up to a challange ?

Guest Rob & Jin

By any chance did it come up with a blue screen saying a system error?

umm.. yes

If you have more than one memory stick, use the process of elimination to see if one of them is bad. If you have only one, then try a new one. I had this exact same problem and it was a bad memory stick.

Guest Rob & Jin

By any chance did it come up with a blue screen saying a system error?

umm.. yes

If you have more than one memory stick, use the process of elimination to see if one of them is bad. If you have only one, then try a new one. I had this exact same problem and it was a bad memory stick.

its all on c drive :mf_sleep:

its all on c drive :mf_sleep:

I think he means the memory card, on your motherboard.

I had mine die in January with a blue screen of death. Would not boot the hard disk. I had to change the system board, while I was at it I upgraded disk and went to a DVD recorder. Any way I never could get my old disk unit to boot it would always bluescreen. Once I built the new system, I placed the disk in a usb enclosure. Through windows it would never see any files and the system would crash any time it was loaded. I purchased a disk recover utility that would run in DOS mode. Saved all of the important data on the drive. This was important cause I had tax information on the old drive. Had to buy another tax cut program to access the data, but I did recover it intact. TaxCut on the other hand pissed me off, cause they could see I bought the program online, I was within the 30 re-download period. Always said they would help me get the program and never did send it. Seems like I will try turbo tax next year. Anyway, if you have information on the old drive, it's not totally dead, but you can't see the data, you might be able to recover it using a disk recovry utility.

One easy solution, let all get in line for Black Friday. My laptop hard drive crash this morning and I said forget it I will replace the whole thing instead of just the hard drive it self. It did its job for the past 8 years without much upgrade. Now let see if this new one would do that.

Joe

Remove the hard drive.

Take the hard drive to another computer, mount as a slave drive.

Review the newly mounted slave, see whats there.

Can't get a 2nd computer, you say?

Get to a friend's house - make a Knoppix CD after you've downloaded a Knoppix ISO. Boot, then make samba 'live', xfer the files to another computer via windows file sharing.

Not make sense? send the hard drive to me, i'll fix you - or at least save yer data.

Nota Bene - If you used the 'Recovery CD' - I can't help you - as Winders reformatted yer drive.

If it's really important to save the data on that drive. Stop. Remove the drive. Get it to a data recovery company, be prepared to spend ~4000.00 bucks.