Need help getting iphone into China

Hi All,

It seems like it has been years since I last visited Candle. I hate that it would appear that I am only here now because I need something - But I guess this sadly is pretty much accurate.......... :( Things have been going so well for me that I have not had a reason to come here and ask questions ! ! !

I bought a (used) iPhone 4 for my wife’s son - who is still in China. I have been told and read that China customs officers have been ordered to collect 20% of an apple products VALUE (as determined by the customs official – they don’t care that it is used, etc.) before allowing it into the country. Which puts mailing it to him completely out of the question - I'm not going to pay that much just to get it to him more quickly - I'll just wait until my next trip and give it to him then.

But, because he has had some serious personal problems lately with his live-in girlfriend of five plus years........ He is just so depressed and sad - that I thought this would bring some much needed cheer into his life, if I can get it to him now.

Which brings me here to you fine folks. I was wondering if anybody on CFL is planning a trip to China soon - and would be willing to take this iPhone with you on the plane and then mail it to him once you get there?

I figured you could carry it on your person (as if it was your personal cell phone) but then once in the country you could wipe it down and put it back in its box and then mail it to him.

He lives in Liuzhou (Guangxi) - which is in the south east. North of Guangzhou and Nanning - and to the West of Hong Kong and Shenzhen. The closest city to it would be Guilin I think - about 2 hour drive from there. I mention this only if there was somebody who would actually be in the immediate vicinity and could hand deliver it (rather than mail it) which would be ideal.

Please, anybody who will be going to China soon - and would be willing to help me get this phone to her son - I would greatly appreciate it ! ! !

Thanks,

Scott DuVall

Your brave for trusting a random person on CFL.

If the Iphone was wrapped up inside the box, how would the customs officer know that its a iphone unless they opened it up? There are many phones that look like the iphone through the scanner if thats the excuse your thinking about. I think you should mail it to him, you will be fine. its probably going to cost you an arm and a leg though.

Another option would be to sell the iphone you have here and just wire him the money to buy one there. The money you get back for selling your iphone + shipping cost should be adequate enough?

I am very trusting. I would have no problem with a stranger transporting it for me. BUT... for example - with technology the way it is nowadays, especially with the apple products - if the phone was not delivered to my wife’s son as agreed - I could electronically have the phone LOCKED and have the serial number reported as stolen - and the phone would be useless. It could not be used with any cell company after that. But I don't think anybody here would do something as crazy as agree to deliver it... and not do so. :(

I would not consider mailing it because of several reasons - I have had at least one package sent to China never arrive - I would not pay China $125 in customs duties, especially after paying the large postal (or DHL) fees - Plus there is always the chance it will be stolen by the carrier or customs employees. Chinese people are OBSESSED with Apple products and would surely help themselves to it if they had the chance to get it. I have had things stolen from my luggage while entering China - this I have proof of - not just a feeling - it is a fact.

Scott

Edited by m-coon (see edit history)

I doubt the iphone will be able to replace his gf. Will this iphone work in China? Maybe just get him an I-Touch ipod instead.

As long as the phone is unlocked, he can pop in any sim card and be ready to go. It might not replace his GF, but he can impress other girls with his new iphone and acquire a new one :gleam:

I doubt the iphone will be able to replace his gf. Will this iphone work in China? Maybe just get him an I-Touch ipod instead.

As long as the phone is unlocked, he can pop in any sim card and be ready to go. It might not replace his GF, but he can impress other girls with his new iphone and acquire a new one :gleam:

Agree with Amaro and all his posts in this thread, he makes very valid points.

Guest ExChinaExpat

In m-coons case, he already bought the iPhone. But, for anyone who is considering buying someone an electronic device like a cell phone or computer, I suggest you buy it from a reputable Chinese vendor and have it delivered to their home. The other option, is to encourage your Chinese partner to get a pass to Hong Kong, and buy it there.

Nearly every US cell phone is locked by the distributing vendor. Verizon, t-mobile, what have you. You must get the unlock code from the vendor to enable it to be used in China. Again, you can avoid all of this by simply buying it in Hong Kong. They can also buy the iPhone just about anywhere in China. Prices are better in Hong Kong, and dealers more credible.

Edited by JiangsuExpat (see edit history)

If they don't have any fees on iPods... I'd just listed as an iPod and send it.

To follow up on and reinforce Jesse's point: The main reason to NOT send over a US based one is because you need to unlock it and that forces them to Phone versions and OS versions which can be unlocked (via SOFTWARE) AND if it has some trouble and loses it's "unlock" they are dead in the water until it is "unlocked" by someone again. That is a burden you put on the person.

If you buy one from overseas, it is FACTORY UNLOCKED, not SOFTWARE UNLOCKED.

I actually bought one overseas myself and use it in the US... so my iPhone is FACTORY UNLOCKED. I can put any OS version on it I want without any worries.

As stated by JiansuExpat - I indeed have already purchased the iPhone. I appreciate everybody’s concerns about other issues such as whether this was the wisest thing to do, but what is done is done.

I bought this from a very reliable source (a good friend wanting the 4s instead of the regular 4 model) and it is indeed completely unlocked (by Apple) so its use in China is not an issue.

I will not mail it there no matter what. If I have to wait until Fall and deliver it myself I will - I had really hoped that somebody here has a kind heart and is willing to do this simple task for me while they are in China. Either this thought is frightening or nobody from CFL is planning a trip to China anytime soon???

Thanks All - maybe somebody will step up to bat and do this huge favor for me. :)

Scott

Guest ExChinaExpat

As stated by JiansuExpat - I indeed have already purchased the iPhone. I appreciate everybody’s concerns about other issues such as whether this was the wisest thing to do, but what is done is done.

I bought this from a very reliable source (a good friend wanting the 4s instead of the regular 4 model) and it is indeed completely unlocked (by Apple) so its use in China is not an issue.

I will not mail it there no matter what. If I have to wait until Fall and deliver it myself I will - I had really hoped that somebody here has a kind heart and is willing to do this simple task for me while they are in China. Either this thought is frightening or nobody from CFL is planning a trip to China anytime soon???

Thanks All - maybe somebody will step up to bat and do this huge favor for me. :)

Scott

Scott, I suggest you sell the phone you bought on craigs list or ebay, and buy another one online. You may lose a little, but it's the safest and fastest method to get it to him.

I would of brought it but when Scott posted this and I first read it I was leaving for Guilin in 10 hours, no time to get the phone to me, maybe next trip.The weather is cool for sure now in Guilin. Wish would see the sun anyway. But is still great to be back to China