Mandarin Speaking Physician in Phoenix (preferably SouthEast Valley)

Beachey

It is that time of year when I have to choose my medical plan for next year. I have been on an expat plan for the last two years but by January my wife and I will be back in the Valley of the Sun.

My specific question is on a doctor for my wife as I have doctors in AZ that I am very happy with and my wife could potentially use.

Does anyone know of a Mandarin speaking Primary Care Doctor that they might recommend in Phoenix, preferably the SouthEast Valley. An OB/GYN would be preferred but someone in a Family type practice might work as well.

If you wish to PM me the info or post here, either works.

It is that time of year when I have to choose my medical plan for next year. I have been on an expat plan for the last two years but by January my wife and I will be back in the Valley of the Sun.

My specific question is on a doctor for my wife as I have doctors in AZ that I am very happy with and my wife could potentially use.

Does anyone know of a Mandarin speaking Primary Care Doctor that they might recommend in Phoenix, preferably the SouthEast Valley. An OB/GYN would be preferred but someone in a Family type practice might work as well.

If you wish to PM me the info or post here, either works.

my wife works for a place called chinese doctors they are on osborne and miller in scottsdale they do chinese medicine acupuncture massage globe treatments and eastern medicine. Their number is 480-429-8882 website is http://www.chinesedrs.com/

Edited by dnoblett
added hyperlink (see edit history)

There are a number of Chinese speaking MD's in the SEV of the Phoneix Metro, get the local Chinese Newspapers, ususally at the local supermarkets and free. Chandler Regional has a few, the one I used is Dr. Wu, with the size of the Asian Pop. here it should be hard to find what you two need.

Another option is to request an interpreter.

My insurance covers the cost of an interpreter. All the doctors on my insurance plan use them.

This way my wife gets medical treatment where ever she wants and still understanding what is going on.

She selected a new Primary Care Physician a little while back based on skill and recommendations, not language ability.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

My insurance covers the cost of an interpreter. All the doctors on my insurance plan use them.

This way my wife gets medical treatment where ever she wants and still understanding what is going on.

She selected a new Primary Care Physician a little while back based on skill and recommendations, not language ability.

That is good to know. My wife and I have access to western doctors here in China. She has been to see them a few times and her oral English is very good so she can talk to the doctor. I have always been in the room (by her choice) and I have been able to ask the doctor to clarify when he is using a word or phrase I know she doesn't understand.

There have been many discussions here about the differences between western and Chinese medicine, not suprisingly, my wife is not completely comfortable with western medicine. My hope is to find a Western doctor who she can talk to in Chinese which hopefully will make her more comfortable. I am not sure an interperter or even me is the same thing as a direct conversation.

That is good to know. My wife and I have access to western doctors here in China. She has been to see them a few times and her oral English is very good so she can talk to the doctor. I have always been in the room (by her choice) and I have been able to ask the doctor to clarify when he is using a word or phrase I know she doesn't understand.

There have been many discussions here about the differences between western and Chinese medicine, not suprisingly, my wife is not completely comfortable with western medicine. My hope is to find a Western doctor who she can talk to in Chinese which hopefully will make her more comfortable. I am not sure an interperter or even me is the same thing as a direct conversation.

This may or may not help, since we lived in Houston, but what we found was that it was easy to find Chinese-speaking doctors on our health plan, all fairly close by. But nurses or other assistants, even for those doctors, were invariably English-speaking only. She came back to China 2 or 3 months before me so she could go to the doctors here.