Regardless of our personal lives the USA remains a Euro-centric culture with Euro-centric concerns.

Japan buried TONS of chemical weapons in China before their retreat. Another CCTV9 program tells of how people TODAY are coming into contact (via construction) and becoming exposed to the likes of mustard gas or worse. Chinese people are still dying as a result of these weapons.

In August, 2003 Chinese citizens won a law suit against the Japanese government in Japan for damages. The Japanese law-makers gave all sorts of 'mei-cupas' but I do not know if a penny has been sent to these poor families as a result of this judgement.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
Can't we all just get along?  let's keep this on topic. It is in the appropriate place and is an interesting topic that could be discussed and maybe enlightening.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

155076[/snapback]

We are ALL different here, unique with our own personalities and perceptions of the events that take place on this planet. First, let me be sure to extend an apology to tywy_99. The use of the violin was NOT intended to minimize the cost of these events.

The members of this site are a diverse people with a wide array of opinions. I quickly sensed the passion in this post and think it quite appropriate for the site. I noticed the thread becoming laced with negative thoughts about the Japanese and American governments. We all have passion when it comes to the fair treatment of those we love.

While the events expressed in this post surpasse being regrettable, it certainly has taken an unfavorable turn toward US and Japan bashing. That is the ONLY reason that I suggest it be moved.

Can't we all just get along?  let's keep this on topic. It is in the appropriate place and is an interesting topic that could be discussed and maybe enlightening.  :P  :smartass:

155076[/snapback]

We are ALL different here, unique with our own personalities and perceptions of the events that take place on this planet. First, let me be sure to extend an apology to tywy_99. The use of the violin was NOT intended to minimize the cost of these events.

The members of this site are a diverse people with a wide array of opinions. I quickly sensed the passion in this post and think it quite appropriate for the site. I noticed the thread becoming laced with negative thoughts about the Japanese and American governments. We all have passion when it comes to the fair treatment of those we love.

While the events expressed in this post surpasse being regrettable, it certainly has taken an unfavorable turn toward US and Japan bashing. That is the ONLY reason that I suggest it be moved.

155229[/snapback]

Understood Jesse but this is a topic that, while emotion evoking, is of interest to us all. Moving it to the padded cell will limit the views it gets and would insure that it goes off topic. For now I think it is best left where it is.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Understood Jesse but this is a topic that, while emotion evoking, is of interest to us all. Moving it to the padded cell will limit the views it gets and would insure that it goes off topic.  For now I think it is best left where it is.

155300[/snapback]

That's fine Trigg, I understand that, and it's good that others see it. I am only saying that regardless our personal views that each and every one make an attempt to keep things on a positive note. Bashing a government, people, or culture does little if anything to help what went wrong to begin with. Each and every country of the world has crap in the closet.

Understood Jesse but this is a topic that, while emotion evoking, is of interest to us all. Moving it to the padded cell will limit the views it gets and would insure that it goes off topic.  For now I think it is best left where it is.

155300[/snapback]

That's fine Trigg, I understand that, and it's good that others see it. I am only saying that regardless our personal views that each and every one make an attempt to keep things on a positive note. Bashing a government, people, or culture does little if anything to help what went wrong to begin with. Each and every country of the world has crap in the closet.

155301[/snapback]

Gotcha Jesse. Occasionally in the interest of keeping peace I withhold my personal feelings--not often, but occasionally. When it pertains to one country aggressing on another--the best that I would be able to say about that country would be bashing it. Every country mentioned has done just that and I cannot remember any of them saying --oops sorry 'bout that. Human nature my friend. To apologize means admitting a wrongful mistake--not many really want to do that.--OK, sorry I interrupted this thread!

Can't we all just get along?  let's keep this on topic. It is in the appropriate place and is an interesting topic that could be discussed and maybe enlightening.  :D  :smartass:

155076[/snapback]

155229[/snapback]

No problem, Jesse. I just assume to bury the hatchet here and now. I must admit, I did get caught up in this post but it was the way I found it; or it found me.

I remember when SBS posted this after I stumbled on it. It was just too strange to me to come across it on the day it is all about without even looking for it. It put me in a daze for the rest of the day.

My wife had said something about this day on Saturday and I didn't listen to her. That didn't make me feel any better after coming across this post. But I have an excuse; I'm American :D.

Just too damn strange. Sunday was indeed a weird day for me.

And a thanks goes to you, Trigg, for keeping things on the right track. You handled it remarkabley well. Just like a good moderator should.

Nice stroll down memory lane. I kinda miss enights sharp tongue and acerbic wit. Understandably there are many hard feelings between China and Japan over the war. Japan probably never will outright apologise but I know from experience that many Japanese know it was wrong. I also seriously doubt that many Japanese would support a military build up or changing the constitution to allow an army capable of another such offensive action. They are fairly content to allow the US to foot the bill for their defense. Some things to ponder though.

Has Germany adequately apologized to the Jews for the Holocaust?

Has the US adequately apologized to the native Americans for stealing their land?

How about the US upsetting the legitimate monarchy of Hawaii and annexing that territory? Native Hawaiians didn't even get as good a deal as the Native Americans did.

How about the millions of Chinese killed in the cultural revolution? I don't recall Mao apologizing for that.

Has France apologised for making Vietnam a colony? How about Holland and Indonesia?

My point is war is atrocious. It has been since the dawn of time and no country is immune from committing atrocities in war. All this talk about how Japan should prostrate themselves in apology is silly. We should all be on our knees begging forgiveness.

Guest ShaQuaNew
My point is war is atrocious. It has been since the dawn of time and no country is immune from committing atrocities in war.  All this talk about how Japan should prostrate themselves in apology is silly.  We should all be on our knees begging forgiveness.

156927[/snapback]

WAR! What is it good for.....? Absolutely nuttin.....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I have noticed in most things, Japanese are less about applying blame, apologies, etc then they are about "how do we fix it?" "how do we move on from here?" While they do have a lot to answer for (and as Carl points out, so do we all) there is a lot to be said about that attitude. Here in our own country we are much more concerned about pointing fingers and affixing blame when things go wrong, then we are about actually DOING anything about it.