Carls Jr

Anyone use Yelp.com? Looking through the user reviews, I've managed to find several "authentic" Chinese restaurants that pleased my wife. Our favorite is this guy who has a tiny noodle restaurant in a run down strip mall. There's maybe 10 items on the menu, but it's so damn good. He even does shaved noodles!

But Yelp is also good for introducing her to new Western style food. I showed her what great reviews Frank a (hot dog/sausage bar) was getting and she agreed to go even though she said in the past she hates hot dogs. She ended up having "the jackalope" which is antelope and rabbit sausage, huckleberry compote, Sriracha aioli, and applewood chedder. She talked about how incredible it was all day! :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone use Yelp.com? Looking through the user reviews, I've managed to find several "authentic" Chinese restaurants that pleased my wife. Our favorite is this guy who has a tiny noodle restaurant in a run down strip mall. There's maybe 10 items on the menu, but it's so damn good. He even does shaved noodles!

But Yelp is also good for introducing her to new Western style food. I showed her what great reviews Frank a (hot dog/sausage bar) was getting and she agreed to go even though she said in the past she hates hot dogs. She ended up having "the jackalope" which is antelope and rabbit sausage, huckleberry compote, Sriracha aioli, and applewood chedder. She talked about how incredible it was all day! :D

That's awesome. My wife and I both had our first buffalo burgers in AZ about a month ago and we both liked them.

Some of the best ethnic food in the US is like that noodle store you talk about. It's probably run by someone who was making the same stuff in their original country and is an expert at it before coming over here to open their own business.

That jackalope sounds awesome. Would love to try one.

My little grandson that I am always talking about spent a month with me recently and I had a chance to really teach him to eat American foods. The first time he ate a hot dog he started in the middle. He used to take his hamburgers apart to eat them. He never did learn not to pick the toppings off of a pizza and eat them first, but I let him anyway, the only person I've ever let do that! But he did learn to eat a hot dog from the end and how to hold a hamburger to eat it bite by bite. When his time with me was almost up he was talking about going back to China again and he was going to miss American food because "in China, no have hot dog, no have pizza, no have hamburger ...." and I had to reassure him that he will be coming back in a few months and we can eat American food together again. Of course the little fellow may have been just being polite for my sake, because really what he has to look forward to is being with his grandmother my wife who is such a fantastic cook. Perhaps he was a smart guy. At any rate he won't have to eat broccoli-cheese for a while. The last time I served that to him he said "ai-ya broccoli-cheese!" and I laughed about it for a couple of days - his tone of dismay in his voice . Grandpa's cooking does not compare. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I never tried Charles Jr. before and was surprised that it was fast food. Well, as far as fast food goes, it is not bad. Much better than buger king etc. It is in the basement of Raffle City, on the east side of People's Square. The security guard was a pain, he tried to get me to take off my skates.

Heard that within a week of all the expat technical advisors finishing their assignment and leaving Carl's Jr. went out of business / bankrupt.