2 STRIKES

Here's the lastest sports fans.........ANOTHER DENIAL @ HK this has been an experience for sure. Got to the Consulate and the only one allowed upstairs was the wife, I was fit to be tied. About an hour later they came down for me. They had taken some docs and pics from the wife before I was upstairs. Only about 5 for interviews, just a room with chairs like a gallery and 4 tellers windows (bullet proof) where they conducted first part of interview. Everyone heard your business and very unprofessional. We were the last, they asked the wife up to the window and they started to ask wife questions in Chinese. They asked if she could answer in English, she said no. Then the questions came hot and furious, she stood there for an hour, question after question. They asked me if i could speak chinese I said very little, they were a little pissed and asked how we understood each other. I said after 4 years we know each other more than you think. That ended that. Then they went to have a pow wow and the lady brought re-enforcements a man. Asked the wife to step inside an office without me and started grilling her again. They came out and said to me because wife knows little english and I know hardly no chineseNO GO. Plus they pulled from the wife we married in HK to interview in HK, well that was a no no. So they denied right then and there and said go to GUZ with the I-130. which they had no record of in computer. Since no ties to HK thats the route to go. The man even came out and spoke several sentences in chinese real quickly to me. I went duh

So the moral of the story is, if the significant other cannot speak at least 50% english and understand it, and you cannot speak at least 30% chinese, and you have no ties to HK, you wil not get a petition there FOR SURE.

I am glad I have the I-130 still in the kicker, al I have to do to start that is send in the $70.

HK is strickly ENGLISH all the way.

Thats it from Shenzhen for now......I need a break to relax after this one. over and out

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the lastest sports fans.........ANOTHER DENIAL @ HK this has been an experience for sure. Got to the Consulate and the only one allowed upstairs was the wife, I was fit to be tied. About an hour later they came down for me. They had taken some docs and pics from the wife before I was upstairs. Only about 5 for interviews, just a room with chairs like a gallery and 4 tellers windows (bullet proof) where they conducted first part of interview. Everyone heard your business and very unprofessional. We were the last, they asked the wife up to the window and they started to ask wife questions in Chinese. They asked if she could answer in English, she said no. Then the questions came hot and furious, she stood there for an hour, question after question. They asked me if i could speak chinese I said very little, they were a little pissed and asked how we understood each other. I said after 4 years we know each other more than you think. That ended that. Then they went to have a pow wow and the lady brought re-enforcements a man. Asked the wife to step inside an office without me and started grilling her again. They came out and said to me because wife knows little english and I know hardly no chineseNO GO. Plus they pulled from the wife we married in HK to interview in HK, well that was a no no. So they denied right then and there and said go to GUZ with the I-130. which they had no record of in computer. Since no ties to HK thats the route to go. The man even came out and spoke several sentences in chinese real quickly to me. I went duh

So the moral of the story is, if the significant other cannot speak at least 50% english and understand it, and you cannot speak at least 30% chinese, and you have no ties to HK, you wil not get a petition there FOR SURE.

I am glad I have the I-130 still in the kicker, al I have to do to start that is send in the $70.

Thats it from Shenzhen for now......I need a break to relax after this one. over and out

Thanks for the post my friend I'm sure you really didn't feel like after that round of B.S. I've been waiting to hear how it went, this was the last thing that I expected. Was the VO in the wheel chair their?

Damn, I am so sorry to hear this. You guys have certainly had your share of BS from the American government. I empathise with you, buddy.

I truly hope your I-130 brings you good luck in Guangzhou.

tsap seui

Brokenheart, I am very sad to hear what happened in Hong Kong. I was surprised to read that you were not allowed to attend with your wife-at least from the beginning, because that was what we had been told was allowed there. I had heard a rumour that there was at least one male consulate officer in HK that did not like people interviewing there instead of in in GUZ but the HK interviews were touted as being maybe more in depth, but also more fairly conducted.

What specific reasons for refusal did they write on your denial slip? Was it the old 'not a bona fide relationship'?

Well, obviously we will have to talk to our SO's about answering the question of why we interviewed in HK...

I'm really sorry to hear of your experience. I had thought it would be more of a positive experience than it was.

Splinterman

i'm sorry that that happen.

i'm planning to have my interview in HK..

according to your interview - it look like they rejected you for the following reasons

- can't communicate with each other in fluent english.

- having your marriage in HK to interview there ( have no ties in HK what so ever )

is that correct ?

i really don't understand whay is it a big deal if one get marry in HK or not?

1- due to exchange rate, HK is much cheaper

2- HK is a nicer place to get married

3 - U.S. is all about Freedom, so why they bitching where u get married.

i can understand the communication part. if u can't communicate with your wife (in english, and u hardly speak chinese) after 4 years of marriage. that's will look very awakard.

( i know i'm going to get flame by the last statment.. but that's the truth )

Edited by benc (see edit history)

i can understand the communication part. if u can't communicate with your wife (in english, and u hardly speak chinese) after 4 years of marriage. that's will look very awakard.

I don't think you should get flamed.

People come here to the boards to learn how to avoid blue/white slips.

Not being able to verbally communicate is a big deal to the visa officers.

That is not news to anyone, and it is an avoidable issue.

In the scope of a normal 1 year visa process, the Chinese partner could go to English class, the English speaker could go to Chinese class.

In 4 years, I think I would have my doubts too as a visa officer.

People should prepare for the interview, and a common language is just one of those points they should prepare for.

At very least, both people should be able to whip out their pocket translators, and say, we use these when we can not communicate other non-verbal ways.

Brokenheart,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I remember you well, because we waited for P1+P2 together sometimes back in 2008. I'm very sad to hear that your HK interview didn't go well.

I went to the HK Consulate few times in the past. The staff there seem to be pretty friendly, but not very helpful. Even when I ask something that is not related specifically to my petitions, just general procedure, they would not answer.

Good to know at least your I-130 route is still open. I hope your next round will be smooth. I will log onto CFL from time to time to see your news.

GOOD LUCK!!!

WHERE you get married does not affect your relationship in any way - whether it's China, or Hong Kong, it's either 'bona fide' or not, regardless.

I see this in two ways - you're following the law. The law says if you get married in Hong Kong, you interview for a K-3 in Hong Kong. No other choice. No law has ever been drafted to tell you where you can or can't get married.

If they want to prevent 'consulate shopping', maybe they need to address that in the INA.

The other way I see this is that HK is adopting some GUZ-like tactics. I'm very sorry that you had to be the guinea pig to find this out.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

WHERE you get married does not affect your relationship in any way - whether it's China, or Hong Kong, it's either 'bona fide' or not, regardless.

I see this in two ways - you're following the law. The law says if you get married in Hong Kong, you interview for a K-3 in Hong Kong. No other choice. No law has ever been drafted to tell you where you can or can't get married.

If they want to prevent 'consulate shopping', maybe they need to address that in the INA.

The other way I see this is that HK is adopting some GUZ-like tactics. I'm very sorry that you had to be the guinea pig to find this out.

Randy, I think your latter assessment is most plausible.

I think one would have to be naive to think that the DOS folks at HK would not have meetings with, comprehensive information sharing with, and/or mutual in-service training with the DOS folks at GUZ, wherein both venues would thus be on the same sheet of music.

To have such a big gap/disparity of policy differences between these two entities would provide too big a hole to slip through, for those who are truly intent on fraud.