H1N1 and traveling to China

Where I am (central Texas) there are lots of H1N1 cases, including some of my co-workers and their families.

When I went to China this last July, some folks came onto the plane and checked the temperatures of everyone on board (it reminded me of a scene in the movie "ET") -- rumor was that if anyone was found with a fever, everyone within a certain number of feet would be quarantined upon arrival. It made for a surreal and somewhat stressful half hour or so (as far as I know, no one had any problems).

I'm returning to China in December; has anyone heard about or run into any trouble with regard to China's fear of our bringing H1N1 there?

I have befriended a couple of young students from Shanghai who are one semester exchange students at the university where I work. They told me that when they return to Shanghai in December, they will be forbidden to return to their university campus for at least two weeks (they can stay at home and in the general vicinity of their home).

I guess I'm looking either for a reason to relax about it and let it go because I'm over-reacting, or a justification for my low level fears...

Anyone with any experiences to share?

I had some very close friends who were quarantined upon their arrival in Beijing. They were seperated from their connecting party for about a week. It was strange because they didn't show any signs of illness nor did they have any fever. After several days of observation and blood tests, they were released. They saw this as a precautionary event, however, it was an inconvenience to them. They were released with the hospital's apologies.

The last time I traveled by train in China, I had a cold. Jingjing made me take a lot of cold medicine to cover up my sneezing and runny nose symptoms. It's apparent to my wife, that any one suggesting that someone is infected (perhaps from another passenger) is sufficient in causing enough concern to quarantine the passenger in question. Nothing happened to me.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Wow, a week out of my planned 12-day trip would be a real downer.

I wonder if they'd allow conjugal visits? :P

As long as you show no symptoms you should be ok, but yes the risk is still there.

This other member is taking a bigger risk: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=525071

I just returned from China. I traveled through Guangzhou. I saw a lot of people wearing face masks but I did not see any government activity. However, the tv in China was always making it sound like the USA is having serious problems with this flu. I expected to have some problems while traveling through China - but again, I saw no government involvement. No medical personnel was checking travelers.

m-coon

They didn't have the flu so the hospital covered the cost. Not sure what would of happened if they did have it.

My 1st trip in July there were people at the border checkpoint taking temps of people entering the country. Only at the border none at the Airport. Mayeb the lack of people at the airport was due to my plane arriving at 12:00 Midnight.

My 2nd trip I arrived at 11:00Pm and again no one at the airport checking people and this time no one at the border crossing.

I think China for the most part is goign to give up trying to stop people with it from enterign the country and instead try to slow the spread inside the country... Hell they may even stop that. it is proving impossable to contain.

I think your ok, just do like I did. 1 hour before your flight lands take 1 asprin, 1 advil and 1 motrin, that combo will lower any temp you may have.... ;)

Robert

China is still taking temps at airports using thermal cameras as you pass through certain checkpoints.

But...they have decided that trying to strictly control incoming passengers was taking away from the internal fight to stem the tide of flu recipients.

Now, they focus more on education, temp taking at large gatherings (schools, sporting events, etc.).

If you get caught by the camera at the airport with a high temp, you can bet that you will be quarantined. This is usually now done by having you check into a certain hotel or by making sure that you know to stay at home, making sure your host knows that you may be sick and to be watchful of your temp.

I can imagine that if you blew the meter off the camera with a very high temp you would be invited to spend some time in one of their fine isolation wards at the city hospital.

Flu vaccines are supposed to be available beginning in January. Priorities are as follows...Medical workers, People with respiratory dangers, students, teachers. No need to worry about the common everyday run-of-the-mill population. They will run out of vaccine long before they get far enough down the list to vaccinate all the teachers.

I have a good President at the school I work at. He has pulled one of the many strings he has to get me a vaccine on January 4, 2010 at 2:00pm. I fall into two categories...respiratory dangers and teacher..this moves me up the list.

My 1st trip in July there were people at the border checkpoint taking temps of people entering the country. Only at the border none at the Airport. Mayeb the lack of people at the airport was due to my plane arriving at 12:00 Midnight.

My 2nd trip I arrived at 11:00Pm and again no one at the airport checking people and this time no one at the border crossing.

I think China for the most part is goign to give up trying to stop people with it from enterign the country and instead try to slow the spread inside the country... Hell they may even stop that. it is proving impossable to contain.

I think your ok, just do like I did. 1 hour before your flight lands take 1 asprin, 1 advil and 1 motrin, that combo will lower any temp you may have.... :partytime2:

Robert

Tylenol is better for lowering temp.