Please help us!!!!!!!!!!

My husband & I are filing our taxes jointly (form 1040) which needs my signature on the form. My question is do you have any experience or knowledge if my husband can email the 1040, and then I print, sign, and scan it back to him.

Husband called the IRS and all they could tell him is that publication 501 says that both the wife and the husband must sign, but no mention if a scaned sig was acceptable.

As you know husband needs to send the tax reurn to the IRS and along with form I-864.

Husband has got my w-7 form with my original signature and my notarized copy of my bio page of my passport at his hand.

Another question is does my hsuabnd have to fill out my last year's income in China? I am still living and working in China waiting for visa.

Thank you for your answering.

Amanda

Edited by amanda1969 (see edit history)
My husband & I are filing our taxes jointly (form 1040) which needs my signature on the form. My question is do you have any experience or knowledge if my husband can email the 1040, and then I print, sign, and scan it back to him.

Husband called the IRS and all they could tell him is that publication 501 says that both the wife and the husband must sign, but no mention if a scaned sig was acceptable.

As you know husband needs to send the tax reurn to the IRS and along with form I-864.

Husband has got my w-7 form with my original signature and my notarized copy of my bio page of my passport at his hand.

Another question is does my hsuabnd have to fill out my last year's income in China? I am still living and working in China waiting for visa.

Thank you for your answering.

Amanda

Amanda,

Same problems my wife and I have had in the past. You can scan it, but husband needs a limited Power of Attorney, etc, etc for the scan and for official signature purposes.

May I suggest two ways?

1) File an extension with IRS, and your husband mail it registered mail with a cover letter stating why you are filing late.

2 ) Fedex out of China or wherever.

My wife and I have had this problem and have used both methods with good success. If in the case of an upcoming interview, etc, use the FedEx method if time is of essence. Your husband can have any filings notarized in the US and sent to you and be there in five days or less.

Dave

Frankly, I would just go to taxslayer.com and pay $9.95 to electronically file. No signatures needed from either party. I have not had to actually sign a return in quite a few years. And once filed, you can get a transcript from the IRS to go with the I-864, which I understand is actually preferred to a copy of your actual tax return...

Frankly, I would just go to taxslayer.com and pay $9.95 to electronically file. No signatures needed from either party. I have not had to actually sign a return in quite a few years. And once filed, you can get a transcript from the IRS to go with the I-864, which I understand is actually preferred to a copy of your actual tax return...

Hmm !!!!! A good idea

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do actually use the service. Lazy me just got around to actually submitting to file, at 7:57 PM last night. As of 11:54 AM this morning, the IRS had accepted the electronically filed return. At this point, I can request a transcript, which will likely arrive next week...

I wasn't in a hurry to file, as I own money. I will still wait until April 15 to mail the check :roller:

They can't e-file with the W-7! the paper file must be mailed to the Austin, TX address. Amanda, you must sign the 1040 and mail it back to him. You should sign a copy of the state tax form also, if there is one. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

Correct, and BTW Florida has no state income tax :(

thanks to the person who answered my PM

Amanda and Richard, this is from Publication 17 on the IRS website:

Signing a joint return. For a return to be considered a joint return, both husband and wife generally must sign the return.

Spouse away from home. If your spouse is away from home, you should prepare the return, sign it, and send it to your spouse to sign so that it can be filed on time.

Other reasons spouse cannot sign. If your spouse cannot sign the joint return for any other reason, you can sign for your spouse only if you are given a valid power of attorney (a legal document giving you permission to act for your spouse). Attach the power of attorney (or a copy of it) to your tax return. You can use Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative.

Nonresident alien or dual-status alien. A joint return generally cannot be filed if either spouse is a nonresident alien at any time during the tax year. However, if one spouse was a nonresident alien or dual-status alien who was married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year, the spouses can choose to file a joint return. If you do file a joint return, you and your spouse are both treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year. For information on this choice, see chapter 1 of Publication 519.

I don't know, Mike, but since it says to attach the power of attorney or a copy of it, they are not insisting on an original signature.

From a personal point of view I see no difference between attaching a copy of a fax or pdf signed document, and attaching a copy of the original document itself. A CPA or someone who practices tax law would know better than me, though. I am just reading and taking the IRS Publication at face value.