Carls Jr

I guess if I were living there, I'd miss American food occasionally and want to get some gut-bombs.

However, I can't fathom visiting China and not taking advantage of being in a world of the culinary delights at every opportunity. :)

I don't know, Each time I was in China with Jen, we would visit both types of places. The amount of people in the KFCs and McDonalds was incredible. As for Carl's, IMO it is the best of the chain burger places, sorry In n Out Burger. It is a truly a charbrioled burger, not fried or grilled then microwaved like BK.

Now, if they sell this in China.....Big Carl. :P

Eat one for me big boy.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to try it out today for lunch.

Frankly, the people who eat at KFC and McDonald's are not really going for the food. They are going for something American. We had a 25 degrees joint open in Beijing for about a year and had to shut it down, even though it was voted the best burger in Beijing. The clients were not even Chinese. Most are Europeans (lots of French) and they don't seem to care that much for the American food. For the locals, it was too expensive, a bit over 100 RMB for a burger combo. If you look at the customers in KFC, it is mostly teens and people in their early 20s. Starbucks is another one of those kind of places and frankly you will find most of the people in Starbucks hate the taste of coffee, or at least the starbucks coffee. They dilute it a lot of milk.

I am going to try it out today for lunch.

Frankly, the people who eat at KFC and McDonald's are not really going for the food. They are going for something American. We had a 25 degrees joint open in Beijing for about a year and had to shut it down, even though it was voted the best burger in Beijing. The clients were not even Chinese. Most are Europeans (lots of French) and they don't seem to care that much for the American food. For the locals, it was too expensive, a bit over 100 RMB for a burger combo. If you look at the customers in KFC, it is mostly teens and people in their early 20s. Starbucks is another one of those kind of places and frankly you will find most of the people in Starbucks hate the taste of coffee, or at least the starbucks coffee. They dilute it a lot of milk.

You have some good points, but then, the young people today will be the older generation soon enough. Each time I was in China, each of Jen's relatives had coupons for KFC. Now granted, Jen does like burgers, but she likes the chicken sandwiches better. I even like the KFC sandwicheds in the Chinese places better than the US locations. Now the expence? I can see that doing in a place in China. As an American, I'd pay for good burger, but Jen wouldn't.

Now I do agree with Starbucks. Most people I saw in there were westerners looking for something familiar, myself included.

Obviously the Carl's is going to be importing their own brand name supplies and beef from the US. I wonder if only a big corporation would be capable of doing that or if a private individual could set up a decent beef importing stream for a single private restaurant. One would have the fear that if you ordered something you would never get it because it would never make it thru customs and actually go to you because you would not know how to go about bribing the proper officials to make sure you really got your stuff.

I would take dim sum or noodles over burger anytime.

To each his own. I would take dim sum over say the fast food chains, but home grilled or from a small Mom & Pop burger stand? Boy howdy!

2 GREAT places locally, Redrum Burger in Davis, and The Squease Inn here in Sacramento. Jen loves In & Out, or the steak burger from the Sizzler, but in the interest of keeping her beautiful fiure, she has swore off of those gut bombs.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

Obviously the Carl's is going to be importing their own brand name supplies and beef from the US. I wonder if only a big corporation would be capable of doing that or if a private individual could set up a decent beef importing stream for a single private restaurant. One would have the fear that if you ordered something you would never get it because it would never make it thru customs and actually go to you because you would not know how to go about bribing the proper officials to make sure you really got your stuff.

You can actually get it from suppliers instead of importing directly yourself. Most of the better beef come from Australia, although if you are willing to pay for it, you can also find good Japanese beef (smuggled in with batch number and telephone number to check its origin).

Well, time to go and try it now. Not that I am a bit fan, I told I would check it out for my step son, whose entire life was sustained by junk food on the west coast and is suffering from malnutrition after landed here about two months ago. Amazing how much he loves American food. Had him try the food at our company hotel, 100% imported ingredients cooked by a grumpy french [ ]. He did not like it. Had him try Deda (a local Western joint operating since 1879), he did not like it. Said even KFC and McDonald food don't taste the same. Well, finally had him try Jean Geroge, a michellen rated one on the bund, he still believes that the bay area junk is better. Carl Junior I guess is enjoyed by a lot of people in East Bay area, right?

Mac-D has the formula down, and continues to make major inroads in China.

Yes, their burgers taste not much like the western version----they are by my estimation, much better. their MO is like this: Introduce new products in HK, and if it hits, move it to the mainland. HK thus, becomes the lab-rat for new Chinese products. One big hit in HK---the spicy Chicken---translated particularly well in S. PRC. -----its no where to be found in America.

Sorry TOR's step son has a problem, maybe he needs to just suck it up----and adjust to Chinese fast food---western enterprise is doing all they can to accommodate...

most Americans cant get past burgers, pizza or burritos as good food, they like the comfort zone food.

Do Folks from most other counties like to explore, in my experience , no :P

guess it depends if you have a open mind and tums :D

most Americans cant get past burgers, pizza or burritos as good food, they like the comfort zone food.

Do Folks from most other counties like to explore, in my experience , no :P

That is greatly going to depend on where you are in America. Every region will be different. Here in California we have the luxury of having great representation from all over the world. Like I said earlier, for a good burrito, a good mom & pop place wins hands down. That bean and cheese thing from Taco Bell doesn't count. Hands down, the best pizza locally is from Round Table, if your in a state that does not have RT? Sorry.

Now I agree, as you said about most Americans, it also goes for most Chinese, and for that matter, just about every nationality you could say the same thing. How many of you have had a hard time trying to get your Chinese half to try something new. Hell, I even started a thread here about that.

Do Folks from most other counties like to explore, in my experience , no :D

That is greatly going to depend on where you are in America. Every region will be different. Here in California we have the luxury of having great representation from all over the world. Like I said earlier, for a good burrito, a good mom & pop place wins hands down. That bean and cheese thing from Taco Bell doesn't count. Hands down, the best pizza locally is from Round Table, if your in a state that does not have RT? Sorry.

Now I agree, as you said about most Americans, it also goes for most Chinese, and for that matter, just about every nationality you could say the same thing. How many of you have had a hard time trying to get your Chinese half to try something new. Hell, I even started a thread here about that.

No argument from me mate, I will eat anything thats on the table (well at least they are eating it too) sometimes wonderful, sometimes scary. Most folks wont do that, but really go all the way to China to eat burgers or pizza seems like a reciepe for disaster :P

Do Folks from most other counties like to explore, in my experience , no <_<

No argument from me mate, I will eat anything thats on the table (well at least they are eating it too) sometimes wonderful, sometimes scary. Most folks wont do that, but really go all the way to China to eat burgers or pizza seems like a reciepe for disaster :rolleyes:

With me, there was 2 reasons. My first trip, Jen and I traded nights. she would introduce me to something she liked followed by me showing her something I liked. The best for that was TGI Friday's in Shanghai. For all intent and pourpose, it was the same menu as you would find in the states. Added with that, was a first time novelty of dicovering KFC there. I still find people here that are suprised by that. Other times, it was for the same reason here. We are on the go, and it was fast.

Other than that, I agree with Anthony Bourdain from "No Reservations. He had stated that he pitties the western tourist that stays at the htel and refuses to try the local offerings. The true way to learn about a culture it through the local cuisine. The other thing he sait that I took to heart, was that the greatest honor one could give you was to be invited into their home for a meal, that they have worked hard to provide. The best thing you can do is eat up, and eagerly ask for seconds.

The best thing you can do is eat up, and eagerly ask for seconds.

My wife's cousin tells a story about some relatives of her husband who came over to eat at their house in Idaho and she served ribs and the guests just nibbled the best part of the meat off the ribs and did not make an effort to get all the meat. She was so angry at these people that she said she will never have her husband's cousins over to eat again. I think what happened is not only did they not display the kind of appetite and enthusiasm they should for the honor of being invited over to eat, but they displayed a stupid wastefulness. My wife and her cousin gnaw a rib bone down to the bone. These cousins were the kind of petty, spoiled, superfluous excess population that Chinese people have little patience for. You got to respect the intensity at which the Chinese people live.

Luckily my wife is pretty open to all types of food. I've introduced her to Greek, Mexican, Italian, French, Korean, Japanese, BBQ/Grilling, and a few other 'Made in USA Kitchen,' food from other countries when she arrived.

We've also had various well known fast food. She especially likes KFC and fried chicken in general.

I am in NCal as well and don't feel Round Table is a good representation of pizza. Some stores offer a decent tasting pie, but for quality and value a small mom and pop store should put RT to shame.

In China I kept to street and restaurant food. I love trying different food, styles, and try to eat 'exotic,' stuff like Andrew Zimmer. That guy's probably has a stronger stomach and also gets paid to travel, explore, and eat, so he's got several advantages, but I do my best.

We do have some differences. I love pickled and some sour tastes such as Clausen pickles, Chinese style pickled cucumbers, radishes, etc., or Korean side dish type stuff, but I noticed she may nibble a very small piece, but she doesn't like it.

In China she loved duck tongues, this silk work type thing, fried pigs feet, and some other choice items. I tried every single one, but have to say it was me nibbling or taking one small portion and her happily chowing down.

I pride myself on being a good cook and grill master. We've grilled like crazy, smoked/BBQ'd, and had family and friends over for dinner, while my wife has been more into preparing the Asian style noodles, dumplings, buns, etc.

It works out well, but I have to say both of us are sort of food snobs. We've shared the nasty street food like smelly tofu all the way up to Michelin star restaurants and we compare everything from a cost/pleasure/value viewpoint, if we can prepare it at home and if we can, can we do as good or better.

The best thing you can do is eat up, and eagerly ask for seconds.

My wife's cousin tells a story about some relatives of her husband who came over to eat at their house in Idaho and she served ribs and the guests just nibbled the best part of the meat off the ribs and did not make an effort to get all the meat. She was so angry at these people that she said she will never have her husband's cousins over to eat again. I think what happened is not only did they not display the kind of appetite and enthusiasm they should for the honor of being invited over to eat, but they displayed a stupid wastefulness. My wife and her cousin gnaw a rib bone down to the bone. These cousins were the kind of petty, spoiled, superfluous excess population that Chinese people have little patience for. You got to respect the intensity at which the Chinese people live.

I hate that too. I've found some folks are just reluctant to eat at other people's homes. If they are not in a real restaurant being charged a ton of money they de-value the experience.

Some folks are incredibly picky or just don't like anything being served.

I had one guy who's been to my house 2x for poker/lunch/dinner parties. Both times he brought drinks over - for himself and he refused to touch any food, except a newly opened pack of potato chips. My other guests were chowing down and happy with the food. Couldn't figure out if this one guy just didn't trust food he didn't prepare on his own or perhaps was Jewish and knew nothing was kosher.

Another friend and his entire family doesn't eat leftovers. Once it is prepared and served, that's it. Something newly prepared for the next meal and the leftovers are tossed out.

Always hated this aspect of American culture. You know the society is asking for a wake up call when some people are tossing out leftovers that would be more food than other people in poor nations may see in 3-5 days.