I have recently joined this forum and have spent the last few days reading pinned topics and threads which just caught my fancy. First off, I'd like to thank the admins that there is even a site like this. It has already opened my eyes to many things which I'm sure I will need to know. It also seems to have a supportive community which is always good to find.

My loved one and I are just embarking on this entire process. I had felt overwhelmed and confused in trying to sort out everything I needed so that we could be married in China. I now see that I was mistaken. Trying to figure out what Immigration wants and in what order is now showing me the extent of my capacity to be overwhelmed and confused.

I'm sure that I'll have questions in the future, at present I'm not even sure what I need to ask. Well, there is one question. Is there a cheat sheet for all the acronymns (together in one place) as well as a brief synopsis of the different forms?

Welcome to candle.

Yes good choice to marry in China and then file for a spouse visa.

Will there be any step-children immigrating? If so what is age of step child?

Acronyms and info: http://candleforlove.com/FAQ/CFL_EZ_FAQ.htm

Spouse visa involves filing an I-130 and a G-325A from petitioner and beneficiary. Also recommended to front-load the petition, search for front loading.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19303-cfl-timelines-forms-faq/

Welcome to candle.

Yes good choice to marry in China and then file for a spouse visa.

Will there be any step-children immigrating? If so what is age of step child?

Acronyms and info: http://candleforlove.../CFL_EZ_FAQ.htm

Spouse visa involves filing an I-130 and a G-325A from petitioner and beneficiary. Also recommended to front-load the petition, search for front loading.

http://candleforlove...ines-forms-faq/

He forgot the most important advise............ Buy Cheetos!.... They can be very therapeutic during the whole process.

He will also need an 'Affidavit of Single Status' in order to marry in China unless this has changed.

Yep, two ways this is done.

1) Visit a US Consulate and get one. http://guangzhou.use..._in_china2.html

OR

2) Get a letter stating not married from state department of their home state and then have it Authenticated at the Chinese Consulate that their state falls under for jurisdiction. http://candleforlove...on-of-documents

1. Affidavit of Single Status

Schedule an appointment at the embassy in Shanghai to get an affidavit of Single Status

http://shanghai.usem...e_in_china.html

2. (Optional) Translation of Affidavit of Single Status

You can get your affidavit translated anywhere in Shanghai or in the city where you will get married. Our marriage office required a translation, yours might not.

3. Marriage

Documents required:

a. Your passport

b. Wife’s national ID card

c. Wife’s residency permit (hukou)

Both of you will get a “red book.”

This is your marriage certificate.

4. White Book

Document required: Your “red book”

This is an official notary translation from the Chinese government office of your “red book”. You’ll need this to file your I-130 and later Immigration Visa.

5. (Optional) Front Loading

Front Loading refers to the instructions to file Form I-130.

Page 2 and 3 (What Documents Do you need to prove a family relationship)

http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Specifically

Affidavit (friends/ relatives)

http://forums.immigr...a-Fide-Marriage

(My brother, Her mother and Uncle each filled one out; I didn’t get them notarized)

6. Before you return home and file your I-130 you’ll need:

a. Passport style photo yourself

b. Passport style photo wife

7. After you file your I-130 you’ll have about 6 month wait until the next step, make sure you file a joint Married Tax return (this is relationship evidence).

Edited by fidel (see edit history)

I apologize if my first post seemed vague. I live in the United States and my significant other is a Chinese national. We had been coresponding and decided to meet to confirm our feeling. I went to China and both of us felt that we were right for each other. We became engaged and upon my return to the US, I started the process of getting the necessary paperwork together. At this point, I've sent off the paperwork to the Secretary of State (for my state) for my divorce decree and my avidavit of single status (duly notarized). Hopefully I will get that back this week. I'll then send everything to the appropriate Chinese consulate with their paperwork. If everything goes as planned, I should get the finished paperwork back the first week of July. In August, I'll return to China and we'll register our marriage. There will be one step-child involved. He will turn 21 in a few months (after the marriage but before the process is complete).

At present, I have copies of all of our emails, logs of our chats on qq, and of course pictures of us together and with her family.

I had originally thought that we should be using the I-130 and a G-325A. Unfortunately, I seem to have confused myself with all the reading about B2 and K3 forms. From what you said Dan, I'm assuming that the I-130 is the proper form to be looking at to begin. Thanks for the links. I'll be checking them out, also trying to figure what front loading means in this context.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate the help.

Ok then not much you can do about step child, no way to be able to get them to the USA at same time as parent, future spouse would have to file a petition after she immigrates, and then the long wait for step child, that is if wishes to immigrate to the USA.

In order for you to petition for a step child the marriage would have to happen prior to age 18, after that then better off going K-1, K-2 but that only is good up to age 21. Sounds like that wont work either, so the course you have chosen is best.

Just a note, don't be miffed if you go to get married in China and the marriage bureau folks tell you you need to go to the nearest American consulate to get you single certificate....even after you went through all this trouble in America....some of them will do that to you.

Instead of the trouble here, I just went to the consulate in Shenyang for us and it was too easy to get the paperwork needed there.

Just a thought. As a matter of fact, don't get miffed at anything in this process.....it's a waste of energy. Ask many questions don't leave any stone unturned

good luck

tsap seui

• Like 1

" Ok then not much you can do about step child, no way to be able to get them to the USA at same time as parent, future spouse would have to file a petition after she immigrates, and then the long wait for step child......"

As Dan states, this is the current political reality, for those choosing to immigrate legally from China.

Not to get into a political cat fight in an election year, but to quote the Republican (for the record, I'm a life long Democrat) candidate ---his stated policy is to reunite in the US (legal) immigrant families in a timely manner and furthermore, that any foreign (Chinese) student getting an advanced degree from an accredited US university also gets a green card!

One more stone to unturn is the K-2, if the step-son actually is interested in immigrating with his mother.

If they can get the K-1/K-2 visas (and use them) before he turns 21, he will be allowed to adjust status with his mother.

They may be able to expedite the visa to allow for the timing.

This is a fiance visa, not a marriage visa, so you would have to get married in the US.

• Like 1

I had originally thought that we should be using the I-130 and a G-325A. Unfortunately, I seem to have confused myself with all the reading about B2 and K3 forms. From what you said Dan, I'm assuming that the I-130 is the proper form to be looking at to begin. Thanks for the links. I'll be checking them out, also trying to figure what front loading means in this context.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate the help.

A few more notes.

1) Forget about the K-3, USCIS ties the petitions together (I-130 and the I-129F) and sends to NVC together where NVC closes the I-129F and proceeds on with the I-130 for CR-1 spouse visa. The when USCIS gets that I-129F it tends to slow things a little while they tie the two petitions together.

2) As others say you may possibly consider K-1 filing now and depending on timing you may just get the interview to happen before step child's 21st birth day. How long from from now exactly will son turn 21? And also is he interested in immigrating?

Where does the electronic filing come into play?

After an I-130 is approved by USCIS, they send it to NVC, that is when you opt into the electronic process to email documents to, and then hand carry them to the consulate for the visa interview.

Thanks for all of the replies and the help. Future step-son will turn 21 on April 9, 2013. If all the paperwork is done, we will marry the first week in August. He has had plans for a few years to come to the US to attend a university. Right now, he plans to take the proficiency examination this Fall. Perhaps the best course would be for him to get a student visa. At the moment, he thinks that after getting a degree in the US he will return to China.

Thanks for the way you laid everything out fidel. You anticipated my questions, posting the info while I was writing my last post.

Are you serious about the avidavit of single status tsap seui? The wedding registry might reject an avidavit from the Chinese consulate in the US and demand that the US consulate in China provide one? We will be marrying in Wuhan and there is a US consulate there. At least the travel time to go there won't be long if it proves necessary. I'll try to maintain patience, tranquility and a sense of humor. It's become very obvious that I will need all of them.

A few questions concerning filing a joint tax return. (Good advice for proof of relationship) Do the Chinese have something similar to the US's W-2 form? What paperwork will be necessary for filing a joint return when married to a foreign national? Obviously, my significant other won't have a social security number. Are there resources available to help with information with filing?