Ok brain storm time. I leave in 3 days.

I know I posted on this before but Im Bendan so I need to ask in a more simple way.

DAAAA WUT SHUD I BRINGED TA CHINA WIT MEH?

I got a box of 100 packets of Multivitamins and some Western snacks so far and i be stumped. She said her father dose not drink. and she wants Stop smoking suger for her brother ( What the hell is that? :))

Im not looking to break the bank with gifts for her brother and father but I would like to take them something. If she had a good relationship with her family I would spend more but from whet she says they do not treat her well so I would rather spend the money on her.

I see nice shirts but when I check the tag...ok take a guess.... it says..... MADE IN CHINA! She tells me wait itll I get there and we can buy some gifts in her home town but I think something from AZ would be cool. maybe a Cactus...:clapping:

Robert

Fish oil tabs seems to be a good thing to give

This is true.

1. How is their English proficiency? I have a Chinese buddy who is always wanting me to bring him a book or two.

2. You'd be surprised how many Chinese collect stamps.

3. Nice looking pens (nice looking does not have to mean expensive)

4. What about a nice pair of indoor sandals? Most Chinese don't wear their shoes inside. I bought my baba a pair from Wal-Mart for 8 bucks (or less), and they have a lot more padding than what you'll find in China (not to mention keep their feet warm in the winter). They'll last longer too.

5. My wife keeps screaming "Knife, knife, knife", but I don't know if this is threat to me, or if it is a suggestion for you. I'll go with the latter. Yes a knife that you can put on a key chain is a good idea.

If I think of anything more, I'll let you know.

I know I posted on this before but Im Bendan so I need to ask in a more simple way.

I got a box of 100 packets of Multivitamins and some Western snacks so far and i be stumped. She said her father dose not drink. and she wants Stop smoking suger for her brother ( What the hell is that? :P)

Im not looking to break the bank with gifts for her brother and father but I would like to take them something. If she had a good relationship with her family I would spend more but from whet she says they do not treat her well so I would rather spend the money on her.

I see nice shirts but when I check the tag...ok take a guess.... it says..... MADE IN CHINA! She tells me wait itll I get there and we can buy some gifts in her home town but I think something from AZ would be cool. maybe a Cactus...:P

Robert

I think "stop smoking sugar" is her literal translation of ½äÑÌÌÇ, which would be gum to help quit smoking, i.e., nicorette.

I like your idea of a cactus or other small local plant, which maybe you were just saying in jest. Some traditional Chinese people have a custom where, when they go to live somewhere new, they take a little bag of soil from their old home to carry with them. When they arrive they might mix it in with the local soil or just keep it with them. It's like having a little part of the goodness and luck from home to help them in their new world. This idea of giving a part of a place just struck me as an interesting and fine idea as a gift.

I got a box of 100 packets of Multivitamins and some Western snacks so far and i be stumped. She said her father dose not drink. and she wants Stop smoking suger for her brother ( What the hell is that? :ph34r:)

I see nice shirts but when I check the tag...ok take a guess.... it says..... MADE IN CHINA! She tells me wait itll I get there and we can buy some gifts in her home town but I think something from AZ would be cool. maybe a Cactus...:mobrun:

Robert

I think "stop smoking sugar" is her literal translation of ½äÑÌÌÇ, which would be gum to help quit smoking, i.e., nicorette.

I like your idea of a cactus or other small local plant, which maybe you were just saying in jest. Some traditional Chinese people have a custom where, when they go to live somewhere new, they take a little bag of soil from their old home to carry with them. When they arrive they might mix it in with the local soil or just keep it with them. It's like having a little part of the goodness and luck from home to help them in their new world. This idea of giving a part of a place just struck me as an interesting and fine idea as a gift.

Good call on the gum. You are 100% correct, and I'm kicking myself for not getting it until you posted the Chinese characters.

One thing to look into: if I understand correctly, most customs do NOT allow you to bring plain dirt across national borders, because dirt can harbor all sorts of fungi and insects and seeds that could attack native plants and animals. Check on that first.

It is hard to find gifts to bring to China because it does not seem right to give "made in China" items.

Cigarettes are traditional and common to give. If they do not smoke or are trying to quit they still can pass them on to their friends. Any major US brand will do.

Vitamins are good for the old. Calcium supplaments because milk is very expensive in China. I had a request for omega 3 fish oil, I bought Spring Vally brand from walmart. Interestingly all these items are much cheaper in the US.

Chocolate is good for the younger people. Plain M&M's, Snicker Bars and Hershey's Kisses are the favorites. If you know someone who likes spicy food then I would recommend "Cow Girl Spicy Chocolates" http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Review-Cow-...picy-Chocolates or Chuao Chocolatier bars http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Review-Chua...-Chocolate-Bars these can be bought at Walmart.

Have a great trip! I just got back from China myself