Visit every 6-9 months?

Thank you all again very much for putting things in perspective.

I couldn't imagine marrying her and then leaving, that would have made this process even more trying than it is now. Not to mention what I'd tell her parents. "I have no prospects yet but I'll take care of that soon as I get to New York." There were other factora, such as us being so ignorant of this process that we didn't even know a spouse visa existed, not that it would've made a difference.

We will certainly prepare well for this particular question, should it arise. Thank you, guys and thanks to David for bringing it to my attention.

I've gotten time off work for the last week of April and I plan on traveling somewhere to meet her. We have two options:

1. I go to China and we see the family, take more pictures, maybe even have a formal engagement party.

2. We travel to a different country together.

Last summer we traveled through Thailand and Laos.

I was thinking meeting somewhere in Central or South America but that idea soon deflated. Visa issues aside, where my tickets are $300, hers will be > $2000. The best compromise where visa and cost both balance seems to be southeast Asia again. Perhaps Vietnam this time, we haven't been there yet. Her tickets are cheap, and prices for me hover around $1000.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, locations I may have overlooked? Or would it maybe be better to go to China and have an official engagement party? I know we should just live our lives and not do everything for the sake of "evidence" but I can't help wanting to get the most mileage out of this visit. Any ideas?

I would say China, have the party, cement yourself in the friends and family, maybe even travel around China. There are so many great tourist destinations in the Middle Kingdom to explore that are eye-popping and relatively inexpensive. Just this year we had Guilin, Xiamen and next is Xian. We are looking at northeast China for a summer trip and our friends just got back from Tibet.

My boss has agreed to give me the week off from 04.29 to 05.03, which, including weekends, is a total of nine days--theoretically. I'd lose two days traveling and arrive Sunday morning Beijing time, that's if I could catch an early flight out of JFK Friday night after work. Then, six days later on the following Sunday, I'd have to fly back. I want to see her but this feels haphazard, given the flight time and ticket prices. A little over $1000 was the cheapest I found, and that was a connecting flight with 14 hours wait time between flights. The only thing I'm concerned about is that our time apart will not raise any red flags during her interview, even though nearly everyone has said that is not necessarily a deciding factor.

I have officially found a new thing to become neurotic about. I knew it wouldn't take me long. :)

Wow, all the traveling to other countries you guys have done makes your case even stronger than I thought. I'm sure your documenting all of that wiht ticket stubbs, etc. You've already got a ton of good evidence. With a 9 day trip you could relax a little and get more good photos of you guys with her family and friends. The official engagement party idea sounds good towards bona fide relationship evidence...and you have another visit to see her.

Vietnam would be great to see but you are gonna be one tired traveler wiht all that time in the air and sittin' in airports to get to China. Go see and spend some time your lady, Vietnam will still be there in the future...lol

Again, it's good to have some fear, it keeps you on your toes and helps to not make mistakes. Your evolution of relationship letter is gonna be awesome. Don't worry about how long it is, just put your relationship in easy to read highly detailed format.

I like Fu Lai's suggestion to tour China some, there are many, many things to see and do in that country and at not much cost.

The other one that erks me some times is people once having a K1 visa ask about travel after the K1 arrives in the USA mentioning visiting every where on the world except the states which is difficult with a K1 or even green card, best to explore the states with just K1 or green card, later when have green card Canada, Mexico, and Carribeean become possibilities, after citizenship then the world is easy.

I don't have too much to add here, the others have explained things very well. Hopefully to help you relax a little, in my case, I traveled to China only once for about two weeks before filing for K-1. The next time I was in China was for Jen's interview and everything worked out fine for us. Try to keep confident things are fine and make sure she feels the same. It's going to work out fine.

Ever since I've started reading and asking for advice here I've come to feel a lot more confident than I have in the past few months. At least now I don't feel like this is some sort of gamble, but something for which you can prepare.

I'm flying there from 04.26 to 05.05 and we'll spend the week together in Beijing, doing silly touristy stuff but mostly just staring at each other all silly.

• Like 1

At least now I don't feel like this is some sort of gamble, but something for which you can prepare.

You said the magic words...."something for which you can prepare".

As I skimmed through this I noticed there were a few minor misunderstandings by the readers about your situation such as why you didn't marry her while you were in China or why you left to come back to the US without marrying, etc. What happened or didn't happen is not what I am trying to point out, but rather how easily a misunderstanding can arise when trying to explain something.

While you have a chance to explain away those misunderstandings on this website, your girl will not have the same opportunity during the 1 or 2 minutes she'll have during the interview. The officer will ask questions and how she answers could be a key to a successful interview. Not just what she says but how she says them and the confidence that comes across.

So helped her be prepared as well since she will be the one in the hot seat. If you haven't seen these already, there is a list of potential interview questions here: http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_FAQ_Interview_Questions_Final1.htm#Q1_2

As you go along in the process and get closer to the interview, pretend you are the VO and ask her those questions. I did that with my wife (fiance at the time), and despite the fact that the 3 people ahead of her were denied visas, she was quickly passed. I think that has a lot to do with how well she was prepared.

Work on your story with her so she is ready for the kinds of questions that may be thrown at her. You have a good solid story and don't have to make anything up, you just want to help her frame her answers so she is ready to answer confidently rather than freezing or stumbling or appearing unable to answer. The interview is like a one or two minute audition and the outcome of the audition will be determined by someone who may or may not know what he/she is doing.

Prepare with her, plan the interview, have all paperwork in order and filed so it is easy for her to find, practice some more with her, and she will do just fine.

If you don't prepare, then it really is a gamble.

Good luck and enjoy your time with her!!

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My boss has agreed to give me the week off from 04.29 to 05.03, which, including weekends, is a total of nine days--theoretically. I'd lose two days traveling and arrive Sunday morning Beijing time, that's if I could catch an early flight out of JFK Friday night after work. Then, six days later on the following Sunday, I'd have to fly back. I want to see her but this feels haphazard, given the flight time and ticket prices. A little over $1000 was the cheapest I found, and that was a connecting flight with 14 hours wait time between flights. The only thing I'm concerned about is that our time apart will not raise any red flags during her interview, even though nearly everyone has said that is not necessarily a deciding factor.

I just want to comment on the quick trips. I did it several times, when

I had to spend a lengthy time back in Washington attending to

business. When I did this - I would spend 2-3 weeks working and then,

leave Friday - direct to Shanghai - spend the week - and back on Sunday

- all told about 9 days away from work. I also increased efficiency by

having my finance at the time - fly to Shanghai - and we would bunk in

at the Hyatt in the JinMao tower. This netted maximum time - minimal

airport delays - and the real risk was a broken plane - since there were

no plane changes for either of us. I also investigated other

alternatives all with minimal - plane changes but I just didn't pull the

trigger since I was always able to get business class to Shanghai. One

of my alternatives - was to train out of Washington (usually reliable)

and then direct to GuangZhou or Beijing or Hong Kong - then have her

join me there to reduce airport delays. You're plan is doable....I've

done it multiple times - but avoid plane changes - reduces the risk

significantly. Enjoy....also the gals like to go to different cities - a "staycation"

rw - fixed quote tags, and (hopefully) didn't screw anything else up

Due to losing a day flying there, all indirect flights were out. I'm going to leave on Friday and arrive in Beijing Sunday evening. Then I'm leaving next Sunday, evening, and arriving in New York Sunday evening, with plenty of time to get home and rest before work next Monday.She's coming to Beijing from Wuhan with the express train. I paid a little extra to time the departure and return dates just right, but it was worth it. I get bored stiff sitting in those things, and I can never sleep that way.

Edited by Invictus (see edit history)