About Chinese women who have overstayed...

DennisLeiqin

Hunted down like dogs? What do you have to back that up? I have yet to see any Chinese being deported. Period. Yes, there are deportation buses to Mexico. Are there deportatin plane flights to China? No, there are not. Like it or not, these Chinese women know that once they are here they can stay without impunity. IMO the problem is not the enforcement of those who overstay, but at the front end of allowing those who fit a certain profile to gain a visa in the first place.

Read my timeline, Dennis. Sorry if you don't see these things, but some of us do.

Yes, you can overstay a visa, NOT apply for AOS or ANYTHING ELSE and fall through the cracks (like perhaps most people do), but if your paperwork falls on the wrong person's desk at the wrong time - well, maybe you can ignore THOSE orders, too.

Then again, there ARE people that they DO go after. I was on a "deportation flight" with one of them, as I've stated before.

It's unclear what your reticence is - you seem to be aware of immigration court. There are undergrounds, middle grounds, and plenty of people who are completely above board.

I am not saying that deportation does not exist for Chinese. However, I am saying that in my 7 years here living among and knowing many Chinese who are undocumented they live life relatively free of reprisal and fear of deportation. I have yet to meet one who has either been given notice of deportation nor been deported. What does that say?

It says you haven't met Jiaying's son.

Yes, there ARE plenty of illegals in the U.S. - there are also deportations to just about every country that people have immigrated from, including China.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be Dennis that where you are, in the middle of one of the largest Chinese communities in the USA they blend into the background better and don't catch attention. I have heard of some cases here in Portland where they have been prosecuted. There was an under age Chinese girl here about 10 years ago who was kept in the city jail for weeks even though she had political asylum while the then INS decided what to do with her. It wasn't until the Oregonian newspaper did a series of articles about her that they finally got her out of a cell and into the home of a Chinese speaker while they decided her case. The poor thing cried endlessly. It was truly heart breaking.

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article/101340/The-Oregonian-Investigates-Mistreatment-of-Foreigners.aspx

Earlier, Julie Sullivan had exposed the plight of a Chinese girl held by the INS in a county jail for weeks after gaining political asylum. Jailers referred to the 15 year old, held with five other Chinese teenagers, as “the girl who cries.”

It may be Dennis that where you are, in the middle of one of the largest Chinese communities in the USA they blend into the background better and don't catch attention. I have heard of some cases here in Portland where they have been prosecuted. There was an under age Chinese girl here about 10 years ago who was kept in the city jail for weeks even though she had political asylum while the then INS decided what to do with her. It wasn't until the Oregonian newspaper did a series of articles about her that they finally got her out of a cell and into the home of a Chinese speaker while they decided her case. The poor thing cried endlessly. It was truly heart breaking.

http://www.nieman.ha...Foreigners.aspx

Earlier, Julie Sullivan had exposed the plight of a Chinese girl held by the INS in a county jail for weeks after gaining political asylum. Jailers referred to the 15 year old, held with five other Chinese teenagers, as “the girl who cries.”

That is probably true, Carl. I can only speak of and have posted from my experience living here in LA. Maybe, ICE has concentrated on the easy pickens. Don't know. My post wasn't meant to debate whether or not ICE enforces deportation, but to simply give a slice of my perspective of how I see those who overstay here in my world. Guess, some enjoy making more out of it than what you and I find necessary. :lol:

I think there are many valid points being made from all the sides... I don't think Dennis is dismissing the easy pickens; that was Carl's point and I think I agree with that point; some areas are easier to hide in and others they stand out much more visibly... that is an easy explanation for why they go to NY or LA, etc. And Dennis's point is not that people don't know about overstay but they may not really understand the ease with which they can overstay; it is almost a non-issue for them. I have many of the same conclusions based on living among chinese in the US.

I think there are many valid points being made from all the sides... I don't think Dennis is dismissing the easy pickens; that was Carl's point and I think I agree with that point; some areas are easier to hide in and others they stand out much more visibly... that is an easy explanation for why they go to NY or LA, etc. And Dennis's point is not that people don't know about overstay but they may not really understand the ease with which they can overstay; it is almost a non-issue for them. I have many of the same conclusions based on living among chinese in the US.

Also, that the USCIS goes after those whose paperwork is on their desk - USCIS is NOT an enforcement arm, but must go through the Immigration Courts and ICE

But, yes - the major point is is that immigration court is a completely different ball game - one that has jurisdiction over and can ORDER the USCIS to do things that would normally be outside the realm of their interpretation of the law.

I know almost nothing about the underground illegal culture. To me, the different perspectives are interesting and useful, even when in contradiction.

I take it as a given that there is an element of the blind men and the elephant going on, but all comments are still taken for what they a worth....which is still quite a bit to an ignorant person like me

ICE deports persons of all nationalities. ICE has limited funds to round up all the illegals who have landed here and are living on US soil. It's no secret that citizens of other countries know this: that there is little chance of their being deported once here. It's a joke to pretend that ICE enforces deportation of these illegals.

The US immigration has continued to allow thirty-something Chinese women to get tourist visas. I don't understand why they continue to ingore their profile and of their potential to overstay. As I stated in my OP, I meet these women almost weekly.

There are 11.2 million illegals here in the US. Stop pretending that ICE has a handle on deportations and that there are continious 24/7 deportation flights to China. There aren't and these women who seek a life here know it too. Heck, people of the world know it.

Once here, they stay here. They can start a business, drive a car, own a home...and they live here without fear of immigration reprisal. I just don't understand why some here in this forum continue to insist that there's something different than this reality.

I have always maintained that if the govt. was serious about doing something about illegal immigration they would shift their focus from the aliens themselves and go after the people who hire them. If the penalty were so severe that hiring them would no longer be worth the risk then there would be no jobs. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they will go home. This goes beyond just farmers and businesses. They also need to go after the people who hire day laborers and nannies.

ICE deports persons of all nationalities. ICE has limited funds to round up all the illegals who have landed here and are living on US soil. It's no secret that citizens of other countries know this: that there is little chance of their being deported once here. It's a joke to pretend that ICE enforces deportation of these illegals.

The US immigration has continued to allow thirty-something Chinese women to get tourist visas. I don't understand why they continue to ingore their profile and of their potential to overstay. As I stated in my OP, I meet these women almost weekly.

There are 11.2 million illegals here in the US. Stop pretending that ICE has a handle on deportations and that there are continious 24/7 deportation flights to China. There aren't and these women who seek a life here know it too. Heck, people of the world know it.

Once here, they stay here. They can start a business, drive a car, own a home...and they live here without fear of immigration reprisal. I just don't understand why some here in this forum continue to insist that there's something different than this reality.

Stop trying to disagree when there's nothing to disagree about. ICE does (occasionally) do deportations, including on airplanes.

We ALL know about illegal aliens.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Stop trying to disagree when there's nothing to disagree about. ICE does (occasionally) do deportations, including on airplanes.

Huh? Sorry, I don't understand what your point is. :unsure:

Dennis, please refer back to the original topic.

Ahhh, sorry, still don't know what you are talking about nor what your point is....did I disagree with something?

Did anyone "pretending that ICE has a handle on deportations and that there are continious 24/7 deportation flights to China"?

Did someone "here in this forum continue to insist that there's something different than this reality"?

I'd be happy to hear you say that you weren't referring to me.

I have always maintained that if the govt. was serious about doing something about illegal immigration they would shift their focus from the aliens themselves and go after the people who hire them. If the penalty were so severe that hiring them would no longer be worth the risk then there would be no jobs. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they will go home. This goes beyond just farmers and businesses. They also need to go after the people who hire day laborers and nannies.

I think the problem is that it is federal immigration law and the States are not really allowed to enforcement it. And the government is in no position to get it the existing illegals here under any kind of control... they stand to better deal with the way legal means are used to get in... but profiling is another can of worm for legal action.

What we don't hear much about but occurs is those who illegally buy a visa to gain entry. I have meet some like this, not sure if Dennis has. But we're back to how to deal with the legal means and where it is broken.

One idea that I heard about allowing them to come forward and they will get deported and then can later file for entry like anyone else is simply out of touch with reality... there would be very little reason to do that when they can just stay.