usually 60 to 90 days

Thanks Randy, Man she is not going to like my answer. I told her maybe 30 days and she thought that was a long time. Maybe I can talk her into a nice new 50cc chopper. After 90 days I could ride it, I could use one at the track anyway. :lol:

Check your state's requirements, though. Jiaying was able to get her DL and EAD cards on the same day

Hello fellow CFLers

If entering the USA on K3 and having a current Chinese drivers license how long would it take to obtain an American drivers license. I asked my local BMV branch today and they have no clue. :lol:

For you and maybe others who read this; all of this depends on the rules/law of the state in which you live.

In California, the SSN is only required for those trying to obtain the Commercial Driver License.

All others must only show proof of 'Legal Presence' in our state/US. See the excerpt below:

The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature.

State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

US Birth Certificate

US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad

•Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree

INS American Indian Card

•Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory

US Passport

US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)

•Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)

•Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

•Northern Mariana Card

INS US Citizen ID Card

•Permanent Resident Card

•Temporary Resident Identification Card

•Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate

•Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card

•Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)

•Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority

•Employment Authorization Card

•Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit

•Refugee travel document

•"Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport

•Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP

•Immigration judge¡¯s order granting asylum

•Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction......

In California, if you have a Chinese drivers license, they will issue you a 60 day temporary drivers license which can be renewed 6 times up to a year from original date. I would definitely check her out in a empty parking lot before letting her loose with your car though. Chinese standards for issuing drivers licenses are highly questionable.

In California, if you have a Chinese drivers license, they will issue you a 60 day temporary drivers license which can be renewed 6 times up to a year from original date. I would definitely check her out in a empty parking lot before letting her loose with your car though. Chinese standards for issuing drivers licenses are highly questionable.

Agree strongly!

My sweet wife has never had a license and we are starting on the study portion for written test for Learners Permit. Tough challenge. She must translate study material and not sure when she will be ready to take test. Mass-transit is the pits down here and can't say I want to see my sweet wife driving on the same roads as some of these nuts down here!

Good luck. : )

My wife had her friend in NYC send her a drivers manual from NY that was in Chinese. And she took the practice tests on the DMV website over and over. She showed her Chinese DL when we went to get the LP, and they did not want to give her the LP. Later after 2 tries, she passed the test and got the DL.

My wife had her friend in NYC send her a drivers manual from NY that was in Chinese. And she took the practice tests on the DMV website over and over. She showed her Chinese DL when we went to get the LP, and they did not want to give her the LP. Later after 2 tries, she passed the test and got the DL.

Thank you. I will begin searching for Learners Permit study materials in Chinese. Did so in the past, and Driver License website did not have anything in Chinese, but I will continue to look.

Wish the written test could be taken online as in the past!