can i study nursing

Cassie

I heard some chinese girls who are in america now are studying nursing.So I was wondering if I can do that too!?But my husband kept saying that I can't because I am not good at English even american people can't do it!I. Am just going to waste money .And maybe I should get GED too.I don't really know about this.Now I still don't have idea what I want to study or have to study.But I wonder if he's right.I. still have one year to make up my mind,want to wait till I could be considered as "in-state"tuition and learn English first as well.

I heard some chinese girls who are in america now are studying nursing.So I was wondering if I can do that too!?But my husband kept saying that I can't because I am not good at English even american people can't do it!I. Am just going to waste money .And maybe I should get GED too.I don't really know about this.Now I still don't have idea what I want to study or have to study.But I wonder if he's right.I. still have one year to make up my mind,want to wait till I could be considered as "in-state"tuition and learn English first as well.

Cassie, improving your english will certainly further your chances for any endeavor that you choose to take here in America. Nursing is not for everyone it can be challenging but also rewarding. Any job in the medical industry today seems to be in high demand so there is a good opportunity for you in this field. I believe in most states it will take you about 2 years to become a Registered Nurse.

I have a very good friend that has been a RN for over 30 years and works in the operating room now. She works 96 hour shifts and can sleep on the job when there is no one that needs surgery. There are times that she does not get much sleep during that 96 hours too. She makes a very good salary. There are more folks here that have wives in the medical field that can tell you more than I can.

Larry

The first few classes my wife took at my college were ESL classes, she has since taken many classes working toward a certificate for Medical Office Assistant.

So yes you can work on getting a nursing degree, check with the local nursing college, more than likely the community college offer programs in nursing.

Also check with them about what the accept for educational certifications from China, more than likely you will not need a GED.

One warning considering your shortness in the USA and state as to residency requirement and tuition they may charge non resident rates until you are considered to be a resident of the state, some states consider living in the state longer than 6 months to be a resident, however this may require having a green-card too.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Yeah thats why I want to wait for a year to be considered as "in-state" tuition.Well the thing I was concerned about is if I can study it.Did

ur wife said its hard to study????? My husband said if its too hard for me and then u will give up..waste time and money!!!I have no idea how hard it

it is .

Yeah thats why I want to wait for a year to be considered as "in-state" tuition.Well the thing I was concerned about is if I can study it.Did

ur wife said its hard to study????? My husband said if its too hard for me and then u will give up..waste time and money!!!I have no idea how hard it

it is .

Not too hard for her, she has a B+ average so far if we exclude the drawing class she did not like and failed to tell me in time for me to get her withdrawn so the teacher hit her with an F which is hurting her GPA, I am insisting she retake the class with a different teacher to get that F removed from her record.

She uses the typical Chinese method of study, (Read, Read, Read.....) You know the drill, study by memorization.

I work with her when she writes papers, she writes them, and I review them pointing out grammar problems, and obvious "Chinglish" :lol: .

And NO!! Not too hard, and NOT a waste of money.

classes you need to obtain a 2 year nursing degree in BMCC located in new york city, http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/health/nursing/req_NUR.html. you can continue to a 4 year degree after the 2 year degree. here is another link for city tech college, http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/academics/deptsites/nursing/index.shtml, they have 2 and 4 year degrees. i dont see nursing is hard, just alot of big vocabulary and medical terminology where english plays a very important role in understanding the art of nursing. i told my wife that english is very important in america if you want to do anything in america, and that is reading and writing. good luck.

My daughter is studying to be a nurse it is not easy, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I say just start reading english and reading more... anything to build your vocabulary and reading skills. In my opinion, that is the biggest part of learning, reading.

Good luck,,, one can do whatever they want... just work hard.

Education is never a waste of money. It is also a good idea to have a profession you can fall back on in case anything ever happens to your husband. Nursing is a good career. An RN fresh out of college can start at $19.00-$25.00 an hour. An experienced RN can make $45.00 an hour. More if they have a specialty. It's also a profession that is always in demand and pretty much recession proof. People still get sick even if the economy is bad. If you are serious about this and want it bad enough you can do it. I say shame on your husband for trying to discourage you.

I didnt really want to post on this because I wanted to see how this thread would turn out without my input. However, since I have been scrutinized for my actions in a lost in translation kind of manner. I shall clarify the matter at hand.

First, college is not a waste of money, unless you get a degree in underwater basket weaving. Some of you may know (or not know) I am a full time student studying occupational therapy. Some of the classes are challenging and others not so much. Like most of you said, it is all about comprehension. She needs to expand her knowledge vastly before she can undertake a course of study such as nursing. Its not just about reading as well, you need to be able to follow instructions in ENGLISH. She is a very smart girl, and if this was china and everyone spoke mandarin,"I would tell her do your best honey!"

However, this is not china and mostly everyone speaks english. I just think that since she is a FOB(Fresh of the boat) jumping into a course of study such as nursing would be a hurdle for her. If anything, I wouldnt mind her taking some core general ed classes and see how she does. If she gets A's with little to no effort, than sure, enroll into a nursing program. If she struggling to get a C in General Psychology, than we might want to reconsider her options. Once again I am not discouraging, just laying it down the way it is.

Imagine turning the tables, and I was able to speak middle school level mandarin and I told her I want to study to be a doctor in china. She would probably tell me the same thing, I would need to be able to speak/read/write mandarin at a fluent level.

I just wanted to add, I do want her to go to college here in the states and get atleast a A.S degree in something!

Edited by Amaro (see edit history)

Hello Cassie, without knowing how good of a student you are, it is rather hard to say that you can or can not succeed in a nursing program. You will have to know English, Can you learn English? I am sure you can. Did you finish high school in China? Did you take any college in China? How well did you do in school in China? Are you and can you be a serious student? These are questions that you need to answer.

There are many ESL programs in the US. There are not are created equally. An ESL program at a college will probably help determine how well your English is. I am sure they will also be able to help determine your English capabilties before and after taking their ESL Program.

As for studying to be a nurse there were several different avenues that could be taken. One can study to be a nurse aid ( a nurse's helper), or a LPN or as RN or a BSN. I am sure that there are study programs that are associated with a masters degree also. Years ago there were nursing programs that were associated with hospitals ( probably teaching hospitals).

Like Amaro says English comprehension is very important. I am not sure if a General Psychology is the best course to help deteremine how well one would do in a nursing program. Occupational Therapy and nursing are both in the health care fields but I believe that different directions of the course of study are followed. Courses such as math, Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology are the ones that would help test one's ability. I do believe that memorization is a very important facet in naviagating these classes. From what I hear the Chinese schools rely on memorization a fair amount. If possible I would try to met some Chinese women who have already studied nursing in the USA. They have probably give you a good overall view of being a nurse in the USA. I wish you luck. Danb

Hello Cassie, without knowing how good of a student you are, it is rather hard to say that you can or can not succeed in a nursing program. You will have to know English, Can you learn English? I am sure you can. Did you finish high school in China? Did you take any college in China? How well did you do in school in China? Are you and can you be a serious student? These are questions that you need to answer.

There are many ESL programs in the US. There are not are created equally. An ESL program at a college will probably help determine how well your English is. I am sure they will also be able to help determine your English capabilties before and after taking their ESL Program.

As for studying to be a nurse there were several different avenues that could be taken. One can study to be a nurse aid ( a nurse's helper), or a LPN or as RN or a BSN. I am sure that there are study programs that are associated with a masters degree also. Years ago there were nursing programs that were associated with hospitals ( probably teaching hospitals).

Like Amaro says English comprehension is very important. I am not sure if a General Psychology is the best course to help deteremine how well one would do in a nursing program. Occupational Therapy and nursing are both in the health care fields but I believe that different directions of the course of study are followed. Courses such as math, Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy and Physiology are the ones that would help test one's ability. I do believe that memorization is a very important facet in naviagating these classes. From what I hear the Chinese schools rely on memorization a fair amount. If possible I would try to met some Chinese women who have already studied nursing in the USA. They have probably give you a good overall view of being a nurse in the USA. I wish you luck. Danb

Thans a lot,I still have one year to think about this.I am just a little bit scared to take this step to go to college again.And I am going to study English first for one year.

I am a full time nursing student, one more semester to go to get my A.S. degree.

It is hard, first year half of my class got kicked out of PN program. I was one of them, got kicked out just 4 weeks after school started. One of the glasses I didn't get 80%. I got 78%.

Then next year I cam back, finished my PN program, everything A, and got my LPN license.Now I work as LPN part time in a nursing home.

This semester is Rn program, 13 classmates got kicked out of program before Christmas.Most of them got kicked out because of a 1 credit class- pathophysiology! So it is not easy. But if you try your best you can make it, this semester I got 2 A-, the rest of classes are As.Just need hard work and good understanding.

Every nursing school requires diffrent, some require 76%, 78%, some as my school requires 80%. For enroll the program, diffrent school also has diffrent requirement. So you need connect with the school you plan to go then prepare for that.

For me, I did GED, also translated all my Chinese degrees and transcriptions to school, passed the entrance test for school, and entrance test for nursing, the results are important for enroll in nursing program.

So it is a lot of work to do. Most of my classmates also study chamistry and math for 1 year.and study 12 college credits before nursing program. Also for that 12 college credits, it reqired GPA. the better the better chance. Then I took english, computer, anotomy and physiology, and psychology before my nursing program start.So totally it will take me 3 years to finish A.S. degree. But if you never get kick out, it only takes 2 years once you start your program.But before the program start, it seems take forever to prepare for it, one of my classmate she has master's degree in Russia, but it took her 6 years to get enroll in my program. She studied english, nutration, microbiology ect.Thanks GOD she will graduate with me in the coming May.Good for her!

The waiting list if diffrent too, some shcool need wait 2-3 years after you get everything ready.Usually university 's waiting list is shorter than community college, because the tuation if much higher.

I hope I don't scare you, I am 40 years old this year, if I can make it, you can too.

Edited by mama bear (see edit history)

I am a full time nursing student, one more semester to go to get my A.S. degree.

It is hard, first year half of my class got kicked out of PN program. I was one of them, got kicked out just 4 weeks after school started. One of the glasses I didn't get 80%. I got 78%.

Then next year I cam back, finished my PN program, everything A, and got my LPN license.Now I work as LPN part time in a nursing home.

This semester is Rn program, 13 classmates got kicked out of program before Christmas.Most of them got kicked out because of a 1 credit class- pathophysiology! So it is not easy. But if you try your best you can make it, this semester I got 2 A-, the rest of classes are As.Just need hard work and good understanding.

Every nursing school requires diffrent, some require 76%, 78%, some as my school requires 80%. For enroll the program, diffrent school also has diffrent requirement. So you need connect with the school you plan to go then prepare for that.

For me, I did GED, also translated all my Chinese degrees and transcriptions to school, passed the entrance test for school, and entrance test for nursing, the results are important for enroll in nursing program.

So it is a lot of work to do. Most of my classmates also study chamistry and math for 1 year.and study 12 college credits before nursing program. Also for that 12 college credits, it reqired GPA. the better the better chance. Then I took english, computer, anotomy and physiology, and psychology before my nursing program start.So totally it will take me 3 years to finish A.S. degree. But if you never get kick out, it only takes 2 years once you start your program.But before the program start, it seems take forever to prepare for it, one of my classmate she has master's degree in Russia, but it took her 6 years to get enroll in my program. She studied english, nutration, microbiology ect.Thanks GOD she will graduate with me in the coming May.Good for her!

The waiting list if diffrent too, some shcool need wait 2-3 years after you get everything ready.Usually university 's waiting list is shorter than community college, because the tuation if much higher.

I hope I don't scare you, I am 40 years old this year, if I can make it, you can too.

I am very happy for you, Mama Bear!