Life in America

Michael

Life has changed a lot. First she is going to English classes now and that will help. Fengjie took the dog for a walk one day and got lost on the way back. She loves hot water and orange juice and tea. Pretty much is what she drinks. She has made Chinese food and likes doing that. Sometimes I have no clue what she is telling me. We have a hand held abd we use that. But sometimes that doesn't work. Then it is plan B. I called Yan and she told me what she wanted. She likes going to Golden Corral. She has a choice of what she would like to eat.

Fengjie's call China a lot and I did show her how to do with the help of Yan. We also have used Yahoo Messenger and QQ. She does have her own cell phone. So this does help. Everyday there is a new adventure. I have to work at the ball park sometime and she bag the popcorn for me. She also helped with the hot dogs.

Not understanding English has been a little tough for her. But it will get better as time moves on with her classes on English. There is never a dull moment.

Still learning what American food she likes. Plus I made a roast and potatoes and carrots in a crock pot. She really seemed to like that. Of course we do go to Chinese places also. Since my friend owns one. Turns out that has been really good. There is a woman Mae that has a daughter that goes to school in America. She has a DVD and other items that she can use to learn English.

We have a long ways to go. And looking forward to a bright future.

Michael :lol:

Life has changed a lot. First she is going to English classes now and that will help. Fengjie took the dog for a walk one day and got lost on the way back. She loves hot water and orange juice and tea. Pretty much is what she drinks. She has made Chinese food and likes doing that. Sometimes I have no clue what she is telling me. We have a hand held abd we use that. But sometimes that doesn't work. Then it is plan B. I called Yan and she told me what she wanted. She likes going to Golden Corral. She has a choice of what she would like to eat.

Fengjie's call China a lot and I did show her how to do with the help of Yan. We also have used Yahoo Messenger and QQ. She does have her own cell phone. So this does help. Everyday there is a new adventure. I have to work at the ball park sometime and she bag the popcorn for me. She also helped with the hot dogs.

Not understanding English has been a little tough for her. But it will get better as time moves on with her classes on English. There is never a dull moment.

Still learning what American food she likes. Plus I made a roast and potatoes and carrots in a crock pot. She really seemed to like that. Of course we do go to Chinese places also. Since my friend owns one. Turns out that has been really good. There is a woman Mae that has a daughter that goes to school in America. She has a DVD and other items that she can use to learn English.

Michael :D

Great Update, Michael. One thing I found that helps my wife learn English. I talk to her just like any other person in America. Then we concentrate on the translation, This way she learns how English sounds and get used to hear it. She also asks me to correct her grammar. This way she does not get used to bad English habits. Yeah, you have a long way to go, but it will be a great trip. Enjoy.

If she is constantly talking to family and friends in China, you might consider replacing your home phone with Italkbb. It is a VoIp service just like Vonage, except you get free calling to and from China. I have had it for four years and love it.

Michael :D

Great Update, Michael. One thing I found that helps my wife learn English. I talk to her just like any other person in America. Then we concentrate on the translation, This way she learns how English sounds and get used to hear it. She also asks me to correct her grammar. This way she does not get used to bad English habits. Yeah, you have a long way to go, but it will be a great trip. Enjoy.

If she is constantly talking to family and friends in China, you might consider replacing your home phone with Italkbb. It is a VoIp service just like Vonage, except you get free calling to and from China. I have had it for four years and love it.

Great idea. I will look into it.

Michael

My wife likes buffets too (except Chinese Buffets) as she can cook better than most. She likes to pick out what she eats and taste new foods. I still order for her after 8 months in American restaurants and she always wants to try something new.

SKYPE is another option for internet and cell phone. For $13 a month unlimited service to China. My wife's friends and relatives call here with their calling cards and then my wife hangs up and calls them back and can talk all night if they want to do so.

Showing the area in Google maps helped her learn her way around and I constantly point out places we have been before as this reinforces her understanding of the area terrain.

I ask her to sing to me in Chinese and that makes her happy as does any opportunity to speak Chinese with any Chinese people she may meet out shopping. Funny to find out that my wife has difficulty identifying other Chinese people. I will look and tell her those people look Japanese (usually shorter and more pronounced nose like Western) or Korean (run most of the flea markets around here and dress more "flashy" than Chinese) but she will insist they are Chinese and try to talk to them only to find out they are Japanese or Korean.

Sometimes I am wrong though, but usually I can do better to identify other Chinese people than my wife can :happybday:

Glad to hear all is going smoothly. Be sure to plan lots of weekend day trips (picnics) to nearby parks and nature for her to enjoy!!!

TB

Funny to find out that my wife has difficulty identifying other Chinese people. I will look and tell her those people look Japanese (usually shorter and more pronounced nose like Western) or Korean (run most of the flea markets around here and dress more "flashy" than Chinese) but she will insist they are Chinese and try to talk to them only to find out they are Japanese or Korean.

A few weeks back we went to the Danbury mall and decided to try the Chinese place in the food court.

There was an "oriental" looking spanish guy behind the counter.

The wifey goes up and starts talking to him in Chinese. :happybday: You should have seen the look on this guys face.