up to a challange ?

Guest Rob & Jin

If you have more than one memory stick, use the process of elimination to see if one of them is bad. If you have only one, then try a new one. I had this exact same problem and it was a bad memory stick.

its all on c drive :mf_sleep:

I think he means the memory card, on your motherboard.

What Randy said.

can anyone help ?

The BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH? Thats sucks!! :o

Been down this road before.

I thought i lost everything, I mean Everything All the visa paper work and all the copy's

Now here is the most important question, Did you do normal weekly/monthly backup's?

If so, No problem.

Just use windows XP, (If that is what you have) Cd and boot from the Cd.

Then try to use windows recovery from your backup.

If ya have no back up like i didn't.

Then your some what screwed but not quit yet screwed.

Or like Darnell said:

make a Knoppix CD after you've downloaded a Knoppix ISO. Boot, then make samba 'live', xfer the files to another computer via windows file sharing.

Now mind you this does work.

But if your not computer savy, then it can be a bit difficult.

The way i got all my info back was.

I went out and bought a new hard drive.

Install BOTH the new drive and the old BADdrive

And then set them up again like Darnell said:

mount as a slave drive.

Review the newly mounted slave, see whats there

Then try windows restore from the windows CD to the new drive.

If the old drive still spins up you might get lucky with some of the disk recovery tools/software out on the market today.

If the old drive does not spin up?

Then get ready to spent some money$$$$$

get get it back.

All your info is still there, trust me it is!!

You may just have to spend some money to get it back.

Good luck! I know how it feels.

Mike

Then

On a totally 'different' note. One of my clients is a pc bench repair shop. They've been doing this thing called an 'operating system overlay' - which basically reloads those pieces of the OS that got damaged, leaving the rest of the file system intact.

I don't know how it's done, I always carry a knoppix cd, shuttle xpc running winders, and a small router in my emergency kit, I'm more prone to 'get to data' with knoppix , even with a blue screen on the original 'problem computer'. But - I don't do 'emergency recovery' as a line o business, I only do it when 'that' machine went south and my client's non-backed-up data is on it. It's usually some sole proprietor who has his 'priceless designs' on one computer, but had engaged my firm for other database work. Personally, my emergency kit has saved about 14 machines this year, but 4 of those were in my data center.

But... any 'local' pc shop (not a chain) SHOULD be able to do an operating system overlay. I didn't trust it at all until I saw 11 machines recovered in one afternoon using 'this' technique.

Regardless of what 'approach' you use for fixing it - IF and ONLY IF you've gone through the 'restore CD' (sorry, i always mix up 'recovery' and 'restore' - it's the 'OS' cd the manufacturer shipped with the computer) - then it's gone through a reformat (maybe) - and if it's been reformatted, a DATA RECOVERY firm can get to most of it, maybe... They're expensive, prices range from 250 to 4000. Usually the 4000 recovery though - a bullet went through the hard drive..

On a totally 'different' note. One of my clients is a pc bench repair shop. They've been doing this thing called an 'operating system overlay' - which basically reloads those pieces of the OS that got damaged, leaving the rest of the file system intact.

How does this differ from the 'Repair' option on the XP installation CD?

Randy - beats me - I've no idea - except, it's not a 'repair' option. I do know they made a special OS CD with 'slipstream methodologies', but other than that, it's elfin magic, to me. They Boot with that CD, it figures it out, loads what it needs, reboots the computer - life is grand.

Randy - beats me - I've no idea - except, it's not a 'repair' option. I do know they made a special OS CD with 'slipstream methodologies', but other than that, it's elfin magic, to me. They Boot with that CD, it figures it out, loads what it needs, reboots the computer - life is grand.

Yes, that's exactly what the 'Repair' option will do.

Hopefully, they'll do a little more for your money. Most places will just reformat your hard drive and re-install the OS for you.

Randy, ya I understand wot yer saying, but...

This thing skips many steps , as compared to the 'repair' option.

Some bright tech figured it out last year, published it on the interwebs - my client's tech's have been doing it using this technique, successfully, since then. For them, it takes much less time.

Randy, ya I understand wot yer saying, but...

This thing skips many steps , as compared to the 'repair' option.

Some bright tech figured it out last year, published it on the interwebs - my client's tech's have been doing it using this technique, successfully, since then. For them, it takes much less time.

OK - just wondering.

I tend to do my own bit-shuffling, rather than pay someone else.

I'm not a computer guy. Now that's established, I thought I saw some terms in this thread that bear discussion.

1. Restore- When I read this term I figure the term is used in relation to the somewhat standard "System Restore" currently available on Win XP & Win Vista Operating systems (OS).

It is my understanding that neither 'restore to previous known good configuration' nor choose your own "Restore point" will re-format the drive. The problem with blue screen of death or, any, failure to boot is you can't get there. Well, at least not intuitively nor easily.

2. Repair- A term used when 'repairing' your OS using the original installation disc. The trouble is, a lot of machines, mine included no longer come with a disc. The original installation is on a 'partition', "D" in my case. If I select 'repair' something-something from my boot menu there is a specific warning "All your Data will be lost!" "Do you want to continue?

No, don't continue if you don't have a back up. If you already did this be prepared to contact a data recovery outfit. Unless, as mentioned, you have the somewhat mandatory data backup(s). See Mozy.com for a free consumer utility.

3. Format or re-format. Don't do it. For all practical purposes your data will be lost.

4. Slipstream. I have seen this term used to describe a process whereby, for example, XP & XP1 & XP2 & XP3 are combined into a single installation process. This results in do it all at once, time saving, installation.

You need enough gumption and savvy, or somebody to walk you through it, to get your system to boot.

Don't want to take it in?

Do what I did for $56, or so, call Microsoft. Your support repair ticket is good until your problem is solved.

Don't go ahead willy-nilly. Do not re-format. Do not do a system recovery or add a new partition without instructions.

can anyone help ?

my computer also died last week.....went to best buy and bought new computer.....problem solved :ph34r:

i think was the boot sector in mine that died as it would not boot up and could not do anything with my restore disks....7 years old...guess it was just its time

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)