About Chinese women who have overstayed...

DennisLeiqin

I'd be happy to hear you say that you weren't referring to me.

Once here, they stay here. They can start a business, drive a car, own a home...and they live here without fear of immigration reprisal.

I just don't understand why some here in this forum continue to insist that there's something different than this reality.

Randy, you took the position that ICE has in place a deportation system to remove these women from our society. I disputed that premise. Not trying to step on your toes by taking a contrary position; however, I do take an opposing view and I don't understand why you find that opposing view as seemingly something that you need to defend or attack. Frankly, I find that subject silly and not worth discussing further.

I simply wanted to share some of my experience of these women who have overstayed here in the US and appreciate yours and other opinions as to why our immigration system allows them to arrive and overstay, as well as what reasons these women seek to come here. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, you took the position that ICE has in place a deportation system to remove these women from our society. I disputed that premise. Not trying to step on your toes by taking a contrary position; however, I do take an opposing view and I don't understand why you find that opposing view as seemingly something that you need to defend or attack. Frankly, I find that subject silly and not worth discussing further.

I simply wanted to share some of my experience of these women who have overstayed here in the US and appreciate yours and other opinions as to why our immigration system allows them to arrive and overstay, as well as what reasons these women seek to come here. :)

What I said was that you and I have both participated in that very deportation system to a degree - namely, the IMMIGRATION COURTS

AGAIN - there is NOTHING to disagree with, defend, attack, OR oppose.

Please get back to your topic.

What I said was that you and I have both participated in that very deportation system to a degree - namely, the IMMIGRATION COURTS

OK, back on topic then...

For anyone interested, my participation in one case was as a character witness where a very close friend was asking for asylum from religious persecution. She is a pastor at our church and feared that returning to China she would receive retribution from her graduate thesis that she gave at her Chinese Christian seminary that condemned the Chinese government's policy of restricting religious freedom.

I was also a witness in a close friend's case of abuse by her American husband. Through tears (sobbing and whaling) she testified of being tied up to her bed while her husband performed sexual acts of torture where she had to show the court the scars she received. She told the court how she was required to stay nude throughout the day while her husband took pictures of her in various sexual positions. The state rested without rebuttal. Our friend tells us that the female judge was teared up listening to her testimony.

The first case won asylum. The second case was give an immediate unconditional 10-year green card.

PM me and I will give you these women's contact information.

I have always maintained that if the govt. was serious about doing something about illegal immigration they would shift their focus from the aliens themselves and go after the people who hire them. If the penalty were so severe that hiring them would no longer be worth the risk then there would be no jobs. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they will go home. This goes beyond just farmers and businesses. They also need to go after the people who hire day laborers and nannies.

This is how it dealt with in AU.

All legitimate citizens own a unique tax file number. By law no one can employ someone until they provide this tax file number. Heavy penalties are given to any employer who ignores this.

Sure, people & networks ignore this but they do get caught out. It seems to work pretty well. These networks such as Asian communities, red light districts, fruit picking seasons, markets etc get a heavy focus. The immigration & tax officers easily nail masses of illegals, employers & most probably both.

For anyone interested, my participation in one case was as a character witness where a very close friend was asking for asylum from religious persecution. She is a pastor at our church and feared that returning to China she would receive retribution from her graduate thesis that she gave at her Chinese Christian seminary that condemned the Chinese government's policy of restricting religious freedom.

I was also a witness in a close friend's case of abuse by her American husband. Through tears (sobbing and whaling) she testified of being tied up to her bed while her husband performed sexual acts of torture where she had to show the court the scars she received. She told the court how she was required to stay nude throughout the day while her husband took pictures of her in various sexual positions. The state rested without rebuttal. Our friend tells us that the female judge was teared up listening to her testimony.

The first case won asylum. The second case was give an immediate unconditional 10-year green card.

She wasn't really whaling, but wailing. Although ShaZhang may enjoy whaling I doubt that she's every thought of trying it. :)

She wasn't really whaling, but wailing. Although ShaZhang may enjoy whaling I doubt that she's every thought of trying it. :)

:rotfl: ...good one.

So I have read this thread with some casual interest in what Chinese communities are like in the largest metro areas especially in California. I recently spoke with a Chinese who got a teaching degree and certificate in China and at some point ran out of options for job, then found a position that placed her with a work visa for a limited period of time. Since then the visa has expired and she went out of status. Not wanting to return she moved to the LA area and I really am naiive but how can she work or get a license or buy a house or all these things I see suggested here. Do they provide falsified documents? work in the "underground society" etc. Seriously I will be talking more to see exactly where she will end up, but how can this be? i mean my wife studies at the community college and now the university I work and I had to submit dozens of forms and documents to justify ability to attend and instate tuition. I mean I couldn't fake these documents how do these illegals drive work buy a house attend school etc.

i am a smart fella I really am clueless in this area, my stereotype is mexican day workers and migrant agricultural workerss I never imagined them actually being above ground in any way

So I have read this thread with some casual interest in what Chinese communities are like in the largest metro areas especially in California. I recently spoke with a Chinese who got a teaching degree and certificate in China and at some point ran out of options for job, then found a position that placed her with a work visa for a limited period of time. Since then the visa has expired and she went out of status. Not wanting to return she moved to the LA area and I really am naiive but how can she work or get a license or buy a house or all these things I see suggested here. Do they provide falsified documents? work in the "underground society" etc. Seriously I will be talking more to see exactly where she will end up, but how can this be? i mean my wife studies at the community college and now the university I work and I had to submit dozens of forms and documents to justify ability to attend and instate tuition. I mean I couldn't fake these documents how do these illegals drive work buy a house attend school etc.

i am a smart fella I really am clueless in this area, my stereotype is mexican day workers and migrant agricultural workerss I never imagined them actually being above ground in any way

That's an interesting question and quite frankly I don't know how they do it, yet I see it all the time...I'll ask around and see what I find out.

I know that, a short term work visa teaching mor than likely was a language teaching job, the school may not needed a teaching license to teach language.

I have seen dealt with one case where a college student from Chine, married a green-card holder, they waited until GC-Holder could naturalize, once naturalized, they applied for her to adjust status. But in this case I beleived she remained a college student in status until able to file to adjust status.

As for many of the other issues, from what I read, Cali seems to be quite liberal in how they treat illegal and undocumented aliens, tending to look the other way, and don't ask attitude.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You can't get a driver's license in CA without proof of legal presence.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl05.htm

As of a year ago there were only 3 states left where an illegal alien could get a driver's licence, New Mexico, Washington and Utah. They are required to come into compliance with federal regulations that would require legal presence in those states as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/17/states-revise-rules-drivers-licenses-illegal-immigrants-national-id-approaches/

Identity Requirements For an Original DL/ID Card

When you apply for an original California DL/ID card, you must present:

• An acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/ LP) document(s).
  • An acceptable true full name document if the name of your BD/LP document is different from the name on your DL/ID card application.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN). It will be verified with the Social Security Administration (SSA) while you are in the DMV office. You must also provide verification of your SSN to change an existing SSN on DMV's date base.

I'm of two minds on the topic. Driving is a privilege not a right so I see no legal basis for forcing states to allow them to get a driver's license. On the other hand if they can't get a license they will probably drive anyway and be less likely to have insurance.

You can't get a driver's license in CA without proof of legal presence.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pu...acts/ffdl05.htm

As of a year ago there were only 3 states left where an illegal alien could get a driver's licence, New Mexico, Washington and Utah. They are required to come into compliance with federal regulations that would require legal presence in those states as well.

http://www.foxnews.c...-id-approaches/

Identity Requirements For an Original DL/ID Card

When you apply for an original California DL/ID card, you must present:

• An acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/ LP) document(s).
  • An acceptable true full name document if the name of your BD/LP document is different from the name on your DL/ID card application.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN). It will be verified with the Social Security Administration (SSA) while you are in the DMV office. You must also provide verification of your SSN to change an existing SSN on DMV's date base.

I'm of two minds on the topic. Driving is a privilege not a right so I see no legal basis for forcing states to allow them to get a driver's license. On the other hand if they can't get a license they will probably drive anyway and be less likely to have insurance.

Probably got the DL while leagly in the USA on a work visa, but in cases like that I have seen posts on VJ where Cali sets the DL expiration to the I-94 card's expiration, at the end of valid legal presence.

I briefly spoke with a close friend, Mary, who is very tuned-in to these women. She tells me that they do get a driver license (now that I read the Calif. law that Carl posts, I will need to look into this further). All I know is I see them buy and driving cars when I know their immigration status. In fact, I know one woman who is currently going to driving school so that she can get a driver license and buy a car. This woman has overstayed now ~3month and she knew right off that she'd need to have a car to work, live and survive in LA.

They pay cash for their autos. There's no legal residence requirement to attend school, heck we all know about that. If they can put 50%, they can buy a home without having proof of legal status, Mary tells me.

Mary says what often happens is, after overstaying a year (don't know why or if one year is important) many of these women will hire a lawyer to plead a case of asylum in immigration court. When I met my wife, she was an asylee. She and her son gained asylum after her American born husband died 8 months after their arrival here. I never learned what they pleaded or how they were granted asylum. I always guessed that it was out of kindness of the immigration court. Anyway, Mary said that's what she's seeing. She believes the courts are pretty liberal about granting asylum.

I will add more when as I learn.

I believe this is part of the federal law Dan. The driver's license expires when the legal residency does.

In my wife's case she got DL before 2 year GC expired, her DL expired long after the 2 year card did, I have also seen posts with same behavior in Arizona.

Other states pin expiration of DL at same time as Green-card.

I guess that is up to the states to determine, in the case of my wife's DL, it may have to do with legal presensence technically does not end when a green card expires, only when USCIS revokes LPR status.

In my wife's case she got DL before 2 year GC expired, her DL expired long after the 2 year card did, I have also seen posts with same behavior in Arizona.

My wife's ID Card in Arizona (issued by the DMV) expires when her two-year green card does.