What's Allowed/Not Allowed in China?

Bing and I never had anyone bother us about staying together in a hotel. We cohabitated the whole time I was there. In Nanning and Guilin. Perhaps the engagement ring she was wearing helped i don't know. If she was concerned about it she didnt tell me. Like probably most of us I had some aprehension about being in comunist country. Having been raised with the constant threat of the "red menace" . No one bothered me about anything. Customs was easier than the US. I never once felt any anti american feelings toward me. the police were polite like everyone else. I came and went as I pleased. In short, just use common sense and you will be fine.

Carl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The co-habitation in a hotel issue is unevenly applied throughout China. Li and I never had a problem in Guangzhou but were told by a hotel in Shanghai that we could not stay together. In Hefei, she was not allowed in my apartment after 9 PM but when we moved to Guangdong, the university furnished us an apartment where we were allowed to live together. My suggestion is to follow your girls advice and be especially cautious in the more conservative areas.

Thanks guys, It won't be an issue for long, we should have our license 5 or 6 days after I arrive.  I guess it's just my eagerness to spend every moment with her since our time together will be so short.

Could someone remind me that patience is a virtue? :angel:

Reminder: "Patience is a virtue". :P :angry: :o

Enjoy your trip and best wishes on your K-3 process. :blink:

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions somewhat OT, but close enough to qualify for this one.

Since I haven't heard any hint about it, I assume there is no problem with the water in China, no need to worry about "Mao's Revenge", true or should I pack lots of water?

ShuPing needs a lap top and a web cam, the friend who has one will be leaving soon (married to a Brit). Are computers there basically the same as computers here? Are the keyboards different (50,000 Chinese character keys - I don't think so) or do they have accented PinYin keys? I know their plugs are different, but are they on the same electrical system we are, i.e. 110V 60 cycles (I think that's right) or is it different? Also what's the price comparison, I've heard they're cheaper in China.

OK those were the two burning questions at the moment, please forgive the tangent.

I wouldn't drink the water.  Electrical is 220 and I have heard although I didn't compare prices that consumer electronics are cheaper here than there.

Without a doubt, don't drink the water unless it has been boiled. Along these lines, watch out for ice in restuarants. Sometimes it is made from water that has not been boiled. As for the electronics, items are cheaper if they are made in China. However, imported items like from Japan and America are more expensive due to import tariffs. Laptops are much more expensive but are gradually becoming cheaper.

something I did for both my trips to China was take along some ImodiumAD and take half a dose(1 pill) each morning I never once had any loose bowels and did not worry about ice or tap water if I felt something stirring I would take the other half. not sure if this was why I went without any problem but I will do it everytime from now on.

In all my years in China, the only time I got really sick, I mean genuine food poisoning, was right before the Spring Festival in 2001. Ate some bad squid in a bowl of Japanese Dofu. I was sick as a dog for four days with the results coming out of both ends. I ate Imodium like candy to no avail. Finally passed thank God.

I drank tap water in Dalian with no problem, but this is probably the only city in China it is safe to do so. Dalian has a nationwide reputation for cleanliness overall and for clean water. I did have some diarrhea from eating a couple of raw oysters while forgetting where I was (being wrapped up in my sweetheart) and did not have any Imodium or whatever. I explained the problem to Ping and her aunt gave her some little bitty Chinese pills which Ping guaranteed me would work. They did, perfectly, without causing the rebound constipation which other preparations for this purpose frequently do. I was thrilled, believe me. :huh: Too bad you other guys did not have such a lucky course. Oh well. After some time it was so hot and I was drinking so much water that I became a little worried about it so I switched to bottled water, going to pick up Evian at the friendship store. But I probably need not have worried. Ping's aunt had this cool filtration system.

Back to the original topic. I felt a little concerned when I was in Dalian because it was during the time when the spy plane got hit by the Chinese fighter plane and several people, even strangers, asked Ping to ask me if I thought China and the U.S. might fight a war over this. I always laughed it off and said that we were two great nations who would not get upset over such a small thing, and that China and America really were pretty good friends and the American people very much loved the Chinese, so there was nothing to worry about. When Ping translated this back to them, they were always quite pleased. Another thing that worried me was when Ping would get started railing and ranting against the government, but it was only while riding in taxicabs. It seems that taxi drivers there serve as sort of minor psychologists there, as they have done for me here in America before. :P

OK, so I take it that they sell bottled water, that sounds like a very good thing. I'll take the Immodium and, since it's winter, I'll skip the ice in my drinks. Nothing like major diarrhea for your honeymoon. :huh: Instead of her being locked up in the bathroom, it'd be me, for all the wrong reasons.

It's interesting about the computers though. I would think the keyboard would have to be different. How do they send Pinyin and characters then? I also thought ours wouldn't be compatible with theirs.

Good thing you guys are around. Hopefully I'll be able to help out the next new guy.

At least you are thinking about the things that many Americans never even give a passing thought to.

DON'T drink the tap water. Anywhere. Always use the bottled water. All homes will have a big water dispenser. They know enough not to drink the tap water. Of course the problem is that if it is not a reputable vendor, the bottled water is just tap water.

Don't violate Mick's three T's. It is true that on the whole the government pretty much leaves individuals alone, but they can get very serious about public anti government talk.

The co-habitation is indeed unevenly enforced across China. In some areas the PSB still sees it as an important part of their job to see to it that foreign devils don't get too friendly with the locals. In others, they couldn't care less. Sometimes it is simply a money raising scheme. Pay up and they won't charge you after all.

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions somewhat OT, but close enough to qualify for this one.

water in China...

ShuPing needs a lap top and a web cam...

While in China if my girl would drink the water so would I. I agree about the street vendors re-bottling, check to see if the bottles are sealed. But don't forget in China tea is used like we use water.

China does have 220v. Most newer laptops will use 110 or 220 but you need to get the little adapter set for the various pins styles, about $10-15 on ebay. Find out if she wants to run Chinese Windows. Chinese windows is all over but ON FLOPPY DISK. You get get an older laptop like a P2 which is plenty fast for webchat and email etc. Then you just need to find a Chinese nerd. hahaha.