Places to see in Hong Kong

I am off to GUZ on 7/4 for a 7/9 interview, we anticipate having some free time to possibly visit HK, so we would like to know about any sights that you think are a must see, or any other experience you had in HK

Thanks

usaRichard

couple links:

clubbing and dancing

http://www.hkclubbing.com/option,com_zoom/Itemid,132.html

recommended spots

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/usa/index.jsp

i wish i was back in hk, there is so much places to go and see, especially the food in hong kong. i can't find the food website in hong kong, but look for dai pai dongs, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai_pai_dong good luck and have fun!!!

I love the SoHo area. Fun to walk it, eat, hit the bars. There are some great galleries and antique shops around there to browse in too. I've stayed at the Central Park hotel in the area twice now. Small, clean and around $120 a night IIRC.

You may as well go to Hong Kong, it's only a 1/2 hour flight from CAN to HKG I loved a little hotel on Silver Mine Beach (65U$D) and next to the ferry across the bay. Check out Kowloon for food and clubs...and it's not far from the big Buddha, a must see. Also if you haven't had enough Buddha there is the Ten Thousand Buddha monastery just a little ways by train as is the Stanley Market where they sell everything. HKG is a cool place and little language barrier. Have fun! :huh:

A night tour of Hong Kong harbor and a visit to Victoria Peak are musts.

You need to make sure she can get into Hong Kong before you go there. Unless she has a US Visa and an airplane ticket departing from Hong Kong within seven days of entry or acquires a permit ($35 or so) from her home town she won't be able to enter.

I remember purchasing an airline ticket from Guilin to Hong Kong for my then SO to meet me at the HK airport, at a cost of about $250. She could not use the ticket and it was non-refundable. She had to fly into Shenzhen and then make the entry at the border with a permit from Guilin.

You need to make sure she can get into Hong Kong before you go there. Unless she has a US Visa and an airplane ticket departing from Hong Kong within seven days of entry or acquires a permit ($35 or so) from her home town she won't be able to enter.

I remember purchasing an airline ticket from Guilin to Hong Kong for my then SO to meet me at the HK airport, at a cost of about $250. She could not use the ticket and it was non-refundable. She had to fly into Shenzhen and then make the entry at the border with a permit from Guilin.

Right. And we found that printed e-tickets do work, but we had a slight delay at the border for a simple interrogation. They were cool with everything once we went inside and chatted with someone at a desk.

I have applied for the permit and I will get in 15 working days.

HK is a great.

Also if you book you departure out of HK, you might save some on the airfare. Vry modern, high speed train from GZ (East rail station) directly into HK, and much less hassle leaving China and entering HK than by bus (bus is the cheapest, but the longest, and most hassle) Train is less expensive than flying, of course. Pre-book your place of stay, and I suggest Kowloon, rather than HK island, since it is closer to the HK train station, and you will need to take a cab.

Yes, the next day, you should take the star ferry across to HK---one of Asia's best bargains--- last time I rode, (two years ago) it was still about a dime. And Ride the double decker trollies, also cheap. But for my tastes, and probably your SO's the best deals are still on Kowloon.

My recommendations: Temple street night market. Ladies Market (big hit with SO, and you get to look like a 'big spender' without much outlay---(Tung Choi St.) ----and further up Tung Choi St. a local favorite: "Fish market" ----but its not a fish market as we know it----its LIVE fish from all over the world---pets! Beautiful gold fish, Koi, tropical fish, and Marine fishes----store after store, both sides of the street! to my taste, just very spectacular---

We used sort of breezed through HK last time. It was our flying into and out of China place. Couldn't visit the club scene as we had our one year old with us. So we went to the Tian Tan Buddist temple as we basically only had an afternoon. It was well worth the visit. MTR (Mass Transit Rail) makes getting around very easy and inexpensive.

The only reason for us not going through Hong Kong next time is because we want to see Beijing. Flying in/out of Hong Kong is great. Many hotels have a shuttle to/from the airport. Flights from Hong Kong to the rest of China are quite expensive since it is considered an international flight. You can solve this problem by taking the shuttle to Shenzhen Airport and catch a domestic flight. This is how we got to Nanning.

enjoy...

Some good suggestions already. I can only echo must see Big Bhudda or Ngong Ping on Lantau Island, Victoria Peak on Hong Kong, shopping in Kowloon, THE FOOD ANYWHERE - AWESOME, try the fish balls, yummo, they're not what they sound like...lol...if you have half a day or so, OceanPark is a great place too. Amuzement park kind of place, but the setting and views are breath taking and cheap by US standards. One note, I would take a pass on HK Disneyland, just not quite up to par yet, small, not many rides and pretty pricey. Enjoy Hong Kong, IMO one of the greatest cities in the world...especially the FOOD...

Guest jin979

Shopping is very fun. some good places to visit as said, food is mainly cantonese as such sweet in its flavor. and not spicey. Kowloon is good for cheap hotels.

Hong Kong is expensive. worth a visit. cheaper with better food is Shenzhen.