Only 10% get visas?

Hello all,

I am new here, and first of all, I would like to thank all the people who post here for sharing all their stories, concerns and advice.

My SO is currently having her medical exam in Guangzhou. Aparently she was told by an embassy employee, that only 10% of interviewees end up with a visa. This number seems extremely low to me. I am hoping that she was either misinformed or misunderstood.

Does anyone here have a general idea about what percentage of people get their visas. I would like to be able to reassure her as her daughter will turn 20 on Dec. 16 and she is quite worried about any major delays.

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be true for tourist visas. Most K visas and CR-1 visas get approved eventually.

Very true, getting a visitor's visa out of China can be hard immigrant intent is highly suspected for visitor's.

Since K-Visas, and Immigrant visas are with the intent to immigrate the approval numbers are very much higher.

My apologies, but - unless it was a phone call, she has yet to talk to an 'embassy employee' face to face.

They WON'T TALK TO HER until she's INSIDE the building on her interview day.

Anyone NOT on the 5th floor, is not an 'embassy employee' .

The Medical Personnel are not in the Consulate Building, and they are NOT 'embassy employees' .

There is a building security guard team that 'lines em up' in the morning, then a consulate security guard that checks the appointment letter,

then they are 'herded' up to the 4th floor, and another check is done by a consulate security team.

I'd bet you your last 4 months income that she, instead, talked to one of the MANY touts on floors 1-3, who try to haul in business to the immigration attornies on those floors.

As to her daughter turning 20 soon, I'm sorry - you're linking this how? Some 'Follow to Join' ? What type of Visa is your SO applying for, and was the daughter included in any paperwork at all?

Care to Bet? I'd be happy to be wrong.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Hello all,

I am new here, and first of all, I would like to thank all the people who post here for sharing all their stories, concerns and advice.

My SO is currently having her medical exam in Guangzhou. Aparently she was told by an embassy employee, that only 10% of interviewees end up with a visa. This number seems extremely low to me. I am hoping that she was either misinformed or misunderstood.

Does anyone here have a general idea about what percentage of people get their visas. I would like to be able to reassure her as her daughter will turn 20 on Dec. 16 and she is quite worried about any major delays.

Thanks

Tom

My wife got denied a k3 visa,but while i feel this whole process is a joke and a game,i just think that figure is way too low,maybe the other way around,10 % do not recieve a visa.

Jimi

Thanks for the replies.

First off, no bets, I need my money for airline tickets. I do think she was being misinformed. Now I have a few good points to help calm her jitters. I know I would not put myself through the heartache on a 10% chance. So maybe a little game to help boost her confidence. Maybe some people could give me odds if I give you some particulars. If this is out of line give me a short and simple smackdown. Otherwise our particulars are:

positives (I hope)

I'm 49yo Yan is 47yo.

Both have only one previous marriage. about 20 years each.

Both divorced over 4 years.

My income is sufficient, I have a house and zero debt.

I have made three trips to China to be with her.

We talk almost every day (sometimes twice a day) I have 4 months worth of phone records

We have an attorney helping to make sure we do the paperwork right.

We love each other very much.

Negetives (I fear)

She has no computer access, so no emails since March.

No snail mail.

I am self employed, so no W-2 or Employer letter.

We have a few pictures, but due my camera shyness did not take near enough with me in them.

Thats all I can think of but can share more if prompted. I just don't know what all the possible hitches might be

Thanks

Tom

If you are self employed, then you at least have the tax transcripts to show, yes ?

If she did the medical last week, are you implying she has an interview coming up this week?

What is the visa type ?

Have you filed any paperwork on the daughter ?

By chance was this "embassy employee" mopping the floor... :huh: 10% is ridiculously low...maybe the mopper was in the employ of an "immigration attorney"... :rolleyes: Just relax and follow all the great advice around here and you don't have to worry... :D

My thoughts exactly.

Even if accurate statistics regarding successful petitions were available: It wouldn't matter would it? We would still do everything in our power to be together with our loved ones.

There are some stats available on VJ. If I understand correctly: Of 81 K1 records from GUZ; 31 are pending and 50 have received the visa. I'm no statistician, but that sounds like a 100% success rate for people who have done their 'homework'.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" (The Wizard of OZ) Just move forward, gather information and advice from those who have gone before, think positively, and succeed. :victory:

If you are self employed, then you at least have the tax transcripts to show, yes ?

If she did the medical last week, are you implying she has an interview coming up this week?

What is the visa type ?

Have you filed any paperwork on the daughter ?

I sent her two years of tax transcripts. Her medical was today, interview Jan 5 08. We are trying for K-1. Her daughter is included in the paperwork. The biggest concern is her daughter turning 20 in two days. We can't afford a lot of long delays. I don't think she will have a problem with the interview but I'm trying to find every bit of encouragement I can for her. Again I thank everyone for their replies

I sent her two years of tax transcripts. Her medical was today, interview Jan 5 08. We are trying for K-1. Her daughter is included in the paperwork. The biggest concern is her daughter turning 20 in two days. We can't afford a lot of long delays. I don't think she will have a problem with the interview but I'm trying to find every bit of encouragement I can for her. Again I thank everyone for their replies

The law (INA) reads that the daughter must APPLY for AOS before she becomes 21. The USCIS has been known to questionably read into that law that the INTERVIEW must take place before she becomes 21, like they did for our case.

Shouldn't be a problem for you - just get that AOS application in after you are married.

...Aparently she was told by.... that.....
You can just fill in the blanks here and be prepared for much more of this.

I call it the "Somebody Syndrome." As, in Somebody (and, it doesn't matter who) told your g/f, wife/ SO Something. That somebody is all knowing, omniscient and infallible.

Further, it doesn't matter what the subject is. From CFL known 'facts' to immigration law through how and what to file and when, even how to speak English that Somebody will be your Achilles.

We, on the other hand are mere mortals. Do your best to become her one and most trusted 'somebody.'

Getting your facts and reassurances here on CFL is a good start.