workplace discrimination/Harassment

NUWORLD

Sorry i have not been around much but my wife has been having some workplace problems.

This has been going on for about the past year.

Both my wife and i work at the same place.

There is one employie that works in the same department as my wife.

Everyday and just about any time this person gets within ear shot disstance of my wife she is always calling her names and telling my wife to go back to china.

My wife has told her supervisor about this but he always says it's not his problem and to get back to work.

She even went to the plant manager and told him.

He said he would look into it.

Nothing never got solved there.

By now I'm getting really pissed off at our company because they are not doing anything about this problem.

My wife wants to put her foot upside the persons head and beat the shit out of her.

I told her NOT!!! to do this.

About two months ago we had the company VP come out to our house and we had a translator there to explain everything to the VP.

Once again, Nothing happened.

Yesterday my wife tells me she does not want to work here anymore because she thinks the company does take care of her only the spanish people get taken care of.

I have started to do some research about this issue.

Does anyone know what options we have and how to go about it.

I have tried to fine a Chinese speaking lawyer here in Ohio but so far no luck.

what irony!!! i just had an annual mandatory 1 day training on workplace harassment.

from this link, http://www.fcc.gov/owd/understanding-harassment.html

Workplace Harassment is a Form of Discrimination

Unlawful harassment is a form of discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other federal authority.

Unwelcome verbal or physical conduct based on race, color, religion, sex (whether or not of a sexual nature and including same-gender harassment and gender identity harassment), national origin, age (40 and over), disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, or retaliation (sometimes collectively referred to as ¡°legally protected characteristics¡±) constitutes harassment when:

1.The conduct is sufficiently severe or pervasive to create a hostile work environment; or

2.A supervisor¡¯s harassing conduct results in a tangible change in an employee¡¯s employment status or benefits (for example, demotion, termination, failure to promote, etc.).

i would go to your HR dept first and reported it, they would know what to do in these cases. good luck.

I wouldn't go to a supervisor about this. That's what the HR department is for. A coworker at my workplace was being sexually harassed. After going to the H.R. department, it was handled quickly and effectively. EDIT: I forgot to say I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things will work out quickly (and positively) for her. I've been going through a lot of training at my new job and one thing I learned is that harassment isn't dependent on the intention of what was said or done, but how it was interpreted.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I wouldn't go to a supervisor about this. That's what the HR department is for. A coworker at my workplace was being sexually harassed. After going to the H.R. department, it was handled quickly and effectively. EDIT: I forgot to say I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things will work out quickly (and positively) for her. I've been going through a lot of training at my new job and one thing I learned is that harassment isn't dependent on the intention of what was said or done, but how it was interpreted.

I agree with Kyle and George - you have to go the HR department. You need to do this before contact the state EEOC office. They have to do something about it whereas the supervisors can try to downplay it. In your case the supervisors you contacted will be some "hot water" so you should have some documentation of these conversations and expect some "fall out". Sorry but from my experience that is how it will play out.

I also am sorry this has happened to you. Keeps up updated on the progress. You also should consider consulting an lawyer.

Sorry i have not been around much but my wife has been having some workplace problems.

This has been going on for about the past year.

Both my wife and i work at the same place.

There is one employie that works in the same department as my wife.

Everyday and just about any time this person gets within ear shot disstance of my wife she is always calling her names and telling my wife to go back to china.

My wife has told her supervisor about this but he always says it's not his problem and to get back to work.

She even went to the plant manager and told him.

He said he would look into it.

Nothing never got solved there.

By now I'm getting really pissed off at our company because they are not doing anything about this problem.

My wife wants to put her foot upside the persons head and beat the shit out of her.

I told her NOT!!! to do this.

About two months ago we had the company VP come out to our house and we had a translator there to explain everything to the VP.

Once again, Nothing happened.

Yesterday my wife tells me she does not want to work here anymore because she thinks the company does take care of her only the spanish people get taken care of.

I have started to do some research about this issue.

Does anyone know what options we have and how to go about it.

I have tried to fine a Chinese speaking lawyer here in Ohio but so far no luck.

Sorry to hear about the harassment your wife is dealing with at work.

First of all it is her supervisor's problem. He is the first person who should have put an end to this by talking with this other woman and explaining that what she is doing to your wife is harassment and that she could lose her job it if continues. This seemes to be what happened all the way to the V.P. (who if had any brains or training in human resources) would know this could cause big problems for not only the woman who is harassing your wife, but any company official who was involved,(meaning they knew of the issue) but did nothing to resolve other than let it be passed on to the next person higher up, and kind of washed their hands in the matter.

I don't think you need a Chinese speaking lawyer, if your wife can explain simply what has been going on. She is being harassed in her work place by another employee. She has the right to work with out being harassed by another employee, supervisor or any one else she works with. Depending on the state, not only could this woman who is doing the harassment but any supervisor found to have not acted properly to stop this issue could be terminated.

I am no lawyer, but I have been around enough companies to see these things happen and what can happen to those incharge not doing their jobs to end the harassment.

Having as much proof as you can on this is helpful, so it doesn't turn into a she said she said. If other employess have heard this woman speak to your wife this way any thing that your wife told the supervisors up to the V.P. would help strengthen your case.

I wish your wife luck, no one deserves to be treated this way.

Have you talked to the person that is saying bad things to your wife? Perhaps a little "encouragement" ;) for this person from yourself might just take care of things.

is this a union place? you may need a shop steward when you talk to that person.

have you ever seen the movie "crash" look at part where mexican looking usa policewoman talk to chinese woman. This movie alone told me about USA views Chinese

Edited by Tangtui (see edit history)

have you ever seen the movie "crash" look at part where mexican looking usa policewoman talk to chinese woman. This movie alone told me about USA views Chinese

Americans do not look down on Chinese. We don't worry about Chinese power.

The truth is even worse than you Chinese think, Tangtui. The truth is, most Americans just don't think about you Chinese at all. Except for Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, most Americans don't know the name of even one Chinese city.

So don't worry about racism. It is really not very common.

If you come here, you are just another American. 10% of Americans are Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Philippino). Most Americans can't tell which country you came from. Most Americans wouldn't care where you are from even if they knew. So don't worry about racism and nationalism.

This is what you need to know about Americans:

We are not Koreans or Japanese. We do not always compete about who is more developed or who is richer.

We are all different. Maybe you can say, "Koreans think this about Chinese" or "Japanese think this about Koreans", but you can never say that about Americans. Each one of us is different and has different ideas.

We do not care so much about what the other person has or what they do. Each person measures himself against himself.

For most Americans, it does not make an American happy to see another person fail. It does make us happy to watch someone succeed.

Most of us are good people that want to help others and make friends. But we are very self-centered.

THIS ONE IS MOST IMPORTANT:

We live in a big country surrounded by water. Many Americans never go to other countries except Canada or Mexico. Most Americans do not understand foreign people's opinions because we never really meet foreign people. Even foreign people in America are basically Americans to us. Most Americans don't think about foreign country issues or people. Most of us do not know what foreign people do or think. This is not because of American pride. It is simply because we do not meet each other.

Please visit us and get to know us. You will find many good things and many bad things. You will find things you like and things you don't like. You will find things that are better in America. You will find things that are better in China.

But I don't think you will find racism.

And also, Hey NUWORLD! Get that guy canned. That's just plain inappropriate. I don't know about legal action because of possible backlash on your respective incomes, but HR action would be a definite way to go.

Jeez. In the 21st century? People still think this way???

Do you think it is racism or nationalism?