Taking large quantities of DRUGS to China....

Hi All,

I hope my title got everybody¡¯s attention..... ha ha

Sorry to disappoint you - but there are no drugs involved - only FLOUR. Lots of it..........

My wife wants to take about 40 pounds of cooking flour on the airplane with us..... For obvious reasons - I am quite worried that any one of several scenarios will play out - possibly ending with the flour being compensated at China customs.

Has anybody ever tried to do this before? Can you share your experiences? Can you give me some solid advice?

Delta Airlines says they will not be the problem - but they said China Southern (in Guangzhou - where we pass through customs and board our last flight) will be the problem. Delta said both the airline and customs will be tough to get through with this stuff (still intact and useable).

Thanks,

Scott

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but they said China Southern (in Guangzhou - where we pass through customs and board our last flight) will be the problem.

I've never been stopped in Guangzhou. In fact, the majority of the time, there isn't even a guard at the customs baggage checkpoint. I've heard with the H1N1 issue they've stepped it up though.

I agree, unless she needs a particular kind for dietary reasons. I buy American flour here in mainland China (Gold Medal).

40 lbs holy crap!

thats like dedicating an entire suitcase to it.

That kind of gave me a funny mental picture. I tend to agree with Spekkio99, that it may seem quite odd to a customs officer (on the off chance that they do screen it).

Edit:

Has she checked taobao.com to see if she can order it in China? I realize that many smaller areas do not have the same shopping opportunities as the larger more international cities. It may be worth a shot. My wife and I order a lot of American food products off taobao (usually Mexican stuff that is shipped from Shanghai or Guangzhou) which aren't available where were at.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

40 lbs holy crap!

i prolly wouldn't take that chance, i can't imagine it being that much better than the flour locally...

The wife says THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS ANYWHERE IN CHINA THAT SHE KNOWS OF!!! She is insisting that we try to take it. I have no choice but to try. It is not regular flour - it is the kind that is seasoned especially for fry cooking poultry.

m-coon

Foodstuff's are dutiable items - you should declare it, and will probably have to pay a duty on it.

http://guangzhou.customs.gov.cn/tabid/5943/Default.aspx

http://guangzhou.customs.gov.cn/publish/po...1/info27806.htm

http://guangzhou.customs.gov.cn/publish/po...1/info27801.htm. Prohibited: (I'm saying that it's NOT prohibited)

7. Foodstuff, medicines and other articles coming from epidemic stricken areas and harmful to man and livestock or those capable of spreading diseases.

- OR - find an ex-pat store

Andy's Western Food Store - Where is it? In the next block to Walmart (Wanda Plaza branch) at number 143 Nan Huan Road on the second floor. 2 minutes walk from Walmart. Open 9am to 9pm. Telephone Jim or Kate on 0771 2852809 or 13299261316. Or e-mail Jim at jim.keller@yahoo.com
This is in Nanning

- OR - see if you can find an online retailer who will ship to China

bring the seasoning with you - from a grocery store, Sam's, or other

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Are you talking about Shake-n-Bake, or what??

It is seasoned flour - can get it at any grocery store in the US. She says she cannot get it there - at least not in her home town.

I don't mind taking it or the expense of taking it - I just don't want to get to China and have it confenscated by cutoms.

I've talked with both Delta and China Southern - both say NO PROBLEM. But they both agree I should talk to the Chinese consulate here first............ can't get in touch with them!!! :unsure:

m-coon

Are you talking about Shake-n-Bake, or what??

It is seasoned flour - can get it at any grocery store in the US. She says she cannot get it there - at least not in her home town.

I don't mind taking it or the expense of taking it - I just don't want to get to China and have it confenscated by cutoms.

I've talked with both Delta and China Southern - both say NO PROBLEM. But they both agree I should talk to the Chinese consulate here first............ can't get in touch with them!!! :(

m-coon

Have your wife call the Guangzhou customs - it would cost over $50 to ship it separately, but they can give you the skinny on duties, restrictions, and whatever.

Check the phone numbers at the bottom of this page: http://guangzhou.customs.gov.cn/publish/portal31/

You could try to ship it UPS or FEDEX. What is the flour used to make? I am curious. I love cooking.

40 lbs holy crap!

i prolly wouldn't take that chance, i can't imagine it being that much better than the flour locally...

The wife says THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS ANYWHERE IN CHINA THAT SHE KNOWS OF!!! She is insisting that we try to take it. I have no choice but to try. It is not regular flour - it is the kind that is seasoned especially for fry cooking poultry.

m-coon

Hi All,

I hope my title got everybody’s attention..... ha ha

Sorry to disappoint you - but there are no drugs involved - only FLOUR. Lots of it..........

My wife wants to take about 40 pounds of cooking flour on the airplane with us..... For obvious reasons - I am quite worried that any one of several scenarios will play out - possibly ending with the flour being compensated at China customs.

Has anybody ever tried to do this before? Can you share your experiences? Can you give me some solid advice?

Delta Airlines says they will not be the problem - but they said China Southern (in Guangzhou - where we pass through customs and board our last flight) will be the problem. Delta said both the airline and customs will be tough to get through with this stuff (still intact and useable).

Thanks,

Scott

For my 2 MAO's worth - throw it in your luggage and "have a nice flight" -- noone cares. I've taken all kinds of food things both ways - and as long as it's "PACKAGED" you can pretty much sail right through. (NO MEAT PRODUCTS THOUGH)

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

40 lbs holy crap!

m-coon

MC

I started a post; however, it came out too derogatory. I mean seriously; are you yanking other people chains just to get a rise from them?

Numerous other threads address the same issues regard to weight allowances on airlines. Now you "kow-tow" to a woman that wants to send 40 pounds of "unobtainable" flour to China, that has to come through US and Chinese Customs agents all along the way, explaining to every one of them, possibly explaining to whatever "Inspector Clouseau " the reasons behind this shipment of 40 pounds of unobtainable American FLOUR! Pardon me for asking. Doesn't your reasoning seem to be somewhat like something of a scene out of a Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards movie theme, from the Pink Panther, or a Monty Python skit, with police/customs interspersed all along the way?

BTW, you stand innocently by the side, agreeing with her, and then post this silliness past this forum, expecting a straight answer!

Seriously! My wife recently left for China, expecting to stay for 5 months and ~ 15 days. We bought gifts for everyone as usual. The largest problem was the American shoes her niece wanted. To save weight, my wife wore the shoes, with three extra socks so she could walk in the shoes, so that my wife could walk through the airport (with her niece's shoes, that she wanted, and I purchased), five sizes too big and resembled a clown with oversize shoes. My wife simply wanted to save money and weight, As a self-tribute to myself, I agreed with her decision, and kept a straight face the entire time in the LAX terminal and didn't laugh once! Howeverr, it was hard to keep a straight face.

Numerous other posters talk about chocolate, vitamins, pens, ginseng, books etc, etc. In approximately five years that I have been here, your wife and you are the first to have crossed the boundary of flour. I mean ever!

Now! Your new wife, wants to ship 40 pounds of unobtainable flour to China? Have you taken leave of your senses!

Now you have come to this forum, asking about your new wife, and her wishes concerning flour? One poster stated that you can get flour easily, and BTW, I have also done so, and made "Maryland Chicken" in Chengdu. I have visited China many times, and had no problems obtaining her and/or my "unobtainable" flour!

Seriously......;

a ) I hope that is a joke. If it was you, that sucked me into this parody, then laugh is on me!

b ) If it wasn't a joke, then there are some serious issues that are about to bite you in the ass in the future. Every dog has its day, and it's own individual bite. Unfortunately, I suspect that it wasn't # a above, and if you are dead serious.

May I suggest that you never repeat this story to the ex-pats in China that you might meet, and your wife from refraining from telling Chinese women this story. All of them including teachers, would think that you are loony, and laugh in your face. I know my own wife wouldn't laugh in her face, but feel sorry for her.

You do what what you want. The US is a free country, and so is your family.

I wish you well. Do what comes natural

Dave

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/41/68041-004-3B974BE1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EvNyMPbxw. Minute 3.27 is very poignant to what I said above. What is your job? I'm the gardener, and the Clouseu continues to argue with him, regard to his job.

Kind of sounds like the flour question you asked previously, Scott! You want to argue, against common sense of many in CFL to solve a murder, and end up putting a blemish, on a priceless Steinway.

BTW, Scott; Many others I have known, are the same way. Trying to pound a square peg ino a round hole, with a BFH ( Big F _ _king Hammer). The result? A mangled peg, That never fits properly!

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)