in china, are navels removed after birth?

Hmmm, wish I hadn't missed this topic when it was fresh. We had navel issues with our little boy Sonny after his birth in China.

After his birth the family (Youyue's family) was very particular about this subject. "The navel MUST be kept covered for 3 months," they said. After the hospital bandages fell off a neighbor came in with special navel covering pads which he wore until his third month.

Me, the silly American, thought this was rather ridiculous but I figured there was no harm done. When I said I didn't think it was necessary I was greeted with all kinds of warnings of terrible ailments he'd suffer if he didn't wear this thing. When I said no one in America does this, and they don't seem to have any unusual problems, they said this is because Americans and Chinese are different.

Later, after the three months passed, one of the local Chinese doctors commented on how good the boy's navel looked. They were, of course, very proud.

I'd be very curious to ask why this question came up in the first place.

Even in Japan a developed country with lots of science they say you should cover your belly button to help prevent catching cold. We are not without superstition in this country either. One only has to look at the billions spent on lucky numbers to see this. At least the belly button cover is harmless and I have had enough experience with Chinese medicine to know that it works. There may be something to it after all. How can you be sure? Are you a doctor?

Exactly! To belittle someone elses culture because it doesn't fit your own belief system is arrogant. The very same attitude that has a good portion of the world upset with the US. The attitude that we are so much better than any other country and everyone should speak our language. Since almost 1/4 of the worlds population is Chinese and they aren't all clammoring to come here means that a hell of a lot of them are perfectly content to be Chinese.

whatever that means!

Oh how glorious it must be to be asianwhitecouple/sanfranciscojoe/jadeyan who is oh so much smarter than everyone else in the world. I pity you Joe. Your arrogance is beyond belief. You must be truly unhappy to have such a negative outlook on the world. In all of your various identities you have never once posted anything positive on this site. Your thinly veiled insults and off line insults to me and others suggest that you are a mentally ill man in dire need of psychiatric help. Please get some.

"Don't go out in that rain without your coat and hat, You'll catch a cold"

Medical fact is, The only way to catch a cold is to be in contact with the germ that carries it.

Yes, but most of these folktales do contain some truth to them. You are correct, you cannot catch a cold just be going out into the rain without your coat and hat, however, you can lower your resistance to catching a cold by being cold and wet if and when you come into contact with that germ. With regards to the navel issue, who knows, and more importantly, who cares? If they want to believe that, let them, it doesn't bother me at all. If my wife becomes pregnant, and wants to cover the navel on our child for 3 months, why would I care? If it makes her happy, I'm happy! She is always telling me that this vegetable or this fish is good for some part of my body (have you ever noticed, however, that the worse it tastes, the better it is for you? :D ), and who am I to dismiss her beliefs? And personal experience has shown me on several occasions that the Chinese herbs she has bought to cure a variety of ailments do work, and are usually a lot safer to take than some of these so-called "scientific" products on the market today. I would fear the day that I could be so arrogant as to dismiss over 5000 years of Chinese medicinal history, and believe that we in America have all of the answers!

I don't know where the belly button goes to inside the body but I am sure if something was to enter the body through the belly button it would have easy access to a lot of organs and in something a frail as an infant I don't think I would argue about covering it, I would imagine this started due to children getting sick due to exposed cords way back when, which started the covering of them up, so maybe it was based off fact and extended due to fear.

just a few thoughts