marriage to USC is a tough barrier because this is a strong immigration indicator. Many have been denied and have had to file an I-130 and get a spouse visa just to visit.

Sorry that your mom is ill and hope you get those visas approved ASAP. We've had good luck getting the office in Beijing to issue B2 visas so far of course both of us are in USA and citizens.

Ya know cuzin' Bawb. Looking at your avatar photo I can see why you have no problem gettin' B2 visas for yore Chinese family. You is one tough lookin' book learned hombre.

tsap seui

Sorry that your mom is ill and hope you get those visas approved ASAP. We've had good luck getting the office in Beijing to issue B2 visas so far of course both of us are in USA and citizens.

Ya know cuzin' Bawb. Looking at your avatar photo I can see why you have no problem gettin' B2 visas for yore Chinese family. You is one tough lookin' book learned hombre.

tsap seui

I ain't so frisky as that anymore cuz'tsappy that's an old picture from high school when I was young and purty

Well, you wuz purdy back in the day, Bawb. I reckon yer dance card was completely full to overflowing at ever high school dance you went to. And prom time? You probably had to beat the girls off with a stick. I'll bet you were the king of the prom as well as the cock o' the walk. Sum guys is lucky like that, jes borned purdy. Me? Why I'd have to pull all my teef, buy me some hair, and put on $500 of Maybellene's best makeup to look that gud.

tsap seui.

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Bottom line is proving they will return to China. Proof of your job there, your resident visa, your wife and MIL jobs, family, savings, grandchildren etc etc etc. I would focus on why you yourself will return since your wife is coming with you.

Good luck with the visa attempt. Like everyone said, show strongly the reasons why they will return. Some folks are lucky on the first attempt, some must fight like they are guilty until proven innocent. Let's hope the visa officer looks upon your wife and mother in law as innocent until proven guilty....and given the visas.

I don't understand such a fuss with visitor visas, they are giving get out of jail free passes to tens of thousands of people who came in illegally, were caught, and detained. Just open up the borders, why hassle folks who are trying legally to come for a visit?

Just hope wifey and ma don't dare see anything they like about America. That process is a whole lot worse. LOL

tsap seui

I'll add my own 2 maos here because my wife was approved for a visitor visa to the USA back in 2011 after being denied twice.

The first denial was because we didn't bring photos of our relationship. My wife, for some reason, felt that bring them on a USB stick would be OK - like they'd allow her to plug a USB device into their computer... :oneeye: Of course - since she was confident about it I didn't press it and the expected result came back - denied.

The second interview was ridiculous - the visa officer didn't look at anything my wife brought and insisted that she needed to apply for a K-1 fiancee visa - this was after we'd already been married for over a year...and my wife had brought our marriage booklets. She tried to show them to the visa officer. My best guess is that he had either A) been having a bad morning or B) saw that my wife had been previously denied and didn't want to put his neck on the line.

The third time was the charm though. She went into her interview armed with bank statements showing 100k RMB deposits in a joint Chinese bank account (if you research joint accounts in China between a foreigner and Chinese national and find that they are impossible to get don't believe it. Go to an Industrial Credit Union or Bank of China and ask there. They both offer the service). She also brought English and Chinese copies of a name chopped letter from her employer stating that she was employed and had promised to return at such and such a date to resume her job duties. I also wrote a letter explaining the purpose of our visit to the USA and that I was employed and would be returning to work on such and such a date as well and that our purpose of visiting was not to immigrate.

Overall I think it's reasonable to expect a denial. That can be discouraging but if you continue to try and modify what you show the visa officer each time I think it's also reasonable to expect that you'll eventually get the visa. One irritating thing is that for each person it's a couple thousand kuai to apply that is non-refundable including the time off from work, etc., if you go with your wife and her mother.

I would be sure to include in your letter to the visa officer that your mother is sick and that's why you're going. For some reason they seem to sympathize with this. My friend applied for a visitor visa and was also denied twice - the third time he applied he included in his letter photos of his sister who had cancer, and who was the reason his wife and him wanted to travel to the US - and his wife was approved for a year long multiple entry visa.

Good luck

• Like 1