workplace discrimination/Harassment

NUWORLD

One thing that will come up is the question . Have any other coworkers heard this discrimination to back up this claim . In situations like this they want a witness. If the ability to understand english is in question then that will be used as an out in handling this case without a witness. A timeline will be needed also. On x date and time this occured. We talked to a supervisor on this date and brought forth these facts.

Sorry i have not been around much but my wife has been having some workplace problems.

This has been going on for about the past year.

Both my wife and i work at the same place.

There is one employie that works in the same department as my wife.

Everyday and just about any time this person gets within ear shot disstance of my wife she is always calling her names and telling my wife to go back to china.

My wife has told her supervisor about this but he always says it's not his problem and to get back to work.

She even went to the plant manager and told him.

He said he would look into it.

Nothing never got solved there.

By now I'm getting really pissed off at our company because they are not doing anything about this problem.

My wife wants to put her foot upside the persons head and beat the shit out of her.

I told her NOT!!! to do this.

About two months ago we had the company VP come out to our house and we had a translator there to explain everything to the VP.

Once again, Nothing happened.

Yesterday my wife tells me she does not want to work here anymore because she thinks the company does take care of her only the spanish people get taken care of.

I have started to do some research about this issue.

Does anyone know what options we have and how to go about it.

I have tried to fine a Chinese speaking lawyer here in Ohio but so far no luck.

Thanks everyone for all the advise.

I have been reading all these post from work today but did not want to reply from my work computer.

We have key stoke loggers and they monitor all web trafic.

We are at home now.

I will try to answer all your questions.

When you/your wife complained to the VP or the Plant manager do you have that in writing?

NO! we have nothing in writing, Only because when my wife talked to her supervisor and then later the VP we though this would have been taken care of.

We never though it would have gone this far.

I wouldn't go to a supervisor about this. That's what the HR department is for

This was done awhile back,They said go back and talk to her supervisor, It was his problem.

Mike, I would do what the others have said AND put a call into Homeland Security, I'd be willing to bet that with that many Spanish speaking employees, some of them are illegal immigrants, it's not just in Texas and Cali that they run to, just a thought.

Mike62356: How hay doing buddy? I think this is going to be one of our next steps.

Just to give everyone an idea of the percentage of employees at our work not including office people.

6% is black.

3% is white.

1% Is chinese.

90% is spanish.

This is on the first shift.

On the second shift.

100% Spanish.

Have you talked to the person that is saying bad things to your wife? Perhaps a little "encouragement" wink.gif for this person from yourself might just take care of things.

Charles: Long time no talk, I'll call ya this weekend.

But to answer your question.

I even have a problem with this one person as do others.

For some reason our company will always back her up.

My type of encouragement would land me in jail.

is this a union place? you may need a shop steward when you talk to that person.

This is not a union shop.

And also, Hey NUWORLD! Get that guy canned. That's just plain inappropriate. I don't know about legal action because of possible backlash on your respective incomes, but HR action would be a definite way to go.

Jeez. In the 21st century? People still think this way???

Do you think it is racism or nationalism?

Yes i do think this is about racism or nationalism.

Only for the fact that the person giving my wife a hard time always says go back to CHINA!

One thing that will come up is the question . Have any other coworkers heard this discrimination to back up this claim . In situations like this they want a witness. If the ability to understand english is in question then that will be used as an out in handling this case without a witness. A timeline will be needed also. On x date and time this occured. We talked to a supervisor on this date and brought forth these facts.

Yes, there are many witnesses to this problem.

BUT!!!! when they are/where confronted by the company they seam to have forgotten everything and say no hubla english.

Now, let me bring everyone up to speed as what happened today.

The VP came up to my wife today and asked if she would like to transfer to a different department.

My wife said yes!!

So come this next Monday she will no long be working with this person.

Now on the other hand, I'm thinking this is still not fixing the problem.

It's all about cause and affect.

They are only fixing the affect not the cause

During our lunch hour today my wife tells me about this change.

I'm still not happy about this and I'm sure why the change came the way it did was because i threatened to call our lawyer.

The only thing that is hard about our lawyer is that he charges 200$ an hour and money is a bit tight at the moment.

Deep down in my hart, I think i will still call our lawyer and also call home land security and the ICE team.

We all know how long and hard it is to get a visa to come to the U.S. and to work.

I know good and well these Spanish people are not married to U.S. citizens and i know they are not here on a B2 visa.

So!! How do they get to work with no VISA????????????

Mike

have you ever seen the movie "crash" look at part where mexican looking usa policewoman talk to chinese woman. This movie alone told me about USA views Chinese

Americans do not look down on Chinese. We don't worry about Chinese power.

The truth is even worse than you Chinese think, Tangtui. The truth is, most Americans just don't think about you Chinese at all. Except for Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, most Americans don't know the name of even one Chinese city.

So don't worry about racism. It is really not very common.

If you come here, you are just another American. 10% of Americans are Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Philippino). Most Americans can't tell which country you came from. Most Americans wouldn't care where you are from even if they knew. So don't worry about racism and nationalism.

This is what you need to know about Americans:

We are not Koreans or Japanese. We do not always compete about who is more developed or who is richer.

We are all different. Maybe you can say, "Koreans think this about Chinese" or "Japanese think this about Koreans", but you can never say that about Americans. Each one of us is different and has different ideas.

We do not care so much about what the other person has or what they do. Each person measures himself against himself.

For most Americans, it does not make an American happy to see another person fail. It does make us happy to watch someone succeed.

Most of us are good people that want to help others and make friends. But we are very self-centered.

THIS ONE IS MOST IMPORTANT:

We live in a big country surrounded by water. Many Americans never go to other countries except Canada or Mexico. Most Americans do not understand foreign people's opinions because we never really meet foreign people. Even foreign people in America are basically Americans to us. Most Americans don't think about foreign country issues or people. Most of us do not know what foreign people do or think. This is not because of American pride. It is simply because we do not meet each other.

Please visit us and get to know us. You will find many good things and many bad things. You will find things you like and things you don't like. You will find things that are better in America. You will find things that are better in China.

But I don't think you will find racism.

Excellent post Minister!! ;) Especially the part in bold, is a very good trait among Americans. My wife has found this trait very interesting. :lol:

HR is the first line of defense and i found your HR is 100% useless. how can HR says it the supervisor's problem. i would take it outside of the company such as labor dept in your area. good luck.

Exactly George! If HR took this attitude than the company has some very big problems or some issues (look at your employment stats) that it wants to protect. You should take this issue to the fed. agencies and a lawyer but you should read up on "whistle blowers protection" and be prepared for fall-out -- JMHO.

have you ever seen the movie "crash" look at part where mexican looking usa policewoman talk to chinese woman. This movie alone told me about USA views Chinese

Americans do not look down on Chinese. We don't worry about Chinese power.

The truth is even worse than you Chinese think, Tangtui. The truth is, most Americans just don't think about you Chinese at all. Except for Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, most Americans don't know the name of even one Chinese city.

So don't worry about racism. It is really not very common.

If you come here, you are just another American. 10% of Americans are Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Philippino). Most Americans can't tell which country you came from. Most Americans wouldn't care where you are from even if they knew. So don't worry about racism and nationalism.

This is what you need to know about Americans:

We are not Koreans or Japanese. We do not always compete about who is more developed or who is richer.

We are all different. Maybe you can say, "Koreans think this about Chinese" or "Japanese think this about Koreans", but you can never say that about Americans. Each one of us is different and has different ideas.

We do not care so much about what the other person has or what they do. Each person measures himself against himself.

For most Americans, it does not make an American happy to see another person fail. It does make us happy to watch someone succeed.

Most of us are good people that want to help others and make friends. But we are very self-centered.

THIS ONE IS MOST IMPORTANT:

We live in a big country surrounded by water. Many Americans never go to other countries except Canada or Mexico. Most Americans do not understand foreign people's opinions because we never really meet foreign people. Even foreign people in America are basically Americans to us. Most Americans don't think about foreign country issues or people. Most of us do not know what foreign people do or think. This is not because of American pride. It is simply because we do not meet each other.

Please visit us and get to know us. You will find many good things and many bad things. You will find things you like and things you don't like. You will find things that are better in America. You will find things that are better in China.

But I don't think you will find racism.

I knew an old German guy. He said that if he had watched The Grapes of Wrath, before he came to the US, he never would have come to the US.

Anyway, NUWORLD, I've always said you can get more with some nice words and a two by four, than you can with just nice words.

As has been mentioned, you need to have evidence up the caboose if you talk to either your lawyer, or your state agency.

As for going to ICE, I'm not sure you will get anywhere with that. At a former place of employment, some of us wanted to get rid of someone that we knew was illegal, and we knew that the company knew they hired an illegal. Big waste of our time to even bother ICE. The amount of information/evidence that they required was beyond reasonable.

Something to think about Nuworld.

If transfering to another department makes your and your wifes life smoother then forget about complaining.

One of the drawbacks of going to EEOC could be that the company will look for an opportunity to get rid of you and your wife.

If the state you are in is a "right to work" state like NY then the company does not even need a reason to fire you.

I dont have to tell you whats involved in looking for a new job in this economy.

As much as you want justice done please also think about the after effects.

Goodluck and I hope things work out.