American Airlines or United

Which is better to fly into Shanghai? I have never flown these 2 international. I have always flown Northwest or Delta. I like Northwest alot, Delta lost my luggage so I am not to fond of them. I did get it back, just was an inconvenience.

Just wanting to know which is the better airlines of the two? Thanks.

As you probably know: United has a direct flight to Shanghai from Chicago. I've taken that a couple times. It's one of the fastest routes for me.

I've never tried American & don't know their route or schedule.

Any 13 hour flight is an abysmal experience. I even tried business class once (much better, but it's still a killer).

I've flown Chicago to Shanghai once and Chicago to Beijing twice with United. I have no complaints; I like United. I've never flown American to China, but I have used them a couple times to fly to Europe. I also have no complaints with American.

Either way, the worst part is probably gonna be the long flight time.

Yep, flown Chicago (ORD) to Shanghai (PVG) United flight 835 two times.

NON Stop service Boeing 777 very comfortable, last time I flew the plane was 1/3 full, so could lay down in the seats.

I flew American and United out of ORD and I thought they were both pretty much the same.

I may have had one more meal with American :) but like Richard says..."Any 13 hour flight is an abysmal experience" :V:

( If I get a choice :lol: in the future ) I will always look for the faster or most direct route... even if it costs a little more!

As you probably know: United has a direct flight to Shanghai from Chicago. I've taken that a couple times. It's one of the fastest routes for me.

I've never tried American & don't know their route or schedule.

Any 13 hour flight is an abysmal experience. I even tried business class once (much better, but it's still a killer).

i have taken american airlines to Shanghai three times from chicago no problems just a long flight 13 hours

Which is better to fly into Shanghai? I have never flown these 2 international. I have always flown Northwest or Delta. I like Northwest alot, Delta lost my luggage so I am not to fond of them. I did get it back, just was an inconvenience.

Just wanting to know which is the better airlines of the two? Thanks.

I have taken United from San Francisco to Shanghai and it is around 9 and a half to 10 hours. They have old 747's that fly that route and I would suggest upgrading to Economy Plus for $130 more. Like the rest have said any flight for a long time is horrible.

I have also taken China Eastern Airlines from LAX to Shanghai. They are the cheapest I feel but the flight is 13 hours.

I prefer United because of the shorter flight and because it is easier to accrue mileage points with them too.

Rahm,

Just to add my two fen, I have flown both airlines round trips, approximately 8 (2 w/American & 6 w/United) times, both flying to Pudong International (Shanghai) and Beijing International.

Three times out of Chicago and 5 times out of Los Angeles. IMHO, United seemed to be far more traveler efficient and/or friendly than American.

Several times, due to my size and a few frequent trips (frequent mileage) I was upgraded from coach to Business class, without my even asking. This decision was made at the check-in points and I wasn't even aware of it, until I was paged and informed of it. AA has never done this once.

At debarkation points, United usually had "guides" all along the way to ensure travelers got to where they needed to go. On this point alone, I know that AA had fewer than one or two. Employees on the China side of the house, really seemed friendly and very customer oriented. This was a fact that my wife mentioned when she flew from Beijing to Chicago by herself. The first time as a K3 immigrant and the second time on vacation. The first time she was very nervous and had troubles understanding the Customs declaration. A United stewardess asked her to wait a few minutes, and later returned to help her fill forms out, answered her questions, etc, etc. My wife really appreciated this. Needless to say, you can guess which airline my wife chooses and states is the best!

AA does have cheaper prices, most esp. with the ANA network, which AA and several other airlines have a major a major hub at Narita International (Tokyo) and Kimpo International (Seoul), thereby having good computer connections to route customers around, make continuing flight connections with, and finally reducing overall costs.

United IMHO and observations, focuses on obtaining customers, not losing baggage, reducing flight delays to an absolute minimum (I have had only one flight ETA thrown off and that was due to weather conditions, that no one could have controlled), establishing rapport with travelers in order to have repeat business.

Now! The bad part! United has a tenure system among the air crews. The more senior the employee, they have tenure and are able to get long flights and more money in their paycheck! At the risk of sounding sexist, there is no way I would want to join the "mile-high" club with United stewardesses.

I usually take two sleeping pills and a shot of Jack Daniels, tell the stewardess/cabin attendant not to wake me, unless the plane is going down and/or on major meals and finally give them a wake-up time for me! I did this on one flight and the attendant woke me on the requested time. She scared the shit out of me when I see a concerned, albeit a "face that only mother loved,"awaking me!

In short; Myself and my wife would both personally would opt for United.

With the worsening US economy, My wife and myself have begun using Chinese travel agents in the San Diego area. Their prices were approximately $300 to $400 dollars cheaper that the airlines we are discussing.

However, concessions were made. I will take my wife to LAX via private auto, and she will fly from LAX to Beijing on China Air. We have never done this before. Please understand in many trips I have made into China, I have never had one single problem with China Air domestically. From LAX to China? Now this is something we are both wondering about! However, the price was very good; $825 round-trip from LAX to Beijing, and final leg from Beijing to Chengdu (via China Air), with an open-ended return date on the same route. Both United and American really had high prices as compared to the travel agents I was using. I should mention that we started shopping about 2.5 to 3 months ago. I might also point out that this price was obtained at the high season (Chinese New Year.) She will be staying for 89 days. After that, the price jumped to $1400 round trip, once she crossed the 90 day mark.

BTW, like Richard stated in a previous post; the 12 to 13 hour sucks no matter what airline you fly on.

Dave

Rahm,

Just to add my two fen, I have flown both airlines round trips, approximately 8 (2 w/American & 6 w/United) times, both flying to Pudong International (Shanghai) and Beijing International.

Three times out of Chicago and 5 times out of Los Angeles. IMHO, United seemed to be far more traveler efficient and/or friendly than American.

Several times, due to my size and a few frequent trips (frequent mileage) I was upgraded from coach to Business class, without my even asking. This decision was made at the check-in points and I wasn't even aware of it, until I was paged and informed of it. AA has never done this once.

At debarkation points, United usually had "guides" all along the way to ensure travelers got to where they needed to go. On this point alone, I know that AA had fewer than one or two. Employees on the China side of the house, really seemed friendly and very customer oriented. This was a fact that my wife mentioned when she flew from Beijing to Chicago by herself. The first time as a K3 immigrant and the second time on vacation. The first time she was very nervous and had troubles understanding the Customs declaration. A United stewardess asked her to wait a few minutes, and later returned to help her fill forms out, answered her questions, etc, etc. My wife really appreciated this. Needless to say, you can guess which airline my wife chooses and states is the best!

AA does have cheaper prices, most esp. with the ANA network, which AA and several other airlines have a major a major hub at Narita International (Tokyo) and Kimpo International (Seoul), thereby having good computer connections to route customers around, make continuing flight connections with, and finally reducing overall costs.

United IMHO and observations, focuses on obtaining customers, not losing baggage, reducing flight delays to an absolute minimum (I have had only one flight ETA thrown off and that was due to weather conditions, that no one could have controlled), establishing rapport with travelers in order to have repeat business.

Now! The bad part! United has a tenure system among the air crews. The more senior the employee, they have tenure and are able to get long flights and more money in their paycheck! At the risk of sounding sexist, there is no way I would want to join the "mile-high" club with United stewardesses.

I usually take two sleeping pills and a shot of Jack Daniels, tell the stewardess/cabin attendant not to wake me, unless the plane is going down and/or on major meals and finally give them a wake-up time for me! I did this on one flight and the attendant woke me on the requested time. She scared the shit out of me when I see a concerned, albeit a "face that only mother loved,"awaking me!

In short; Myself and my wife would both personally would opt for United.

With the worsening US economy, My wife and myself have begun using Chinese travel agents in the San Diego area. Their prices were approximately $300 to $400 dollars cheaper that the airlines we are discussing.

However, concessions were made. I will take my wife to LAX via private auto, and she will fly from LAX to Beijing on China Air. We have never done this before. Please understand in many trips I have made into China, I have never had one single problem with China Air domestically. From LAX to China? Now this is something we are both wondering about! However, the price was very good; $825 round-trip from LAX to Beijing, and final leg from Beijing to Chengdu (via China Air), with an open-ended return date on the same route. Both United and American really had high prices as compared to the travel agents I was using. I should mention that we started shopping about 2.5 to 3 months ago. I might also point out that this price was obtained at the high season (Chinese New Year.) She will be staying for 89 days. After that, the price jumped to $1400 round trip, once she crossed the 90 day mark.

BTW, like Richard stated in a previous post; the 12 to 13 hour sucks no matter what airline you fly on.

Dave

Got 838 for United from Madison to Shanghai for Chinese New Year. From Agent too :D