How China Handles "Crime"

Not sure where to put this but here goes.

The wife is always saying that China is safe and secure. The US has all these people who kill so many others and nothing seems to happen.

But I say China's justice system is quite arbitrary and many innocent people are executed. (Maybe some not so innocent.) And there is just as much injustice toward victims as there is in the US. And we never hear about the ones who carry knives and mug you. The cops in China are just as fallible and subject to corruption as any police system. Maybe more.

I am constantly being subjected to the generalizations about China, this one being the most common, especially in view of the latest round of mass murderers.

It always starts with "China no have." Well, China does not have a lot of things, including freedom and justice. And it does have a lot of civil unrest where people do get killed.

China Executes 9

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to put this but here goes.

The wife is always saying that China is safe and secure. The US has all these people who kill so many others and nothing seems to happen.

But I say China's justice system is quite arbitrary and many innocent people are executed. (Maybe some not so innocent.) And there is just as much injustice toward victims as there is in the US. And we never hear about the ones who carry knives and mug you. The cops in China are just as fallible and subject to corruption as any police system. Maybe more.

I am constantly being subjected to the generalizations about China, this one being the most common, especially in view of the latest round of mass murderers.

It always starts with "China no have." Well, China does not have a lot of things, including freedom and justice. And it does have a lot of civil unrest where people do get killed.

China Executes 9

My SO was telling me about 2 months ago about a man that worked for the same company she does was arrested for the rape and murder of 5 woman. It never even made the ocal news in Xiangtan. If that had happened in this country it would have been known round the world in matter of minutes. We do not always hear about what goes on in other countries...especailly China and Russia.

In talking with several young university students from China lately (in the States as exchange students), I've become aware of an interesting attitude toward government: on the one hand, they laugh and make fun of the "Green Wall" and governmental attempts to control access to information; on the other, perhaps due to lack of a free press, they swallow a lot of what they're handed -- and, as has been suggested, don't know a lot of what goes on.

It is my belief and that of my wife that most, but not all crimes in most places are not reported on by the media. Crime makes China, government and police not look to good. Anything that does not make these guys look good is not reported on much. Some events do get national attention after they have already spread nationally via the internet before it is caught by the internet police.

After all they do own the media so why would they allow the media to report anything that would make themselves look bad. As if they were not properly protecting it's citizens.

Before you say it I am sure that if the US gov. owned the media it would be the same way here too.

I will admit that I believe that the crimes in the US are more violent in nature.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

A Tianamen Square would never happen here!.

Imagine being shot at by your own troops. :ph34r:

As a matter of fact it did happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Larry

VOW you learn something new every day.

I guess never say never.

It happened but not to the same extent.

Larry

Yes, it did happen here (I was at a college not far away); but, as Larry says, it didn't happen to the same extent, and it was national news immediately and *everyone* in the country knew about it by nightfall, there were investigations, etc., and future observances of that tragedy were not banned or shut down.

It was also not the result of a governmental decision to fire but rather the act(s) of a few scared soldiers in a stressful situation. A governmental commission later harshly criticized the guardsmen who fired.

I I am sure that if the US gov. owned the media it would be the same way here too.

Larry

Possibly; but the BBC is owned by the British Government, and it's a pretty darned good source of news, and pretty independent, too (arguably more independent than our business sponsor-owned news).

It is my belief and that of my wife that most, but not all crimes in most places are reported on by the media. Crime makes China, government and police not look to good. Anything that does not make these guys look good is not reported on much. Some events do get national attention after they have already spread nationally via the internet before it is caught by the internet police.

After all they do own the media so why would they allow the media to report anything that would make themselves look bad. As if they were not properly protecting it's citizens.

Before you say it I am sure that if the US gov. owned the media it would be the same way here too.

I will admit that I believe that the crimes in the US are more violent in nature.

Larry

I am going to a bit of a 360 here and I do not mean to cause trouble.

but one of the reasons that crime here is more violent then China is because of gun control or lack of it.

That being said and to get back on topic, The Chinese beleive everything their government feeds them and most of it is designed to make them look good and to show how they are defending Chinese interests.

When I was there last month I met a lot of her family,co workers and friends. They all knew I was an Asian Indian American and the first question I was asked was "Why is the US and India ganging up on China?"

Fen explained to me that there is a lot of coverage in the Chinese media about this nexus and their designs to reign in China.

First time I heard of it :ph34r:

Edited by Sam and Fen (see edit history)