What's Allowed/Not Allowed in China?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the spitting?  Is it a matter of dodging loogies or being arrested for doing it?

As far as the cab ride, I'll sit in back with my Baby. :o

Although the government is making strides to cut back on the spitting, I would say that the greater danger lies in dodging them rather than being arrested. Up where you are going, also be careful about the random frozen loogie on the side walk. I have seen folks slip on these and, in fact, slipped on one myself in Hefei in the dead of winter. Beware the frozen loogie! :huh:

If you think I am kidding, PM Owen, a veteran of Shenyang in the frozen north, and ask him about it. Frozen loogies are a force to be reckoned with. Be especially careful when descending stairs of any kind. ;)

Stairs!!! That reminds me. Be prepared to walk up a lot of stairs. It seems that almost everybody we visited lived on the 4th floor or higher and there were no elevators. I spent 2 weeks living with the bride in ChongQing, and the only time I saw an elevator was in a hotel we went to for dinner.

And another thing................be prepared to say HELLO to a lot of people. Everybody knows that much English, or so it seems.

I understand the government recently outlawed spitting in the major cities, but I don't believe there is any active enforcement.

Beware the frozen loogie!

Isn't it cold eough to freeze before it hits the ground? Doesn't seem too dangerous, unless it's like stepping on marbles. :greenblob: :redblob: :greenblob: :redblob:

Be prepared to walk up a lot of stairs.

Great! I'll finally have some time to work out. So busy working around here that the stairmaster goes unused. Of course I have an advantage, I live a mile high in altitude, it'll be easier to breathe in QiQiHar. Or so the theory goes.

be prepared to say HELLO to a lot of people. Everybody knows that much English, or so it seems.

Being originally from the south, I'm used to that. I'll teach 'em all to say "Hey ya'll".

And another thing................be prepared to say HELLO to a lot of people. Everybody knows that much English, or so it seems.

I was in Chongqing back in March we went to the big mall there and went into this food joint that sold American food everytime I walked past this line of about 9 waiters they all would say "Good Morning" all at the same time, I heard this about a half dozen times the only problem was it was the middle of the afternoon.

being also from the south, my favorite thing that i dont EVER pass up teaching them is "hey y'all!!!" any of my former students, and number is adding up, can reply to that and use that! it makes me smile!!

the noise of the spitting and all that comes before the spit comes out of the mouth is what used to get me, but then again, after some time you get used to it!

We never had any problems from the local officials in Chongqing, we were together from day 1, maybe it was because I proposed and gave my wife her diamond ring the same day, as alot of married chinese women wear there diamond ring always instead of there gold wedding band daily, there choice I guess, never could figure that one out. Day three we went to the local office and got our marriage licensce and moved to mother and father in laws- her house. Drink bottled water or beer, can't go wrong there :o

I'm not sure that things will be the same in Harbin as they were in ChongQing, but we walked into the marriage office (with only my passport and Certificate of Marriagability. WeiPing had 4 photos of us taken before we went) and left 40 minutes later as Man and Wife. I didn't need half the stuff the Chinese consulate told me I would need and although I did wear a tie I don't think it would have mattered if I wore jeans and a tee shirt.

I saved 500 bucks by not getting my divorce decrees translated. I was sure they were going to ask for them, but nope.

As we were leaving I had to ask what was up. She smiled up at me and said "We married".

COOL!

Two divorces and a letter from my employer stating I can support the wife, plus all the attached authentications.

The translation company told me 60 bucks when I dropped it off, and 500 when i went to pick it up. I mentioned the 60 dollar quote and they said "Oh that's 60 dollars per page".

I was in Chongqing back in March we went to the big mall there and went into this food joint that sold American food everytime I walked past this line of about 9 waiters they all would say "Good Morning" all at the same time, I heard this about a half dozen times the only problem was it was the middle of the afternoon.

Ya, they did the same thing to me... but it was in Sri Lanka.

"Good morning Sir"

Morning, afternoon or night. They were so happy all I could do was say..

"Good Morning"

hehe