Extended stay in China stories

Mike and Yan

For those of you who have been in China a long time and intend on being there for a while longer...I think you are doing whatever it takes to keep your China Visa, one way or another.

You have a wife or a job and can expect to continue to renew your visa easily, without return to the US. So you live in China and you have a valid US passport.

Can you tell me what you will do when the US passport expires?

BTW. . . . How many of CFL members are living in China? Do you intend on remaining? Anything helping your decision to remain or return to the US?

For those of you who have been in China a long time and intend on being there for a while longer...I think you are doing whatever it takes to keep your China Visa, one way or another.

You have a wife or a job and can expect to continue to renew your visa easily, without return to the US. So you live in China and you have a valid US passport.

BTW. . . . How many of CFL members are living in China? Do you intend on remaining? Anything helping your decision to remain or return to the US?

I can't answer the rest of your questions honestly but on the US passport expiration I am sure that you could get a new one issued at the US Embassy. I have never done this but have read about english teachers that have done that. Also works if you lose your US passport.

Larry

M & Y ~

Assuming you are going to continue to be a US citizen right? But if you are expecting to stay in China for the rest of your life, maybe you need to explore the social benefits (if any) you might receive by becoming a PRC citizen? ---that in itself, might be an interesting topic for the the long term expats here.

M & Y ~

Assuming you are going to continue to be a US citizen right? But if you are expecting to stay in China for the rest of your life, maybe you need to explore the social benefits (if any) you might receive by becoming a PRC citizen? ---that in itself, might be an interesting topic for the the long term expats here.

Interesting idea,

As a foreign devil, can I pay into the retirement fund in China, and then draw a retirement?

Renew it at the Embassy or Consulate.

Yep, thats what ACS is for.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/passport.html They will return your old expired passport to you along with the attached visas so that you will not have a problem exiting China.

Many simply make trips to Hong Kong or other neighboring countries to apply for new visas. No Chinese consulate in Guam or I would have suggested going there.

M & Y ~

Well that is a funny topic! I guess a social benifits is not the right to vote. However, does being a PRC citizen mean loosing the SS benifit? I've paid a lot of $$$ into that system and hope to get some return.

Edited by Mike and Yan (see edit history)

Topic's a bit old, but i thought i'd clear something up- Unless anyone here is a former Chinese citizen, and currently a US citizen (and even then all i've heard are rumors), "yea right" to the becoming a chinese citizen idea.

There is no immigration path for China.

Edited by moonandstar99 (see edit history)

I found out because I am married to a Chinese citizen, I can get a multiple entry 24 months sweetie visa from China embassy / consulate. Ain't that sweet? Actually, said sweetie is getting a 3 year sweetie visa to the E.U just cuz I'm also a European national.

Say what?? 2 year CHI visa and a 3 year E.U visa? I think I'm getting a raw deal here.

• 2 weeks later...

M & Y ~

Please describe this path to Chinese citizenship you speak of.

M & Y ~

Interesting idea,

As a foreign devil, can I pay into the retirement fund in China, and then draw a retirement?

No, not unless you have permanent residence.

I've read the posts about keeping your visa current, and it doesn't seem that difficult. My question about spending an extended time, perhaps living in China permantely? I have heard that there is no real health insurance availabe for most Chinese, and that it is more a pay up front for any medical issuses. I'm talking about major things such as operations,ie. heart, lung, kidney operations. I've heard that in some cases, the entire family has had to contribute their savings to help pay for a family member to get treatment, pretty much exhausting any sayings the family members had.

Is there some type of health insurance that a person can purchase? I'm thinking blue cross and blue shield is going to end for most who retire here in the states then move to another country, and I don't think Chinese hospitals accept medicare. There must be some company that offers health insurance to ex-pats. I realize that health care is not as good in some areas of China, but I would think in the major cities they would have decent health care, as many of the Doctors have gone to school in the US or European countries and returned to China to set up their medical practice.

Has any one experienced this or looked into health care if you move to another country?

Thanks,

Gary

• 9 months later...

I've been in China for 14 months now. Earlier this year in May I had to renew my passport. Conveniently, right at the same time my Chinese visa was up.

I took my old passport and my completely new and unused passport to an agency here in Beijing that helped me get my new F (business) visa. Extremely easy and painless.

At the time though I was worried if there would be some confusion in applying for the new visa. The lady at the American Embassy said it should not be a problem, as I was going to be applying for the new visa a couple days later.

IF, for example I had a few months or a year left on my current Chinese visa after I got a new passport, the lady said they will give me a slip of paper (I think it was blue?) and I take that to the visa processing center here in Beijing (right near the Llama Temple - a huge building with hundreds of foreigners in there each day), and tell them I want to get my old visa transferred to my new passport.

If anybody has any questions on this, please let me know.

• 9 months later...

I realize this topic is getting kind of old now but the process (for a UC citizen) of renewing your passport while in China isn't very complicated. I've been in China for almost 5 years and I just got a new passport a couple of months ago. A couple things you need to make sure you do beforehand: Make an appointment at the embassy (I went to Beijing) http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/passports.html, make sure you take the correct size of pictures with the correct background color, and expect to have to wait 1 or 2 weeks for your new passport. All of the details can be found on the embassy's website which I've posted a link to. I hope this helps.