Will a Hotplate I buy in China work in the USA?

RobertH

They have some real nice Uber hotplates Hui has been using to cook in our room. It heats up real hot really fast and cools down quickly. I think she would rather cook with this the range top I have back home.

Would it work in the USA if I took one back with me? The plug looks the same just no little holes in the end of the plug wires, it is the same size and shap.

I notice my laptop and phone charger plug in to the wall sockets in our room and work just fine.

Anyone ever bring something like this home?

Robert

Edited by RobertH (see edit history)

Yes, however you will need to install a 220v 15 or 20amp circuit to work the appliance, this requires a 220v breaker on the panel box, and a 220v outlet to prevent you from plugging American appliances into that outlet, and a 220v plug installed on the Chinese appliance's cord replacing the Chinese plug.

I did this for my parents, they bought a heater over from England some years ago.

Typical US 220v 15/20 amp outlet.

http://graphics.x10.com/images6/hd245color.jpg

This type of circuit tends to be used by HD appliances like 220v air-conditioners.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

we have a hotplate but it didn't work to good with the adapter also have a rice cooker and crock pot. i just ran several 220 volt circuts for this, works like a dream, also your appliance is designed for 50 cycles per second, we are on 60 cycles but since is just a heating element, it won't recognize the difference. i do keep my american crock pot as i can't read the chinese controls on the other

You can make it work, but as an electronics tech, in my opinion, it is not worth the trouble and possible fire danger. You said it heats up quickly? That means it must draw a hell of a current. Even with an adaptor, you can stress your entire house circuit causing it to get hot inside of your walls. You've got time, see what you can find here in the states. Asian food markets often have Asian hot plates that are configured for US power requirements. See what you can find.

Electrical wiring is responsible for far too many fires every year. If you don't know about it, DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING YOURSELF. Poor wiring can also turn your appliance into a shock hazard, in a kitchen environment, that can be deadly.

You can make it work, but as an electronics tech, in my opinion, it is not worth the trouble and possible fire danger. You said it heats up quickly? That means it must draw a hell of a current. Even with an adaptor, you can stress your entire house circuit causing it to get hot inside of your walls. You've got time, see what you can find here in the states. Asian food markets often have Asian hot plates that are configured for US power requirements. See what you can find.

Electrical wiring is responsible for far too many fires every year. If you don't know about it, DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING YOURSELF. Poor wiring can also turn your appliance into a shock hazard, in a kitchen environment, that can be deadly.

Yes - you MUST have the circuitry for it. But an electrician should be able to tie into the circuit for your stove, if it's electric, AND if that circuit can support the added wattage.

I notice my laptop and phone charger plug in to the wall sockets in our room and work just fine.
Your laptop and phone charger power supplies adapt automatically to the voltage - the hot plate will not.

Hi,

I'm guessing from your description the 'Uber Hotplate' isn't a hotplate at all, but really an induction cooker. These are common in China. My wife asked me to get one for her, but since we have a gas stove at home it mostly sits unused. These can be bought in a 99 Ranch store or online (we got ours at Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJVHA...x_ya_oh_product

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)