Where but China could see......

A guy with his body layin' over his bicycle and his head in the gutter....10 feet away.

Opps, wrong part of Asia...that was in downtown Saigon. I had to step over the body and blood trail to walk to the hospital just down the sidewalk to see some of my friends who had gotten shot down and lived to tell about it. The guy had a sign pinned to his chest that said...."Viet Cong BEWARE" :rotfl:

I doubt I could see anything in China that would lift my eyebrow but I've seen lots of things that made me laugh my butt off. That place is charmin' and hilarious.

tsap seui

Only in china might you see a building knocked down with a wrecking ball and the debris hauled away by men with wheel barrows then the new modern high rise going up with bamboo scaffolding.

Wow, sobering observation, Tsap...... RobertH is onto something here, though IMHO -- what makes China, China..

And since we all have multiple images, let them flow ~ ! (one at a time!) Last century, late afternoon, from my BJ hotel high above the surrounding old tenements --- pigeon keepers are releasing their flocks---which fly and turn in unison----catching the late afternoon sun in their wings and reflecting it up to my window..

Within the first two hours after I first set foot on the mainland, (Nanjing) driving from the old airport to downtown--- tearing down the old three story brick business fronts, and traditional houses ---- literally hundreds CAT backhoes and Japanese brands --- all working together, block after block---as if it were a matter of huge urgency, for several miles! -- huge clouds of dust made it all surreal and emaciated laborers hauling the long traditional hand carts with perhaps, 800 lbs of salvaged bricks. One such hod carrier got caught in the middle of the road, and couldn't overcome the inertia of the huge weight---and the bus driver laid on the horn! -- the glare between the two spoke volumes about class stratification.

Several blocks further, to the west, highlighted in the illuminated dust---a dozen pre-teen kids on top of one of the half destroyed buildings --- with the backhoes, tearing down portions of the same buildings---all shrouded in dust! ---having a sword fight ! (from salvaged building materials) and one of them-----wearing a dunce cap!! Fedricho Fallini would have been proud!

A working man retuning from work-- peddling along the shoulder of the new, 6 lane highway, clearly not designed for bike traffic--- he is covered in what appears to be dark grease --- on the back of his bike is his daughter, ( 6-8) in a pretty dress --- and colorful bows in her hair, all smiles, happy, and proud of her dad....

The city of Kunming. He hangs out several blocs east of one noted international hotel. I pass him everyday, he has a major disability --- not of his own making --- and not of the "Slum Dog Millionaire" type either --- his limbs are naturally foreshortened from some genetic defect. But he writes in chalk on the sidewalk, beautiful Chinese characters, with ultimate precision.

One (late afternoon) the last day of my stay -- I am dragging a huge load of luggage as I pass him, packing up. I drop it all, and give him a thumbs up --- (he really had a talent with characters) .... and place some RMB into his box (which, as it turns out, has no bottom) --- so you can see, a basic defense against street thugs... As I do this, several, obviously local residents of Kunming. just off work on the sidewalk, stop and beam at me, say nothing, but are clearly supporting me with their gestures, I avert my eyes, and walk on to the train station..

Downtown Chongqing, Only place in the world you can stand in one place and turn 360 degrees on any day, or night and in one turn see over 100 women that are drop dead beautful. My wife always jokes that when I am old and retired she is going to put a chair in Chongqing center and each day I can sit on my chair and watch the beautiful women.

Edited by Scott@Hong (see edit history)