About Chinese women who have overstayed...

DennisLeiqin

In my wife's case she got DL before 2 year GC expired, her DL expired long after the 2 year card did, I have also seen posts with same behavior in Arizona.

My wife's ID Card in Arizona (issued by the DMV) expires when her two-year green card does.

Yep may have remembered posts about AZ DL on VJ wrong.

However NY tends to set expiration at 8 years from birth day, or 3 years for a learners permit, you get what you pay for in NY, pay for an 8 year DL, you get an 8 year DL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my wife's case she got DL before 2 year GC expired, her DL expired long after the 2 year card did, I have also seen posts with same behavior in Arizona.

My wife's ID Card in Arizona (issued by the DMV) expires when her two-year green card does.

Yep may have remembered posts about AZ DL on VJ wrong.

However NY tends to set expiration at 8 years from birth day, or 3 years for a learners permit, you get what you pay for in NY, pay for an 8 year DL, you get an 8 year DL

AZ Driver's Licenses expire when you turn 60 and are cheap. I think I paid the same amount that I did to get my NYS driver's license renewed which I think used to be only five years but it sounds like it is eight now. What I don't know is what will happen in the six months to a year it takes to remove conditions on the green card. I would think they will only renew her ID (or hopefully at that point driver's license) for a year and then we will have to renew again once she has a 10 year green card.

AZ Driver's Licenses expire when you turn 60 and are cheap. I think I paid the same amount that I did to get my NYS driver's license renewed which I think used to be only five years but it sounds like it is eight now. What I don't know is what will happen in the six months to a year it takes to remove conditions on the green card. I would think they will only renew her ID (or hopefully at that point driver's license) for a year and then we will have to renew again once she has a 10 year green card.

I think if you file the I-751 early as in within the 90 days prior to 2 year expire, you should be able to apply for new DL using the 1 year extension letter, and then renew later using the 10 year card.

I think if you file the I-751 early as in within the 90 days prior to 2 year expire, you should be able to apply for new DL using the 1 year extension letter, and then renew later using the 10 year card.

Dan I agree but that means my wife will have to renew her license two more times than I will ever have to and every 10 years after sans citizenship.

I briefly spoke with a close friend, Mary, who is very tuned-in to these women. She tells me that they do get a driver license (now that I read the Calif. law that Carl posts, I will need to look into this further). All I know is I see them buy and driving cars when I know their immigration status. In fact, I know one woman who is currently going to driving school so that she can get a driver license and buy a car. This woman has overstayed now ~3month and she knew right off that she'd need to have a car to work, live and survive in LA.

They pay cash for their autos. There's no legal residence requirement to attend school, heck we all know about that. If they can put 50%, they can buy a home without having proof of legal status, Mary tells me.

Mary says what often happens is, after overstaying a year (don't know why or if one year is important) many of these women will hire a lawyer to plead a case of asylum in immigration court. When I met my wife, she was an asylee. She and her son gained asylum after her American born husband died 8 months after their arrival here. I never learned what they pleaded or how they were granted asylum. I always guessed that it was out of kindness of the immigration court. Anyway, Mary said that's what she's seeing. She believes the courts are pretty liberal about granting asylum.

I will add more when as I learn.

Bingo... overstay agenda leads to asylum filing... This is a canned approach.

The topic is overstay issues...

I was right, the federal law which all states had to come into compliance with by last May states...

Originally intended as a counterterrorism tool, REAL ID has had an unintended side effect that has won support of immigration enforcement advocates -- it requires driver's licenses issued to immigrants to expire at the same time as their stay in the U.S., invalidating the licenses of immigrants who overstay their visas.

Read more:

http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1l11wBnuu

It may be Dennis that while their cases for asylum are pending they have some legal presence status for being here. If they are here with no legal presence though they can no longer get a driver's license in any of the 50 states.

I was right, the federal law which all states had to come into compliance with by last May states...

Originally intended as a counterterrorism tool, REAL ID has had an unintended side effect that has won support of immigration enforcement advocates -- it requires driver's licenses issued to immigrants to expire at the same time as their stay in the U.S., invalidating the licenses of immigrants who overstay their visas.

Read more:

http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1l11wBnuu

It may be Dennis that while their cases for asylum are pending they have some legal presence status for being here. If they are here with no legal presence though they can no longer get a driver's license in any of the 50 states.

Now I wonder if so many drive on expired licenses. And, I still don't understand why one woman I know, who is currently out of status, why would she be taking driving lessons? Curious...

Now I wonder if so many drive on expired licenses. And, I still don't understand why one woman I know, who is currently out of status, why would she be taking driving lessons? Curious...

In the state of NY in order to take driving lessons would need a valid learner's permit, which like a license requires evidence of legal presence. Permit has the same requirements as a license, the permit is a legal photo ID.

In the state of NY in order to take driving lessons would need a valid learner's permit, which like a license requires evidence of legal presence. Permit has the same requirements as a license, the permit is a legal photo ID.

Probably the law here too. These Chinese don't get drivers lessons from a licensed school, but from another Chinese who has a "business" teaching other Chinese how to drive.

Additionally, as you can imagine, following the letter of the law isn't much concern to many Chinese who overstay.

And, playing stupid is common practice.

So, an officer pulls them over and asks for a driver license. The instructor explains to the police how he's teaching his friend how to drive and how he wasn't aware of a learners permit. Police will often let them go with a warning (just a guess, no facts to back that up).

Edited by DennisLeiqin (see edit history)

Probably the law here too. These Chinese don't get drivers lessons from a licensed school, but from another Chinese who has a "business" teaching other Chinese how to drive.

Or from their STUUUPIDDD husband... I lived this nightmare...

What do you know about these women getting an International Driver License while here? Is the law different than just getting a normal license that will expire when their visa or GC does?

I was told that many women get an US international driver license while here.

Sorry, I'm too lazy and tired to search for an answer.

I don't think it would work Dennis. In order to get an IDL you must first have a valid driver's license from your home country and second come from a country that was signatory to the 1968 Vienna convention on road traffic. China is not signatory. The same applies for us when we visit China. To drive there we would have to get a Chinese Driver's license.

I don't think it would work Dennis. In order to get an IDL you must first have a valid driver's license from your home country and second come from a country that was signatory to the 1968 Vienna convention on road traffic. China is not signatory. The same applies for us when we visit China. To drive there we would have to get a Chinese Driver's license.

Makes sense, not to mention that it's the law. :) Rather confusing as to why my friend in the know would tell me that's the reason they're driving with a license.

... unless they're Korean, Japanese ... ? Naw.

May take a while to find out, but I am going to keep digging...

The International Driver's License is simply a translation of the foreign driver's license, and can be used in the United States. Google it and you'll find several sites you can order one from. BUT - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt108.shtm

The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.

Maybe an Internet version is good enough to get through a pull-over.