Japan-China Relations

Since this was a "hot topic" last spring, I thought I'd post this....from CNN.COM
Chinadave

Koizumi shrine visit reopens wound
Thursday, January 1, 2004 Posted: 3:59 AM EST (0859 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan -- Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has again risked upsetting neighbors China and the Koreas by paying a surprise New Year's visit to a controversial war shrine honoring the country's war dead.

Koizumi made the visit to the Yasukuni Shrine Thursday, his fourth such visit since coming to power.

Each earlier visit has drawn condemnation and protests from Japan's neighbors who still hold bitter memories of Japanese wartime atrocities and feel Tokyo has yet to fully atone for its militaristic past.

The Yasukuni Shrine honors about 2.5 million Japanese war dead since 1853, including convicted criminals such as World War II-era prime minister Hideki Tojo.

Koizumi arrived at the shrine amid a crowd of New Year's revelers -- his first visit to the shrine on New Year's Day.

Dressed in the long pleated trousers of a traditional, formal Japanese costume, a solemn Koizumi climbed the steps of Yasukuni shrine led by a white-robed Shinto priest.

Koizumi said he had decided on the visit to pray for peace.

"I went with various feelings, including wishes for Japan's peace and prosperity," Koizumi told reporters after his visit..

"Japan does not rest solely upon the efforts of people living now ... Japan stands upon the sacrifices of others in the past."

Asked if he worried about the response from China and North Korea, wartime victims of Japanese aggression, the prime minister replied: "One does not comment about another country's respect of its history, traditions or customs," Reuters reported.

The visit comes at a tense diplomatic time for Japan ahead of an expected second round of six-party talks over North Korea's nuclear program and the imminent deployment of combat troops to Iraq.

North Korea is objecting to Japan's presence at the talks but the United States is holding firm, insisting Japan take a place at the table.

Huang Xingyuan, spokesman of the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo, was quoted as expressing strong dissatisfaction over Koizumi's visit.

According to China's Xinhua news agency, Huang urged Japan to stop activities that could harm "the feelings of the Chinese people" as well as Sino-Japanese relations.

Japan has also upset China recently over the behavior of a group of 400 businessmen who organized an orgy involving 500 Chinese prostitutes at a five-star hotel in the coastal city of Zhuhai in Guangdong province in September.

The orgy sparked fury in China as the incident ended on September 18 -- the 72nd anniversary of the start of Japan's occupation of China's northeast. Several Chinese have been jailed for their role in the sex party, including two for life. (Full story)

Another recent bone of contention has been the discovery of 770 barrels of chemical weapons left by Japan in China after World War II.

One person died and 42 were injured in August after barrels of abandoned Japanese mustard gas were accidentally dug up at a construction site in Qiqihar and began leaking.

Japan has begun making compensation payments for injuries and death caused by the chemicals, but resentment still lingers.

Very interesting story. Being somewhat of a Japanese history buff. I can see both sides of the issue. The Japanese probably have a closer tie to their ancestors because of the native Shinto religion. I have read a few books on Shinto and still don't grasp it. One of those things you have to be Japanese to understand I suppose. Regardless thier ancestors are very important to them and to tell them not to honor their customs could be taken as an insult and loss of face. Add to that the war has been over for nearly 60 years one could make an arguement that it's beating a dead horse. Japan is no longer a threat to it's neighbors. On the other hand Japan has had a hard time admitting their wrongs. It wasn't until late 80s or early 90s that they finally admitted conscribing Chinese and Korean women as "comfort women" to service the sexual appetite of the occupying Japanese soldiers. I can also appreciate the Chinese outrage at the orgy at the hotel last September. I doubt that it was sponsored by the Japanese Government though and they aren't alone in exploiting Asian women as sex objects. Sex tours of Thailand are very popular in many countries. Perhaps if Japan would come clean and admit to the wrongs of thier past they could smooth over a lot of feathers. Of course this would require a major loss of face which is every bit as important to the Japanese as it is the Chinese. Kind of a catch 22.

It is a dangerous situation and one day may blow up. If you do a survey of young Chinese males, you would find more would support a war against Japan today than against Taiwan. The same may be true for Japanese. I would not be surprised that the majority of Japanese view what the Japanese did back then justifiable. With the US-Japan defense treaty in place, nothing will happen. In 30 years? God knows. China may be too strong to take the U.S.-Japan treaty seriously or U.S. may find Japan not worth defending. Japan's very existence had always been a threat to China since hundreds of years ago when the Japanese pirates plagued the costal areas of China.

It is a dangerous situation and one day may blow up.  If you do a survey of young Chinese males, you would find more would support a war against Japan today than against Taiwan.  The same may be true for Japanese.  I would not be surprised that the majority of Japanese view what the Japanese did back then justifiable.  With the US-Japan defense treaty in place, nothing will happen.  In 30 years?  God knows.  China may be too strong to take the U.S.-Japan treaty seriously or U.S. may find Japan not worth defending.  Japan's very existence had always been a threat to China since hundreds of years ago when the Japanese pirates plagued the costal areas of China.

I doubt the majority of young Japanese would support a war against anyone. Most I have talked to are pretty much pacifist. Thier constitution bans a military except for defense. Without the US they couldn't defend themselves against anyone. I always got the impression though that the majority of Japanese felt superior to the Chinese and Koreans. Come to think of it sounds kind of like the majority of US citizens too doesn't it. I am always hearing how great of a nation we are and how this is the best place in the world to live.

I am always hearing how great of a nation we are and how this is the best place in the world to live.

It was, but then something went wrong, when you can find out how to fix the wrongs you will have my vote as leader for life, our current leaders (both sides) are as useful as tits on a male hog.

• 3 weeks later...
I am always hearing how great of a nation we are and how this is the best place in the world to live.

It was, but then something went wrong, when you can find out how to fix the wrongs you will have my vote as leader for life, our current leaders (both sides) are as useful as tits on a male hog.

Then why are so many people trying to get here, instead of leave?

Funny...I find myself agreeing with both of you. I think our leaders are useless, yet I still prefer living here over anywhere else...strange. maybe USA is simply what it is regardless of the leadership....

• 4 weeks later...

I never clearly understood why the reason for the deep seated animosity the Chinese have against the Japanese. I knew that the Japanese military was pretty brutal towards the other races they invaded and conquered prior to WWII but I did not fully comprehend why.

I went to the book store to add to my ancient history collection and saw a book titled "The Rape Of Nanking" by Iris Chang.

I now understand.

It's old news and old history.  It happened 60 years ago. Who cares.

you may not, But I met a lot of Chinese who still harbor very deep feelings of anger towards the Japanese. In the Shan Dong Province, which was controlled by Japan for nearly 40 years, the Japanese committed many atrocities over a long period of time. They have not forgotten.

It's old news and old history.  It happened 60 years ago.   Who cares.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that and you are right, it is old news and old history, and it happend 60 years ago but there are many Chinese still alive who remember the atrocities and many more Chinese who parents have passed on the stories to them. It maybe a somewhat faded chapter in Chinese history to the younger generation coming up but there are still many Chinese who have been greatly affected by the atrocities either directly or indirectly and we should show some respect to them in that regard.

-just my 2 cents

The Rape of Nanking was just a little bit too much for me to stomach. I just can't take it.

I read the 'Trail of Tears', about the Cherokee Nation and that sickend me. I only got two chapters into 'I Buried my Heart at Wounded Knee' and had to put it down.

I can't believe that the man on our $20 dollar bill was such an Indian killer!

The Rape of Nanking was just a little bit too much for me to stomach. I just can't take it.

I read the 'Trail of Tears', about the Cherokee Nation and that sickend me. I only got two chapters into 'I Buried my Heart at Wounded Knee' and had to put it down.

I can't believe that the man on our $20 dollar bill was such an Indian killer!

It is important to remember these terrible times. Finish the book out of respect for the victims. They need to be remembered.

Quote: "Those who fail to remember history are bound to repeat it"

I agree one should never forget the past. That being said carrying a grudge doesn't do any favors either. In this countries early history a lot of attrocities were made. Guess what? the whole world was barbaric. Very few if any of the Japanese leaders who commited the war crimes are even alive today. The average citizen holds no goals toward taking China. Should Japan appologise? certainly thier govt. needs to acknowledge past mistakes. Should reparations be made? I don't know. Japan suffered greatly after two atomic bombs were dropped on it. Perhaps that is punishment enough. Remember saving face is important in Japan too. Rubbing their nose in it probably won't help.