Ability to communicate thru the language barrier

Yes, we speak different languages.

A red flag because we are not fluent in a common language.

After all, if the VO has to do the interview in Chinese and there is one thing to make a VO suspicious, this proves you can¡¯t communicate. Any more flags and it¡¯s AMF!!

So tell me, those of you were using translators and sign language while separate, now that you live together, how do you think you overcame this?

Did you say that she took a few months of English lessons?

Did you say that we both manage, and it¡¯s OK?

Is there anyone who thinks this issue was the sole reason for white/blue? How did you overcome it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

After all, if the VO has to do the interview in Chinese and there is one thing to make a VO suspicious, this proves you can¡¯t communicate. Any more flags and it¡¯s AMF!!

So tell me, those of you were using translators and sign language while separate, now that you live together, how do you think you overcame this?

Is there anyone who thinks this issue was the sole reason for white/blue? How did you overcome it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

With translators, sign language, and "Chinglish". To date, she could not carry a conversation in English for very long with anyone else, although she goes shopping on her own (usually Macy's or Palais Royal)

It's an individual IO thing. In my opinion, most (if not all) of our SO's should interview in Chinese. Otherwise, they're going to feel awkward, not understand the VO's accent, or get tripped up trying to understand a particular question.

Almost all of them have never been in an English speaking environment - the English they teach in China is not the same.

I would emphasize how you DO communicate - you know enough of each other's languages for most purposes, and can use translators when necessary.

There are VO's who will quickly spout out a sentence of English just to see if she understands - when she doesn't, she gets a blue or white slip. Others are a little more cognizant of the realities here.

My wife knew enough English to say, "My English no good - Putonghua, please"

:D :surrender: :violin4:

Mike, as far as the interview, practive practice those interview questions in the FAQ's. My wife picked out 75 of them and twice a day for three solid months on the phone, and then 2 weeks before her interview in person we practiced them. I threw her curve balls with them and even got nasty with her, trying the VO tactic of getting them shook up so they can't answer.

The interview is very arbitrary...heck, we've seen ladies on here who were english teachers that got blues or white for communication.

Don't "sweat" it , just set your woman up for success, and hope it's her "lucky day". :D

By the way, the interview is supposed to be given in Chinese, ir the beneficiary prefers....that's the DOS's rules...not that that means anything at all. ;) Not in Guangzhou anyway. :crazy:

You'll be fine, she'll get her visa. :lol:

tsap seui

Thanks

Randy W

tsap seui

Once again...I'm snapping out....

I read and reread you guys...

Then I try to cram all the advice down my dolls throat....

And tell her to be calm. (she calms me!!)

My next topic is "How do I overcome the Blue before it turns White?'

:D

I did send her to English class for the past 1/2 year. and we each have a translator. I can only hope for a realistic VO and the denied English teacher was in the CCP!!!

Edited by Mike and Yan (see edit history)

Thanks

Randy W

tsap seui

Once again...I'm snapping out....

I read and reread you guys...

Then I try to cram all the advice down my dolls throat....

And tell her to be calm. (she calms me!!)

My next topic is "How do I overcome the Blue before it turns White?'

:lol:

I did send her to English class for the past 1/2 year. and we each have a translator. I can only hope for a realistic VO and the denied English teacher was in the CCP!!!

Sorry Mike, asking a question regarding people who speak common language. How do I get around that? Last time I went to ACH and they said ok then at the interview they question her where the heck i learn my chinese from? All my ancestor are from China but this VO did not believe my wife.

Joe

:lol: :P :P

With translators, sign language, and "Chinglish". To date, she could not carry a conversation in English for very long with anyone else, although she goes shopping on her own (usually Macy's or Palais Royal)

It's an individual IO thing. In my opinion, most (if not all) of our SO's should interview in Chinese. Otherwise, they're going to feel awkward, not understand the VO's accent, or get tripped up trying to understand a particular question.

Almost all of them have never been in an English speaking environment - the English they teach in China is not the same.

I would emphasize how you DO communicate - you know enough of each other's languages for most purposes, and can use translators when necessary.

There are VO's who will quickly spout out a sentence of English just to see if she understands - when she doesn't, she gets a blue or white slip. Others are a little more cognizant of the realities here.

My wife knew enough English to say, "My English no good - Putonghua, please"

Thats sounds good in theory Randy, "If" you are lucky enough to get one that is fluent in Chinese.....Rong wanted to do hers in English, but "M" wouldn't have it.....I guess was M's day to practice up on her pu tong hua.....Rong had one heck of a time trying to understand M....had to ask M too many times to repeat herself because she couldn't understand what she was trying to ask....so, it just basically boils down to what language the applicant is comfortable with and the fluency of the VO in Mandarin

Thats sounds good in theory Randy, "If" you are lucky enough to get one that is fluent in Chinese.....Rong wanted to do hers in English, but "M" wouldn't have it.....I guess was M's day to practice up on her pu tong hua.....Rong had one heck of a time trying to understand M....had to ask M too many times to repeat herself because she couldn't understand what she was trying to ask....so, it just basically boils down to what language the applicant is comfortable with and the fluency of the VO in Mandarin

I would think that basic communication skills would be a requirement for every VO - I guess GUZ feels otherwise.

What an embarrassment to have a VO who doesn't realize her own lack of language skills

Well, yes - the luck is entirely in getting a VO who is willing to try to communicate with the applicant. This single issue - communication between the VO and applicant - has sent more than a few interviews in the wrong direction, and unnerved more than one visa applicant.

I would think that basic communication skills would be a requirement for every VO - I guess GUZ feels otherwise.

What an embarrassment to have a VO who doesn't realize her own lack of language skills

Well, yes - the luck is entirely in getting a VO who is willing to try to communicate with the applicant. This single issue - communication between the VO and applicant - has sent more than a few interviews in the wrong direction, and unnerved more than one visa applicant.

The language barrier caused our white slip in a sense because when the VO asked how we communicated, my then fiancee answered that she spoke a little english and that I spoke a little chinese. This was totally the wrong answer. We communicated by chat and email which was all typing. :lol: At the second interview, she was asked the same question and she replied correctly that time and we got the visa.

I really don't think it is how well you communicate as much as it is telling exactly how you do communicate. Let's face it, a lot gets lost in the communication especially in the first few years of the relationship.

Hi Mike and Yan,

Randy, chilton747, and the rest are right............ :roller:

I have put in what I wrote in my EOR letter when I submitted my I-130 and I-129F to USCIS for K3 and than I followed up with an "update" Evolution of Marital relationship for Ling's interview.

"We bought an electronic translator in the beginning to help our communication but now only use it when detailed questions are asked.

It is note worthy that Ling and I could even at first meeting communicate in simple English. This was because Ling had a fair grasp of written English that she could understand me. For communication we use a combination of spoken English, written English on a note pad and for detailed questions an electronic translator."

Now Ling and I pretty much speak in English, but we still use the electronic translator every once in awhile and if both of us are confused,, I will write the question out on paper.

For the interview,,I requested at ACH and ACS that because my wife was nervous that she be allowed to interview in Chinese.

You might not get what you ask for but you can request and they are suppose to give the interview in whatever the person feels most comfortable with,,but you can only hope.

chilton747 is right about this.......... :happy2: :bangin: :bleh: :shutup:

"I really don't think it is how well you communicate as much as it is telling exactly how you do communicate. Let's face it, a lot gets lost in the communication especially in the first few years of the relationship."

There are certain things that Chinese have a hard time pronouncing

Like certain letters and My Ling still has a hard time saying "zero"... :P :harhar1: :Dah: :P :CopBust: :smoker:

Tom and Ling

Hi Mike and Yan,

Randy, chilton747, and the rest are right............ :roller:

I have put in what I wrote in my EOR letter when I submitted my I-130 and I-129F to USCIS for K3 and than I followed up with an "update" Evolution of Marital relationship for Ling's interview.

"We bought an electronic translator in the beginning to help our communication but now only use it when detailed questions are asked.

It is note worthy that Ling and I could even at first meeting communicate in simple English. This was because Ling had a fair grasp of written English that she could understand me. For communication we use a combination of spoken English, written English on a note pad and for detailed questions an electronic translator."

Now Ling and I pretty much speak in English, but we still use the electronic translator every once in awhile and if both of us are confused,, I will write the question out on paper.

For the interview,,I requested at ACH and ACS that because my wife was nervous that she be allowed to interview in Chinese.

You might not get what you ask for but you can request and they are suppose to give the interview in whatever the person feels most comfortable with,,but you can only hope.

chilton747 is right about this.......... :happy2: :bangin: :bleh: :shutup:

"I really don't think it is how well you communicate as much as it is telling exactly how you do communicate. Let's face it, a lot gets lost in the communication especially in the first few years of the relationship."

Like certain letters and My Ling still has a hard time saying "zero"... :P :harhar1: :Dah: :P :CopBust: :smoker:

Tom and Ling

This is hilarious: My wife will not even try to pronounce "zero" she uses "Ling".

We had the same language issues too, and got blue on initial interview. In our overcome letters, we stated that we speak mostly english (because my Chinese sucks). We also make sure to say that we communicate mostly by telephone and email. I think if you state that if your comunication is by telephone they know you must be talking/communicating in some language. You also need to show evidence of phone records, and emails if you also communicate this way. We also stated that my wife was enrolled in an elglish class, and provided the receipt for this. Lastly I wrote in my letter that my wife comes from a city that does not have many English speaking people and that she needed to be immersed in the language to learn, and the only way to do this was for us to be together, on the same side of the planet.

I have heard others say that the VO knows before you arrive if you are getting pink/blue/white. This fact that you can speak a little English might sway the vote towards pink.

I have a feeling there is also a lot of luck too, which VO you get, what side of the bed they got out of that day.

Best of luck to you, and all CFL members too.

Ning and Jim...

This is hilarious: My wife will not even try to pronounce "zero" she uses "Ling".

Best of luck to you, and all CFL members too.

Ning and Jim...

Hi Ning and Jim,

Ling pronounces "zero" as "Zit.....Row" but she is getting better at it.. :) :offtopic: :harhar1: :coolthumb:

The Chinese also have a hard time with the "R" sound and a few other letters, but in the Chinese language some of those letters are pronounced "soft".

But she is learning...... :smartass: :cheering:

Tom and Ling

The language barrier caused our white slip in a sense because when the VO asked how we communicated, my then fiancee answered that she spoke a little english and that I spoke a little chinese. This was totally the wrong answer. We communicated by chat and email which was all typing. :lol: At the second interview, she was asked the same question and she replied correctly that time and we got the visa.

WELL....WHAT DID SHE SAY???? :D :D :D PLEASE!!

I really don't think it is how well you communicate as much as it is telling exactly how you do communicate. Let's face it, a lot gets lost in the communication especially in the first few years of the relationship.

Hi Mike and Yan,

"...... For communication we use a combination of spoken English, written English on a note pad and for detailed questions an electronic translator."

Like certain letters and My Ling still has a hard time saying "zero"... :lol: :D :P :P :D :D

Tom and Ling

YOU MAKE EXCELLENT POINT, I think.

now if I can translate that ......

I think you all are helping me out..

VERY APPRECIATED